Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

New Member - 2009 Cadillac XLR

Jayharrington

My XLR/V(s)
2009 XLR Platinum, Black on Black on Black
Hello all -

A few days ago, I bought a 2009 XLR - it was a dream car of mine ever since I laid my eyes on one in the summer of 2008. I finally pulled the trigger. With that being said, I want to (1) introduce myself and (2) let the forum know my experience so far with the car.

First, I’m a commercial real estate attorney having practiced for nearly a decade in NYC. So, any real estate questions, please feel free to ask away, and I’ll help as best as I can! I also have a love of Harley’s, and own a couple of them. I recently got married and planned on traveling for the entire year of 2020; but, while in Egypt in early April, the Coronavirus really caught up to my wife and I; so we hightailed back to New York, after dealing with the US Embassy and a couple of senator’s offices to help get us back.

Enough about me... let’s move onto the car....

I’m in love with the car; but, just like any new (to me) toy, there’s a lot to figure out here - especially, with the forward-thinking design of the XLR. The exterior of mine is Black Raven and is in excellent condition. The Ebony interior is a little beat up - but overall, pretty good. Fortunately for me, one of the previous owners passed along the service diary - and the records show that it was pretty well taken care of over the years.

So, of course, like anything I do, I jump in head first - determined to know everything I can about this (sometimes, to the detriment of my new wife (gulp)). Here’s a list of comments/concerns/etc. that I’ve noticed with mine (and, I will continue - as I have been - to inhale these forum posts). Feel free to comment.

-Positive battery cable is not hugging the terminal as much as it should be causing some low-voltage problems. I cleaned the terminal and vice-gripped the clamp; but it seems to come loose still. Anyone else have this issue? FYI, Battery replaced 6-8 months ago.
-Yesterday, I removed both passenger and driver door pads. I cleaned them per a forum post with rubbing alcohol. It really made a much improved difference in the responsiveness of the door’s reaction in opening. However....that exercise may have affected my roof top’s ability to open. Today, after washing the car in the hot, Florida sun (my wife is from here), I tried to open the top. It didn’t work - the DIC reported that the roof top was over temp. I let cool for about an hour in an open-door garage; didn’t cure the problem. Also today, trunk has been acting strangely - sometimes working, sometimes stopping early-or-mid opening. I fear it may be connected to the door pad because prior to me cleaning the door pads, the roof top and trunk opened perfectly fine. Any thoughts? Important to note that the rooftop motor was replaced about 18 months ago.
-Possibly connected to the above, after I cleaned the door pads, both driver and passenger doors are acting funny when opening from the inside. Sometimes they will open; sometimes they won’t. And, sometimes, the passenger door won’t shut when closed. Anyone else experience the same thing? May be an actuator issue...?
-OnStar - I’ll likely get an OnStar account (for at least a few months) until I get more comfortable with this ride. Mainly for the purpose of running diagnostic reports - but, does anyone know if these reports are worth it? All I need to know is what code the computer is spitting out.
-Running into FOB key issues (e.g. No Fob, off or run), but, I’m hoping that’s solved with just a simple FOB key battery replacement.
-After buying the car, I had to make the trek to Florida from the purchase point - about 600 miles. I drove the highway - really loving the adaptive cruise control - however, my cruise control stopped working abruptly around 400 miles in. DIC stated “Service Radar Cruise”. So, I have to do that.
-As I was reading the past service records, I noticed about 2 years ago that a Caddy Tech recommended that the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver be replaced; however, the then-owner declined this service (likely knowing that he/she was selling the car in a short while). Any thoughts?

I have a few other issues too; but, feel the above is good for now. Feel free to comment on the above or to simply to tell me to post my questions elsewhere because the New Member Intro section isn’t the place for it! :)

Look forward to rockin-and-rollin with this car for the rest of my life!

~Jay

Pleasures all mine, Rob! Look forward to it!

Heya, Dan From PA, Welcome to the forum and funky world of XLR! The first thing I want to mentions is you need to check your main car battery, even if that's a fairly new battery a low or bad battery will cause these cars to act funky. We have an 05 with 103K which we purchased in March of 2011, so I've been around the block a few times....LOL. here is an example I had last year. The car was doing some of the things you mentioned like the FOB acting weird, changed the FOB battery. And 2 days later it would not unlock the door, then I came to find out the main battery was going bad and while talking about that these cars need to be on a battery tender if the car is setting more then about a 2 week period without being started. Now you did say about the cable being loose maybe it is not fully charging the battery, but I have never had a problem with terminals not staying tight on the post, and that could be your whole problem. Oh BTW cleaning the door contacts should not have anything to do with the symptoms you're experiencing. I was told these cars have around 48 computers to run this car, which is the reason for the battery drain, during no starting to recharge it, there are things that you will hear making noise when the car is just sitting in the garage. Good luck, do some searches and read the information here on the forum, there is a lot knowledgable XLR information here from past and present XLR owners and even few mechanics that's been under the hood, in the trunk, and everywhere else on these amazing cars. Anymore questions shout out!

Hey Jay, forgot to mention sometimes the fix on these cars is to do a relearn, like on the top, but these cars need a Tech2 reader, a normal OBD reader will not work to relearn the computers, most any Cadillac dealer or even some Chevrolet, GMC dealers, (that's who I've used, no Cadillac dealers are local to us) maybe be able to help you, but most of us try to find a garage with a certified XLR technician, but as our XLR's get older they are getting hard to find these technicians.

Last edited:
Welcome to the xlr world

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk and congrats on your new to you ride

Last edited:
Jay, You mention a loose battery cable. I have had the same problem for a few years. I have no idea what caused it and I am sure the cable should be replaced . However it has not caused any issues for me. If I was you I would replace the battery and when not using the car I would have it on a battery tender.
Good luck.
John F.

Hi Grand Daddy - thanks for the advice; I did some searching around and found some battery shims which I’m headed out shortly to purchase. I’m reading people are having loads of success with these shims. Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the overall advice - I look forward to learning the nitty, gritty on these cars - and using this forum as my foundation!

Jay

Hi Beaver - Thanks for the reply. I’m going to purchase some battery post shims ($3 at your local automotive store) and see what luck I have with that. Will keep you in the loop as to my success (or failure) with them!

Re the replacement of the positive cable, I bought both Chilton and Factory manuals; and, both tell me that replacing a positive terminal battery cable is quite the task. But, hopefully these shims (and a little prayer) will produce the desired result!

Jay

Welcome to the xlr world

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk and congrats on your new to you ride

Hawk - I appreciate it open arms - looking forward to absorbing it all.

BTW, I see you’re out of St. Augustine. I’m currently in St. Cloud with my wife’s family (and my XLR). Beautiful weather down here!

Jay

Hawk - I appreciate it open arms - looking forward to absorbing it all.

BTW, I see you’re out of St. Augustine. I’m currently in St. Cloud with my wife’s family (and my XLR). Beautiful weather down here!

Jay

Cool. Just if it wasn’t for this dam beer virus would love to meet up with u. But you know how some people are. I have a local xlr couple that wants me to see their newly acquired v. They have a base that they have had for a couple years now since they asked me if I was thinking of selling mine. They saw me at a local cruise in and asked me if I wanted to sell. I said no because I was having to much fun with it. So a couple months later I they showed up with a early moldy base. This past year the guy got rid of his 68 or 69 fully custom camero and a older vette and a local car dealership had a xlr v he saw. He also has a Chevy ss that he took to get serviced at a Chevy dealer here on us1. ThAts where he found his base. He is a car guy and has had several cool rides through out the years. But with this virus going around everyone is pretty much staying put.
When are you heading back north I’m right off 95 in St. Augustine, Just south of jax. There are other xlr owners and we all met up at a xlr/allante event through the Florida chapter down in howey in the hills. The person that is in charge is Kathryn b.

She’s in Delray Beach area. So if you want to then think about joining the Florida Allante/xlr club too

612811524d25ac32b5cb100d10f0487e.jpg

933762ba2db78ba96cf190f30a6fe12b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome Aboard Jay! : )

Great cars and people here. Congratulations. Per others advise in their welcomes, a Battery Tender hooked up while sitting is 'essential' on these vehicles. The XLR has more parasitic battery drain sitting than any vehicle I have previously owned. And I have owned a lot. Without the tender, mine will be dead in 3-4 days if just left sitting.They do all kinds of weird things with low voltage. A good battery and keeping it charged on a Battery Tender is a must.

Be aware that the electronics (brain) for the retractable top is in the trunk in the left rear. It is under a trap door there. Make sure that the weep hole for draining any water is not plugged up and that your trunk seals are good to prevent any water from entering that cavity.

Again, Welcome!

and place an old towel on top of the door to the unit to catch that rain when you open the trunk. Otherwise it will run right down the corner of the trunk and into the module. It will usually dry but if you go to put the top down before it does it will fry the module. checking the towel from time to time will tell you if you are getting any leaks ,highly likely unless the GM repair has been done

Great cars and people here. Congratulations. Per others advise in their welcomes, a Battery Tender hooked up while sitting is 'essential' on these vehicles. The XLR has more parasitic battery drain sitting than any vehicle I have previously owned. And I have owned a lot. Without the tender, mine will be dead in 3-4 days if just left sitting.They do all kinds of weird things with low voltage. A good battery and keeping it charged on a Battery Tender is a must.

Be aware that the electronics (brain) for the retractable top is in the trunk in the left rear. It is under a trap door there. Make sure that the weep hole for draining any water is not plugged up and that your trunk seals are good to prevent any water from entering that cavity.

Again, Welcome!

CNC - thanks - happy to be on the ship! I'm actually running out today to grab a tender. I have one on my Harley, but will scoop another one up at a local store today.

I fear the brains for the roof were exposed to water and the thermistator went in it (as 05 grand daddy pointed out). Still doing a little more diagnostic work on her in that I'm going to pull the pump motor out and inspect her. Will keep everyone updated.

Thanks again for the warm welcome!

Jay

Last edited:
and place an old towel on top of the door to the unit to catch that rain when you open the trunk. Otherwise it will run right down the corner of the trunk and into the module. It will usually dry but if you go to put the top down before it does it will fry the module. checking the towel from time to time will tell you if you are getting any leaks ,highly likely unless the GM repair has been done

LTS - good idea re the towel. My plan is to (a) replace all of the back end seals and then (b) construct a semi-waterproof housing unit for the pump motor. Let's see how it goes....

Jay

Jay, You mention a loose battery cable. I have had the same problem for a few years. I have no idea what caused it and I am sure the cable should be replaced . However it has not caused any issues for me. If I was you I would replace the battery and when not using the car I would have it on a battery tender.
Good luck.
John F.

John, my friend, I ended up buying the battery shims (something like this Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance) and putting one onto my positive post. I then tightened it. It seemed to the trick as I'm getting like-new contact and my low voltage codes and CEL disappeared. I'm pleased!

FYI - had battery tested, it's shooting 100% with over 14 volts, which is operating well within the battery voltage paramaters, which I'm hearing/reading is between 11.5 and 15 (don't quote me).

I recommend the shims if you're having contact trouble.

Jay

Cool. Just if it wasn’t for this dam beer virus would love to meet up with u. But you know how some people are. I have a local xlr couple that wants me to see their newly acquired v. They have a base that they have had for a couple years now since they asked me if I was thinking of selling mine. They saw me at a local cruise in and asked me if I wanted to sell. I said no because I was having to much fun with it. So a couple months later I they showed up with a early moldy base. This past year the guy got rid of his 68 or 69 fully custom camero and a older vette and a local car dealership had a xlr v he saw. He also has a Chevy ss that he took to get serviced at a Chevy dealer here on us1. ThAts where he found his base. He is a car guy and has had several cool rides through out the years. But with this virus going around everyone is pretty much staying put.
When are you heading back north I’m right off 95 in St. Augustine, Just south of jax. There are other xlr owners and we all met up at a xlr/allante event through the Florida chapter down in howey in the hills. The person that is in charge is Kathryn b.

She’s in Delray Beach area. So if you want to then think about joining the Florida Allante/xlr club too

612811524d25ac32b5cb100d10f0487e.jpg

933762ba2db78ba96cf190f30a6fe12b.jpg

Hawk - right now, I'm open ended about when I'm heading back up north. As you said, this virus has paused the world; though, in FL, it's starting to open back up - I had a beer at a bar over the weekend!!!!!

I'd love to link up with you man; but understand with the virus. Hopefully, we get the clear-to-go sign soon and, when we do, let's grab lunch!

Not gonna lie, when you mentioned that late 60s camaro - I smiled. Another dream car of mine!

Again - thanks for the welcome!

Jay

So true. I’d love to meet up with a xlr buddy and swap your feelings about your xlr and mine. Send me a message here or a private message if you don’t feel like public postings

CNC - thanks - happy to be on the ship! I'm actually running out today to grab a tender. I have one on my Harley, but will scoop another one up at a local store today.

I fear the brains for the roof were exposed to water and the thermistator went in it (as 05 grand daddy pointed out). Still doing a little more diagnostic work on her in that I'm going to pull the pump motor out and inspect her. Will keep everyone updated.

Thanks again for the warm welcome!
Here’s the link to purchase on Amazon

Robot Check

Jay

a89e08a9329cb9c62ad4c60d18228890.jpg

Last edited:
LTS - good idea re the towel. My plan is to (a) replace all of the back end seals and then (b) construct a semi-waterproof housing unit for the pump motor. Let's see how it goes....

Jay

Make sure if u do construct a box. Make sure you have drilled a hole or some way just encase water or some kind of fluid leaks. So they have a way to exit Out the bottom

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back