Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

New Hotchkis Front & Rear Sway Bars installed

richardyoo

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Silver XLR-V
I braved the Houston heat today and installed the new front and rear sway bars I had sitting in my garage that I had ordered from D3 a few months ago. They're actually the Corvette C6/ZO6 Sport Sway Bar Set from Hotchkis but fit fine on my XLR-V.

From what I know the new front bar is 1 1/4" tubular steel - 20% Stiffer than the stock XLR-V bar (which is the same as the Z51 and Z06 Vette)... and the rear is a 1 1/8" adjustable bar - Stiffness increase over the stock XLR-V bar (same as Z51) is adjustable to +15%, +45%, +80%. Stiffness increase compared to the stock ZO6 bar is adjustable to -15%, Same, +30%. I put mine in the middle position to start with as recommended by D3.

Everything seems to be of good quality and fits really well. Nothing weird in the installation and everything was straight forward... I think I completed the whole thing in about 90mins with basic tools and some ramps, jack stands, and a floor jack.

Apparently the new bars will improve cornering, and will fix the the wobble in the rear in aggressive moves on the XLR-V. (I hated the wobble in the rear with the stock rear bar.) After a quick test drive, I can tell you that although the change is subtle, it does handle cornering at high speed much better. Also, they don't seem to change the regular ride characteristic much - speed bumps and such are fine. Still perfectly nice ride for daily driving.

Photos attached below....

The size difference between the stock front and the new replacement:

sway-bar-1.jpg

Front bar installed:

sway-bar-2.jpg

Another shot of front:

sway-bar-3.jpg

The size difference between the stock rear and the new replacement (makes the old stock bar look whimy)

sway-bar-4.jpg

New rear bar installed (jack stands removed for the photo)

sway-bar-5.jpg

That's cool!! Looks like they gave you new bushings too. Didn't have to change clamps did you?

Now you need to change the exhaust!! I see the factory exhaust vacum motors there!! Goes with Corsa, I like mine!

That's cool!! Looks like they gave you new bushings too. Didn't have to change clamps did you?

Now you need to change the exhaust!! I see the factory exhaust vacum motors there!! Goes with Corsa, I like mine!

Yes, the kit came with new bushings... but you use the stock clamps and other hardware.

As for the exhaust... I like the dual mode exhaust, and I do have a bypass switch the control the valves. At this point, I don't have any plans on the changing the back part of the exhaust.

The Vette has the NPP exhaust option which is essentially the same exhaust on the XLR-V... and from the dyno sheets I've seen of before/after with Corsa exhausts, I didn't see much of a reason to swap it out... especially after putting the valve bypass in. (ie, the bypass also improves hp output).

With that said, I do have a replacement header/cat set that I got from D3 that I haven't installed... I'm optimistic that the header/cat swap will be much more of an improvement than the cat-back exhaust in the XLR-V. I'll probably end up choosing a cooler and drier day for that mod, however. :D

The reason I put the Corsa's on mine was the drone noise in the cab with the stock system, that drove me nuts! I opened the bypass valve on mine before I got the Corsa's and the noise got to me!

The reason I put the Corsa's on mine was the drone noise in the cab with the stock system, that drove me nuts! I opened the bypass valve on mine before I got the Corsa's and the noise got to me!

I agree - the drone is terrible when open at low RPM... to be honest I drive with it in closed (car controls it) 95% of the time. But I open it up when I need it/want it

I installed the Hotchkis on my non V big inprovement as i didn't have a rear bar, had to order the clamps also for the rear. :cool:

I called Stillen today and the price is $406.18 for front and rear. Thanks for the headups and pics.:blinzel:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom