Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

My Bluetooth and Smartphone Solution

Maybe I am doing something wrong but I can't get the hands free to work. The phone is paired and if I input calls from the screen it works fine.
I have a newly installed Kenwood DNX696S. Any suggestions? Thx.

Unless you have a SWI installed and properly set up, hands free won't work from the steering wheel won't work

Hey

I have the Co-Star Bluestar unit installed in my X. Just plugs into where the On-Star unit plugs in behind on the passenger side. Works great. Pair it with my cell phone. Use the steering wheel controls or the mirror controls, voice commands and the phone works great, In-coming and out-going. Only thing it does not do is show the call being placed or received on the IP read out, as the On-Star set up did. Supposed to be able to plug things into the unit out back to do other media things, but that was not my goal.

Bill

Last edited:
I have an Axxess ASWC-1. The radio controls work. Voice command doesn't work. SCRL doesn't work.
Crutchfield says the AWSC-1 needs to be remapped.

I am using the USA Spec BT-45 unit. In my 2008, you just remove the rear center compartment, unplug the harness from the XM receiver and loop in the new BT unit. Took about 20 min to install. Sounds great and gives me full phone connectivity while retaining all dash and steering wheel controls. ☺️

OK are really three options that work but first you need a cell phone mount. The CD slot is an ideal spot since there is nothing near and since none of these include Apple CarPlay/Android Auto (have a NavTool in my CTS coupe) you are going to need access to the cellphone.

The first two depend on whether you have an aux in jack (do any XLRs ?)
If not then the Anker ROAV I mentioned earlier is the most cost effective choice.
If you have an aux input jack then I would suggest the MPOW MBR2 Bluetooth Car Kit.
And if cost/complexity is no object, then the COSTAR Bluetooth adapter is the best I've seen since it retains the steering wheel controls.

Hey

Very easy install. It is not that expensive. Pretty sure you can get one for under two hundred bucks. Watch E-Bay . Really think that is the way to go.

The BLUE-STAR II is an integrated communications system designed to allow Bluetooth communications in your GM vehicle. It works by utilizing the on-star equipment in your vehicle (microphone and mirror keypad) to communicate to a hands free car kit which connects to your cellphone. There are NO EXTRA CHARGES to pay EVER. You use YOUR phone with YOUR minutes as you see fit. Better yet, the BLUE-STAR is invisible in your vehicle. There are no wires to run, no speakers to install, no microphone to route, and no ugly chrome keypad glued to your dash. And since the BLUE-STAR takes advantage of the high quality sound equipment already installed in your vehicle, the audio quality is far superior to other Bluetooth options including car kits and headsets.
Make calls, answer calls, mute calls, and transfer calls all using the existing on-star mirror buttons. And if your phone is equipped with voice dialing, you can do it all with the touch of a button. The BLUE-STAR device installs in minutes. Simple locate your on-star module, unplug it and plug in the BLUE-STAR. That's all there is to it. The BLUE-STAR will utilize your steering wheel control to answer calls, end calls, and place calls using your cell phones voice dial feature

Bill

Last edited:
Agree, just was pointing out less expensive alternatives particularly since there is a large open space by the CD-slot.

OTOH I have not found the right 1st XLR yet. 100-120k miles is fine. Prefer in Florida. Wonder what effect the likely coming panic might have on prices.

I like the sound of this option, Bill S. I just bought my 05 last fall and am planning to put it on the road very soon. My initial thought on the whole radio subject was ‘get a unit from a newer junkyard vette with aux jack on that face. Does anyone know if that would be considered plug and play with the XLR unit?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom