Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

MODZ to the XLR

bearhntr

My XLR/V(s)
2008 Elektra Blue XLR
I have just purchased a 2008 Elektra Blue XLR in Jun '16. My new TOY. I love her/him - not decided on a name yet, so not gender assigned. :)

I wanted one of these from the first time I saw one, and I finally got to a point financially where I could have a 2nd car. I am so excited to make it "MINE" (i.e. customized). I have been reading these forums for over a week, getting all sorts of ideas - I am so glad I found this place.

Here are the things I would like to do - and wanted some input.

1) Want to replace all the std bulbs with bright white LEDs. The interior trunk lights were a breeze. I have already purchased replacements for the backup lights, the plate lights and the little ones in the headlight assemblies (I agree - why would you put those ugly yellowish lights next to the nice HIDs?). My quandary at this time is.... HOW THE HELL do you get the trunk trim off? I have broken two clips already - using a small screw driver to pry out the middle portion of the clips. (speaking of which, anyone have the part numbers for those, so I can order more?). I know there has to be an easy way to get this trim off. I guess they want you to bring to the dealership.

2) I want to replace the fog lights with BRIGHT WHITE LEDs as well. I bought these as well. Cannot figure out how to get to them other than through the wheel well. Is that the only way?

3) Gotta figure out the best way from all the posts of getting the headlight assemblies out as well to replace those little bulbs there with LEDs.

4) I want to replace my XLR grill with one of these: E&G Classics(R) - Cadillac XLR 2008 Classic Chrome Fine Mesh Grille I am thinking that would make a huge impact statement. Just have to get one, and figure out how to get the emblem off mine (ore get a new one).

5) Are the decklid liner and hood liners still available anywhere? Anyone have the part numbers for these?

6) I have seen some mods for gull-wing doors on the Internet. Anyone tried those? I think they are awesome looking.

7) I have a few stone bruises in my paint - I guess previous owner did not care about them. Best way to repair them? Also my mirrors are scratched (maybe someone hit the garage entrance :) before I bought it), should I have them repainted?

I look forward to any and all input. Please keep it positive. Also I need to take some nice pics to post on here. I love looking at all the other pictures on here.

Much Thanks in advance.

*BH*

Welcome! I can help with the hood liner: try these folks CAR Motorsports. They did both of ours, will do custom designs, & are great to work with. Got my trunk liner from elsewhere that I wouldn't recommend, don't know if carmotorsports will do those BUT for me it was a waste of $ - no one really sees it. If I had it to do over I'd skip the trunk liner.

Be careful on all your light switch-outs -- XLR electronics are finicky & will do wonky & unexpected/unrelated things when you mess with them. If weird things happen, back track & undo add-ons.

Have fun & enjoy!

Hood liners are still available from gm, search any of the parts sites. Watch the shipping charges, most are a lot more than the part itself.

Welcome! I can help with the hood liner: try these folks CAR Motorsports. They did both of ours, will do custom designs, & are great to work with. Got my trunk liner from elsewhere that I wouldn't recommend, don't know if carmotorsports will do those BUT for me it was a waste of $ - no one really sees it. If I had it to do over I'd skip the trunk liner.

Be careful on all your light switch-outs -- XLR electronics are finicky & will do wonky & unexpected/unrelated things when you mess with them. If weird things happen, back track & undo add-ons.

Have fun & enjoy!

Thanks for the input. I was able to find the trunk liner at the place I used to buy parts for my BONNEVILLE SSEi:

Parts.com(R) | Acura Accessories Deck Lid Liner Embroidered XLR and Wreath and Crest Logo PartNumber 19169562

I ordered one. Now just gotta find the part number for the little pegs which hold the trunk liner in.

I am not looking to MOD the lights as much as I am to replace them all with cooler burning and longer lasting LEDs. I will play it safe, and thanks for the warning.

*BH*

I have just purchased a 2008 Elektra Blue XLR in Jun '16. My new TOY. I love her/him - not decided on a name yet, so not gender assigned. :)

I wanted one of these from the first time I saw one, and I finally got to a point financially where I could have a 2nd car. I am so excited to make it "MINE" (i.e. customized). I have been reading these forums for over a week, getting all sorts of ideas - I am so glad I found this place.

1) Want to replace all the std bulbs with bright white LEDs. The interior trunk lights were a breeze. I have already purchased replacements for the backup lights, the plate lights and the little ones in the headlight assemblies (I agree - why would you put those ugly yellowish lights next to the nice HIDs?). My quandary at this time is.... HOW THE HELL do you get the trunk trim off? I have broken two clips already - using a small screw driver to pry out the middle portion of the clips. (speaking of which, anyone have the part numbers for those, so I can order more?). I know there has to be an easy way to get this trim off. I guess they want you to bring to the dealership.

2) I want to replace the fog lights with BRIGHT WHITE LEDs as well. I bought these as well. Cannot figure out how to get to them other than through the wheel well. Is that the only way?

3) Gotta figure out the best way from all the posts of getting the headlight assemblies out as well to replace those little bulbs there with LEDs.

4) I want to replace my XLR grill with one of these: E&G Classics(R) - Cadillac XLR 2008 Classic Chrome Fine Mesh Grille I am thinking that would make a huge impact statement. Just have to get one, and figure out how to get the emblem off mine (ore get a new one).

5) Are the decklid liner and hood liners still available anywhere? Anyone have the part numbers for these?

6) I have seen some mods for gull-wing doors on the Internet. Anyone tried those? I think they are awesome looking.

7) I have a few stone bruises in my paint - I guess previous owner did not care about them. Best way to repair them? Also my mirrors are scratched (maybe someone hit the garage entrance :) before I bought it), should I have them repainted?

I look forward to any and all input. Please keep it positive. Also I need to take some nice pics to post on here. I love looking at all the other pictures on here.

Much Thanks in advance.

*BH*
If it was me i would get the mirror repainted. I as at the bank one day and the teller pushed the teller drawer right into my mirror. so when i got home i looked at the damage. the mirror had a big black mark on it. I then went to the manager the next day and had a report made up. They paid to have it repainted. I have some rock chips from everyday highway driving. But i had those touched up with the touch up paint i got from my dealer.

As i now am watching this site with all the discontinued parts forum very carefully. I think someone here said that there is a company in georgia . that does deck liners. Just search through the forum. CCClarke is still monitoring this site. He is a wealth of knowledge because he used to have a xlr.

I would like to replace my grill with the mesh one too but after i heard the price of one then the labor ( the whole front bumper has to be removed) i decided against it.

I would watch out because yes this cars can have grimlins in them and not liked to be messed with in the wiring compartment. I would ask or take it to your dealer unless you really know what your getting yourself into.

Thanks to all the replies thus far.

Failed to mention - I have already replaced the floormats with the LOYD PLUSHMATS embroidered with the crest and XLR (in black)...and they look awesome. The mats which were in the car when I got it were not for the XLR (not sure what car they were for, but kept sliding up.

I failed to mention...the black metal trim around the windows (my BONNEVILLE did it too) has become rough and looks like the paint is coming off. Where I bought the Bonneville from had a bumper to bumper warranty on it. I complained about it, they had the car for 4 days and got it back and they looked new. I am assuming they painted (rather than replaced) them. When I traded in the Bonneville on my Lincoln MKZ - they could not believe she had 121,000 miles on her. She looked brand new they said. I told them...I take care of my cars. :cool:

Anyone had this happen to theirs? What did you do?

*BH*

You need to get a kit of plastic auto trim tools, Little pry bars that won't mar finishes.

If you start on the fog light LED replacement you'll need them to pop the plastic retainers from the fender well(s) I have a thread on here about my replacement fog ight bulbs

The center emblem (like most of the others) is secured with double sided tape. A judicious use of a hard plastic/rubber spatula (or one of the tools from the trim removal kit) will get the emblem off.

5) Are the decklid liner and hood liners still available anywhere? Anyone have the part numbers for these?b

When I bought the factory trunk liner back in May, I am fairly certain that one was the last factory XLR liner in the country.

2016-05-28 13.00.29.jpg
6) I have seen some mods for gull-wing doors on the Internet. Anyone tried those? I think they are awesome lookin

Personally, meh. I've seen them but not up close. To each his own, if you like them, go for it.

7) I have a few stone bruises in my paint - I guess previous owner did not care about them. Best way to repair them? Also my mirrors are scratched (maybe someone hit the garage entrance :) before I bought it), should I have them repainted

If there's no dents, Dr Colorchip might be what you are looking for. I've used it on our XLR with great results. Repaint on the mirrors is probably your best bet

One thing I highly recommend is the Expel headlight protectors. Since the headlights are practically non-existent in parts inventories, the headlights need all the protection you can get for them. You also get two small pieces to apply over the fog lights. Clear bra protection for the hood and leading edges of the painted front end and fenders. Will protect the paint from bug crap, small projectiles. Clear bra and Expel headlight film was one of the first things I put on ours.

I've added more recent pictures in my gallery

Much Thanks in advance.

*BH*

Glad to see you on board here. Lots of information available. More than likely any problem you encounter with your XLR, it's been posted here on the forum, all you got to do is search for it.

Thanks for the input. I was able to find the trunk liner at the place I used to buy parts for my BONNEVILLE SSEi:

Parts.com(R) | Acura Accessories Deck Lid Liner Embroidered XLR and Wreath and Crest Logo PartNumber 19169562

I ordered one. Now just gotta find the part number for the little pegs which hold the trunk liner in.

I am not looking to MOD the lights as much as I am to replace them all with cooler burning and longer lasting LEDs. I will play it safe, and thanks for the warning.

*BH*
If it is indeed a GM part, it will have new plastic rivets for installation.

Thanks to all the responses so far...

...looking forward to making ym new baby feel like a one of a kind.

I did wind up buying the desklid liner with the embroidered logo and XLR.

Need to get me soemthing to get the plastic (REALLY?!?!? what happened to screws) thingies (yes, they are thingies - but trust me my first word for them was not kid friendly :mad: ) out. I have conceeded that they will have have to die to get them out. So I best have all my stuff ready to put n before I do the replacements...and make sure that all are working before I do it.

Does anyone know if there a newer software for the RADIO and NAV system? out of everything on the car that comes across CHEAP it has to be that horrible RADIO INTERFACE :confused:. Really white with 6 blue buttons? Cannot change anything. Cannot see the time, unless you are almost looking right at it.

I am guess there are also no direct replacments either which will work?

Half the time I am in the car it is VOICE BUTTON -- "SCREEN OFF". :rolleyes:

Thanks again all...

*BH*

NO LUCK ON DECK LID LINER

I have to correct this last post. I DID NOT GET THE PART I ORDERED. They took my billing information - then 6 days later told me that the part for the decklid liner was no longer available (BOY DID THAT LADY GET AN EAR FULL) I gave her the riot act and basically told her that they were underhanded and scrupulous. You do not collect billing information and other such information, and then call the person 6 days later and tell them that the part is not available.

She could not understand WHY I was so angry.

So I continue my search for the Deck Lid Liner. The place in Fayetteville, GA said they can embroider mine - if I remove it from the car. Problem is, I gotta get it off the car. I cannot get the little clips off. I need to find some kind of puller for them.

Thanks all......*BH*

...looking forward to making ym new baby feel like a one of a kind.

I did wind up buying the desklid liner with the embroidered logo and XLR.

Need to get me soemthing to get the plastic (REALLY?!?!? what happened to screws) thingies (yes, they are thingies - but trust me my first word for them was not kid friendly :mad: ) out. I have conceeded that they will have have to die to get them out. So I best have all my stuff ready to put n before I do the replacements...and make sure that all are working before I do it.

Does anyone know if there a newer software for the RADIO and NAV system? out of everything on the car that comes across CHEAP it has to be that horrible RADIO INTERFACE :confused:. Really white with 6 blue buttons? Cannot change anything. Cannot see the time, unless you are almost looking right at it.

I am guess there are also no direct replacments either which will work?

Half the time I am in the car it is VOICE BUTTON -- "SCREEN OFF". :rolleyes:

Thanks again all...

*BH*

I'd stop after the mesh grille upgrade,,,,,just me

"6) I have seen some mods for gull-wing doors on the Internet. "

You meant "Lambo Doors",,,not gull-wing doors i'm guessing? I'm thinking those are just a fad,,,ready to time out soon ,,,, and may lower your resale/trade value if/when you depart with the car. JMO

But,,if you like them.....spend the $$$

Glad you finally got a XLR :thumbsup

I have to correct this last post. I DID NOT GET THE PART I ORDERED. They took my billing information - then 6 days later told me that the part for the decklid liner was no longer available (BOY DID THAT LADY GET AN EAR FULL) I gave her the riot act and basically told her that they were underhanded and scrupulous. You do not collect billing information and other such information, and then call the person 6 days later and tell them that the part is not available.

She could not understand WHY I was so angry.

So I continue my search for the Deck Lid Liner. The place in Fayetteville, GA said they can embroider mine - if I remove it from the car. Problem is, I gotta get it off the car. I cannot get the little clips off. I need to find some kind of puller for them.

Thanks all......*BH*

This or something like it is what you need to remove the plastic buttons

Amazon.com: JC Performance Plastic Interior Wedge Tool - Automotive Trim tool (6 Piece, Red): Automotive

I installed the mesh grille you mentioned. You do not have to remove the bumper cover. Follow the instructions and go slow. The anchor points at the bottom of the original grille just pull out but it is not easy. I had to slightly bend the anchor points of the new grille to get the new grille to set at the correct angle but no big deal, just be careful if you need to bend them because they are castings. I used the wreath emblem from the original grille but I bought a new center crest to get fresh colors.The mesh grille is expensive but very well made, your old grille will seem like junk compared to the construction of the mesh grille. See my pictures.

Good luck.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back