Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Need Headlight Update

shavdog

My XLR/V(s)
1993 Allante
Can someone give me a headlight replacement update...I have gone thru pages of comments here and do appreciate the efforts to resolve....couple of questions:

Has anyone come up with a complete assembly replacement? Are the junkyard prices still 2-5k per side

If melting from heat has happened does the entire assembly have to be replaced or just some piece inside the assembly

Are bulbs readily available?....Did GM ever recommend a fix?

Is this a problem for all yrs 2004-09 or just certain yrs and if heat is the issue will all XLR's eventually have the issue

This stuff is a real bummer to see and GM has no supply of parts....I have a 2007 ready to purchase but I need to get my head around this before handing over the money...thanks for any input....

Doing more reading, it looks like the amber signal light is the problem...and at a mimimum I would think be replaced by a led light...I see where some guy in Canada actually restores headlights....at a reasonable price....maybe thats the end of my research on this problem...I'm ok with the shock replacement threads....any other major issues I need to be aware of?...I know the first thing I would do is put in a new battery and tender that I use every day on my allante...

There's some discussion in the Facebook group about someone doing re-pops of the lights... everyone is waiting to see how that pans out

To answer your question - the 06 and up were "fixed" and I think GM used different plastic in the lens to prevent melting in the newer version.

Additionally - as you had pointed out - most everyone around here have switched to LEDs to prevent any future problems with heat.

You can turn off he lights, including the running lights entirely, thus "saving" the bulbs' service life. You'll have to turn them off using the "light stalk" on the left of the steering wheel, again, each time you run the car. Since I'm as old as dirt, I don't drive much at night, so, with few hours on the bulbs, they'll likely last and last. Regarding the purchase anxiety, I went through this years ago when I purchased my 2007--- some thoughts, buy one with the lowest mileage you can afford, and have the ones you consider purchasing carefully assessed for wear and tear issues. THese are durable, well engineered cars, and will provide you with a great deal of enjoyment... I also urge you to have ALL fluids changed --- there have been updates by GM on differential and transmission oil recommendations, and those two, along with the Dex coolant and brake fluid are significant and important. I also changed out the power steering fluid. My car just turned 30K miles, but the tech who did the fluid changes told me they were all "due" for changes--age, moisture intrusion, and contaminants. I hope you find the right one. THey are terrific cars, and this web site is a great place to come for advice and support. James

James....with your 2007 did you change out your front amber turn signal bulbs to led?....just curious about that if you noticed any melting or is that and earlier model issue.......Today I did purchase a 2007. I am having them throw in a new battery as the one in there is 6 yrs old and I have a battery tender in the garage ...the fluid change is a good idea....you do that at the cadillac dealer?

Regarding your question about the lens, they still look as they should...your other question-- I am very fortunate to have a local, independent technician here in Maine, who is smart (researches and reads), is very familiar with Corvettes, and is an all around decent person. Aside from the fluid changes, he detected an annoying squeak that turned out to be a worn serpentine belt, which is a challenge to change, and he did that for me as well as putting on two rear struts that were worn. Congratulations on the '07, you've got the transmission upgrade! Tell us some more details on your new purchase... and welcome--- I noticed that you too own(ed) an Allante. I had a 91 for many years. I loved that car, but the XLR is so much more refined, and in so many ways. Looking forward to reading more details about your new purchase Happy day, James

Headlight melters were mainly in the first two years models.......and replaced under warranty if the owner
ever noticed and returned to the dealer for replacement. I imagine many owners didn't notice the defect/flaw and did nothing about it. At this point in time if you have 'melters' than you can live with them or pay the price
for a "good" replacement from the sellers. We were lucky as the original owner had them replaced.

Turn OFF the amber lights with a quick flip of the switch on your headlight control level.....

I had the melted amber lights on my 2004 XLR and just took the assembly and carefully heated the sealed unit with a common hairdryer until I could get it apart. Then I just cut-out the melted lens and use amber bulbs. Works great so far.

Took it to a garage who took a heat gun/hairdryer and heated up each headlight assembly until they would come apart.

Then he cut the melted lense away so it did not attach to the light.

Put in new amber lightbulbs.

Glued the assembly back together.

Ill send you pics later today.

Bobby

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_2039.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2039.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 282
  • thumbnail_IMG_2040.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2040.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 271
  • thumbnail_IMG_2041.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2041.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 261
you can buy new upper lens for less than 200 each side . Several good shops in almost every state can recondition them. The guy in Canada does not make the upper lens and only one person does. The only thing gm did was change the bulb holders in 06 and they sit back a little farther from the lens >they still get too hot and burn out .All years will burn out if you do not change them to led or make sure to keep them turned off. NO ONE is making a replacements for the headlight. People have been claiming to work on a replacement for the last 5 years .aT least a dozen or more people have claimed they can do it. NO one has. IT is not going to happen for years and most likely never will .if you watch you can buy nice used ones for less than 2000 on ebay . I have seen a few go for around 1000. The 04/05 lights ONLY work in 04/05 and cannot be made to work in 06-09 without cutting welding and fabrication of the light above most peoples ability. 06-09 can be made to work in all years with an adapter for 04-05 . If anyone wants upper lens I have a few and can put you in touch with a great repair shop in Texas and the seller of the lens.

The burnt drl lens happens to all years 04-09. GM never did anything to fix the issue. As far as a replacement lens for that burnt out DRL, a shop in Houston called IQHeadlights manufactures them

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210104-215650_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210104-215650_Facebook.jpg
    380.4 KB · Views: 233
that is not true. They install the upper lens. I manufacture new ones.. He has a couple of used lens he has taken out of lights an cleaned up a little but they still are old and may be brittle .If you buy the used ones make sure you get a warranty

that is not true. They install the upper lens. I manufacture new ones.. He has a couple of used lens he has taken out of lights an cleaned up a little but they still are old and may be brittle .If you buy the used ones make sure you get a warranty
It is true, call them and ask for yourself... How do I know? Because I had them done with them.

I am not going to argue. Anybody want to use them, Thats fine .They do a very good job . I have sold several sets and had owners even drive from Florida to there to get them repaired. I highly them .Just try and buy the new lens from them. I will just stop selling to them
and see .Maybe they can get them from someone else . I will just keep the ones I have for my own use.

Update: they are now offering tinted/black out lenses as well!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210115-121200_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20210115-121200_Instagram.jpg
    787.8 KB · Views: 228
thats one of the reasons people dont make parts for the xlr .You go to a lot of expense to make a proper replacement part out of the proper material then someone buys one and does a knock off that is cheap and will not last .

I'm guessing you've had a set of these installed? How long did they last you?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom