Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

MPG Calculation - How is it calculated?

Anthony Cundari

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
had a 2007 XLR for 5 years - unfortunately I moved on to newer technology
Have you ever noticed that the AVG MPG increases when it should be unchanging? The calculation must be based on gas consumed per last x miles driven or last x minutes. For example I'm heading into OHIO from PA and the miles traveled are in the hundreds. Then as I cover the flatlands of OHIO, the MPG start increasing and it increases by substantial amounts. For example I might be seeing 27 MPG for the first 400 miles from Jersey and then it climbs over the last 100 miles cruising through Ohio and I end the trip with it showing 28.5 MPG (17.54 gals for 500 miles). This means 14.8 gals for 400 miles and then 2.74 gals for the 100 miles or 36.5 MPG! I know I not getting 36.5 to have raised the MPG to 28.5 but I probably was getting around 29 for most of that stretch. Of course when I fill the tanks, the amount of gas pumped is more than if the car had averaged the indicated MPG. The only conclusion is that it is not simply dividing miles by gas consumed but is calculating MPG over shorter periods. Does anyone know for sure?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom