Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Must read: Replacing trunk lid struts

We had on and off rain in my area last weekend and since I have have to pull the XLR out of the garage to do the work I put it off till this weekend. Update to follow when finfished.
Ya we been raining here also been cleaning the hydraulic fluid off the trunk floor and replacing the cylinder on the other side main roof lift. The best advice is if you replace one the other side needs to be replaced. I'd rather do it now than wait till summer gets here as this job is a real bitch to do laying on your back to bolt and unbolt the rear plate. I suppose if I were younger and lighter and smaller might make it less of a problem. I keep losing one of the bolts from the top rear the plate did it both sides, up and disappears without a trace got to get a magnet to hunt for it I guess. All comes down to "Fat man in a little jacket."

Last edited:
Ya we been raining here also been cleaning the hydraulic fluid off the trunk floor and replacing the cylinder on the other side main roof lift. The best advice is if you replace one the other side needs to be replaced. I'd rather do it now than wait till summer gets here as this job is a real bitch to do laying on your back to bolt and unbolt the rear plate. I suppose if I were younger and lighter and smaller might make it less of a problem. I keep losing one of the bolts from the top rear the plate did it both sides, up and disappears without a trace got to get a magnet to hunt for it I guess. All comes down to "Fat man in a little jacket."
Ok, both trunk lift supports replaced! This is what I learned. The first set a bought on Amazon

(Lift Supports Depot Qty (2) Fits Cadillac XLR 2004 To 2009 Rear Trunk 88957084 PM3863 SG330112)​

does fit the XLR but does not work if you are going to do the 'unscrew' bottom socket trick. That's because the OEM Sabilus Support bottom socket thread size is diffrent. So I took a closer look on Amazon and purchased

(Qty (2) Stabilus 5B-058117 Fits XLR 2004 To 2009 Rear Trunk Lift Supports)​

which are IDENTICAL to the OEM Stabilus Supports. I was able to unscrew the old support bottom and then rescrew in the new supports. I was done in 15 minutes.
This forum is great to do your research on anything XLR!
Thanks.

Ok, both trunk lift supports replaced! This is what I learned. The first set a bought on Amazon

(Lift Supports Depot Qty (2) Fits Cadillac XLR 2004 To 2009 Rear Trunk 88957084 PM3863 SG330112)​

does fit the XLR but does not work if you are going to do the 'unscrew' bottom socket trick. That's because the OEM Sabilus Support bottom socket thread size is diffrent. So I took a closer look on Amazon and purchased

(Qty (2) Stabilus 5B-058117 Fits XLR 2004 To 2009 Rear Trunk Lift Supports)​

which are IDENTICAL to the OEM Stabilus Supports. I was able to unscrew the old support bottom and then rescrew in the new supports. I was done in 15 minutes.
This forum is great to do your research on anything XLR!
Thanks.
There is no reason to unscrew anything the access is at the bottom both sides all that is needed is a flat head screw driver to hold the clip open at the bottom then pull it out after the socket is in the knob.

There is no reason to unscrew anything the access is at the bottom both sides all that is needed is a flat head screw driver to hold the clip open at the bottom then pull it out after the socket is in the knob.
Have you tried to replace the drivers side trunk support? ALL the hydraulic hoses, pump, electronics and reservoir are in the way to remove the bottom support socket. For me, the best way to change the driver side support is to unscrew the old then rescrew the new. You start messing with the hydraulics you'll be well into a few hours of labor and you're asking for TROUBLE.

Have you tried to replace the drivers side trunk support? ALL the hydraulic hoses, pump, electronics and reservoir are in the way to remove the bottom support socket. For me, the best way to change the driver side support is to unscrew the old then rescrew the new. You start messing with the hydraulics you'll be well into a few hours of labor and you're asking for TROUBLE.
Well you have to remove the trunk divider cover and carpet nothing to do with the hydraulics no problem you got it done I must have had more access to the strut as I was replacing the left side main top cylinder at the same time because the trunk kept shutting on me and all that was removed. So anyone replacing them now have 2 choices to install.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom