Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

mufflers

68barracuda

My XLR/V(s)
2005 Xenon blue
has anyone out there cut the mufflers off or that have change them what are the best mufflers to use that make more sound

Here's an idea

Shortly after I bought my 2004 XLR I wanted to relive my youth. I wanted my XLR to sound the way my muscle cars of the past sounded. I loved the roar when I punched it taken off from the light and the gurgling it made as I let off on the throttle. The mellow sound it made while just cruising along the open road. It was music to my ears. I read all the comments about this and that exhaust systems that XLR owners had installed. I attended numerous car shows and XLR meets and listen to their exhaust. At one of the Corvette FunFest I even pulled the trigger on having a performance exhaust installed while there but, they didn't have one in stock. Once I got back home, I decided to find a custom exhaust shop and have them do what I had done in the old days. I found an old experienced independent exhaust shop that specialized in custom work. I had them cut off both mufflers and replace them with just straight stainless steel pipes and reinstalled the original tips. You can't tell by looking that it wasn't the original setup. But, boy did it sound great. Just like the old days. It was wonderful. The total cost was $150 dollars.

So before you install that $2,500 dollar exhaust try it, you have nothing to loose since you're going to replace it anyhow. I have before and after photos of the work, it looks as it came like that from the factory. I haven't figured out how to post photos on this site but, if you're interested I can email them.

MUFFLERS

has anyone out there cut the mufflers off or that have change them what are the best mufflers to use that make more sound

Yes, I had local muffler shop cut mine off installed magna flow stain steel & weld tips back on. looks & sounds great

Dave J

I also installed a different set of mufflers. Hookers they sound great. Makes it sound like a clean throaty v8 when on it. A touch louder than stock throughout the rpm unless you mash it then she screams. :thumbsup

Axle back systems - MBRP

I too wanted to get the sounds I remembered from my sports cars of yesteryear. I looked at the Corsa and Magnaflow complete systems, but that was a lot of money, for very little horsepower, and basically a noisemaker.

I ended up going with an axle back system, which includes the over the axle pipe, as well as the mufflers and tips (all polished stainless steel). The mufflers are basically the new version of glass packs from the old days, and, from the pictures below, you can see, they are a lot smaller than the stock. My setup was $600, delivered to my door - MBRP, the ones specified for a C6 Corvette.

If you are mechanically inclined, and have a jack and some jack stands, you can do it yourself. Otherwise, take it to a shop and do what the others have mentioned, whatever system you decide to use.

I will say this - the "drone" from these mufflers drives some people crazy, especially at the lower RPM's (<2000). For whatever reason, there is a resonance with these cars that gets amplified. You can't turn it off - but I loved it on my base. They attract attention, even from the cops...

I think this is why the V's have the dual mode, to keep people happy at the normal driving mode - even though I drive mine with the "wild" mode most of the time - except when I have my wife in the car! :D

DSCN1309.jpgIMAG0279.jpg

Went with the Corsa, found a set on Amazon for $759.00 Prime shipped.....love the sound. :thumbsup

wow, can you give us more specifics? like are there more avaialble? or was it a one off? used setup?
that is a smokin deal. i would have pulled the trigger too.

for what it's worth, i have an 04 C5 commemorative ed convertible that i changed the exhaust out on a bit ago to the billy boat mild to wild switchable system that is an option on the C6 and C7 corvettes. i happen to love both sides of the sound and the fact that i control it with a button push. it uses an RF fob to switch it between a sound similar to their route 66 set up (the mild side) and their much more aggressive set up, all controlled by the push of a fob button. i decided (after reading opinions on the cadillac forum and here) that for me the best option was the same set up and since the XLR is pretty much C6 on the underside, i contacted billy boat, got the correct system part number and then ordered the set up from one of the supporting vendors on both this site and the cadillac forum site. just another opinion, however.

Interesting on just doing axle back. Definitely have to have mufflers here in Texas (to pass inspection.)

Interesting on just doing axle back. Definitely have to have mufflers here in Texas (to pass inspection.)

I had a muffler shop install magna flow stainless steel to the stock pipes. sounds & looks great

David J.

I had a muffler shop install magna flow stainless steel to the stock pipes. sounds & looks great

David J.

This is exactly what one of my Vette friends recommended lo me last night! Do you have a link to the ones the shop installed for you? And pictures of them on your XLR?

Thanks!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back