Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

joaustin

My XLR/V(s)
2004 Xenon Blue
I am new to the forum, just recently purchased a 2004 XLR, Xenon Blue W/ Shale interior, My telescopic steering with tilt is not working. Does anyone have ideas?

Have you checked the fuses... I would start there. Your owner's manual should tell you which fuse to check...

Have you checked the fuses... I would start there. Your owner's manual should tell you which fuse to check...

I have not but by the way the fuses read in the owners manual the one for the steering also controls other things that work. But I will check it, Thanks, any idea where the tilt steering motor is located?

I have not but by the way the fuses read in the owners manual the one for the steering also controls other things that work. But I will check it, Thanks, any idea where the tilt steering motor is located?

Sorry, I don't. And my service manuals got burned in the fire at my shop on 2/28/2013, so I am unable to look that up. Maybe somebody else will chime in, or you could PM either Cadillac Tech or CCClark. One of them would surely know where it is located.

Welcome to the community!

A Tech 2 scan tool is used to quickly troubleshoot and isolate this problem. After connecting it and running diagnostics, the switch on the column is operated to ensure the switch signals are being received. If not; the switch is probably bad. If it works and the connectors/voltages are good to the telescoping actuator assembly (in the . . . column) then that gets replaced. There is more than one module/assembly that is involved in this troubleshooting tree. There's also a calibration procedure that utilizes the Tech 2 when components are replaced. Short of having a tech 2 and a set of shop manuals, (to safely disable the air bag in the steering column, and knowing which spring can fly out and blind you during disassembly) you might want to consider having an authorized dealer do the troubleshooting and repair. I don't know your skill level, so telling you how to take it apart could cause more harm than good.

Good luck,

CCC :wave:

Last edited:
Welcome to the community!

A Tech 2 scan tool is used to quickly troubleshoot and isolate this problem. After connecting it and running diagnostics, the switch on the column is operated to ensure the switch signals are being received. If not; the switch is probably bad. If it works and the connectors/voltages are good to the telescoping actuator assembly (in the . . . column) then that gets replaced. There is more than one module/assembly that is involved in this troubleshooting tree. There's also a calibration procedure that utilizes the Tech 2 when components are replaced. Short of having a tech 2 and a set of shop manuals, (to safely disable the air bag in the steering column, and knowing which spring can fly out and blind you during disassembly) you might want to consider having an authorized dealer do the troubleshooting and repair. I don't know your skill level, so telling you how to take it apart could cause more harm than good.

Good luck,

When I try the button you can hear a click coming from under the front seat no matter which direction you do the button, not sure if that means anything. Thanks

I am new to the forum, just recently purchased a 2004 XLR, Xenon Blue W/ Shale interior, My telescopic steering with tilt is not working. Does anyone have ideas?

Welcome to the forum! The Xenon blue is a cool colored! Sorry not any help for steering question but my best guess may be a wire problem and if not a fuse you may want to try finding a Cadillac Dealer and most here recommend trying to find one with a certified XLR technician!
Google Luck! Enjoy your awesome ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Welcome to the forum! The Xenon blue is a cool colored! Sorry not any help for steering question but my best guess may be a wire problem and if not a fuse you may want to try finding a Cadillac Dealer and most here recommend trying to find one with a certified XLR technician!
Google Luck! Enjoy your awesome ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Xenon Blue

Xenon blue is one of the coolest and rarest colors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WELCOME TO THE NET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just to spread a little XLR gospel to anyone wanting to understand how their telescoping steering columns operate, here's the lowdown. . .

The main components of the system are:

1) The tilt/telescoping drive motors.
2) The tilt/telescoping switch.
3) The tilt/telescoping motor positioning sensors (internal to the motors.)
4) Driver Position Module (DPM-gotta have at least one acronym in there somewhere!) It's located under the driver's seat.

Every system in the XLR has a brain lurking somewhere; in this case, it's the DPM. The memory position settings for the steering column (accessed at the front of the driver seat) are stored in the DPM, and read by the motor position sensors (an output to the DPM.) The up/down/in/out switch commands are read by the DPM. The DPM communicates on the low-speed Class 2 buss through the DDS (Driver Door Switch Module.) When a switch position command is read by the DPM, it supplies voltage to the proper motor to initiate the command.

While the steering column isn't terribly difficult to work on, there are a number of safety considerations to be taken into account. The air bag is one. Because the steering column is designed to collapse during impact, all of the fasteners have to be torqued properly. In addition, removing the steering wheel requires a special tool. If the DPM or tilt/telescoping actuators are replaced, a Tech 2 is required to calibrate the system.

This should provide you with a little insight as to why a Tech 2 is required to determine which module, switch, or wiring harness is affected. It also gives you a decent starting point for XLR-related cocktail party conversations.

CC :wave:

Welcome to the forum. Sorry no insight on your problem but when it comes to the electronic systems in these cars I tend to agree that you should see a Tech 2 expert with the diagnostic tools.

As for Xenon blue: I tend to agree that it is one of the most stunning colours (as of course I think my colour is one of the other stunners) If I ever run across a pristine Xenon V (last year is 07 I believe without checking) I sure would have a problem passing it up even though I am beyond happy with my XLR.......big problem would be I would not be willing to sell my current one. ;)

Just to spread a little XLR gospel to anyone wanting to understand how their telescoping steering columns operate, here's the lowdown. . .

The main components of the system are:

1) The tilt/telescoping drive motors.
2) The tilt/telescoping switch.
3) The tilt/telescoping motor positioning sensors (internal to the motors.)
4) Driver Position Module (DPM-gotta have at least one acronym in there somewhere!) It's located under the driver's seat.

Every system in the XLR has a brain lurking somewhere; in this case, it's the DPM. The memory position settings for the steering column (accessed at the front of the driver seat) are stored in the DPM, and read by the motor position sensors (an output to the DPM.) The up/down/in/out switch commands are read by the DPM. The DPM communicates on the low-speed Class 2 buss through the DDS (Driver Door Switch Module.) When a switch position command is read by the DPM, it supplies voltage to the proper motor to initiate the command.

While the steering column isn't terribly difficult to work on, there are a number of safety considerations to be taken into account. The air bag is one. Because the steering column is designed to collapse during impact, all of the fasteners have to be torqued properly. In addition, removing the steering wheel requires a special tool. If the DPM or tilt/telescoping actuators are replaced, a Tech 2 is required to calibrate the system.

This should provide you with a little insight as to why a Tech 2 is required to determine which module, switch, or wiring harness is affected. It also gives you a decent starting point for XLR-related cocktail party conversations.

CC :wave:

Thank you for the info, it will help a lot.:)

Welcome to the forum. Sorry no insight on your problem but when it comes to the electronic systems in these cars I tend to agree that you should see a Tech 2 expert with the diagnostic tools.

As for Xenon blue: I tend to agree that it is one of the most stunning colours (as of course I think my colour is one of the other stunners) If I ever run across a pristine Xenon V (last year is 07 I believe without checking) I sure would have a problem passing it up even though I am beyond happy with my XLR.......big problem would be I would not be willing to sell my current one. ;)

Thank you, sounds like I will have to invest in a Tech 2, it's a cool ride.:wave:

Welcome to XLR Net

My belated welcome aboard greeting. This is the best group and forum for these beautiful cars on the internet. Good people all who love their cars.;)

As I have been working on mine on and off now most of what has 'passed for summer' (cold and rain, rain, and more rain) here, it is now ready to drive to Montana for The Rocket Run club event sponsored by Rob in Billings (Thanks Rob!).

As far as the steering wheel telescoping operation not working I would also recommend an OBD II or III code scanner. As per another post there is always the concern these days about the possibility of accidental air bag deployment and resultant injury. The code scanner will "put you in the ball park" as what areas to look at for testing/isolation to pinpoint the problem.

Tip: For "ignition on but engine not running" have your fob in close proximity and hold the ignition switch rocker 'Down ACC Position' from 5 to 6 seconds continuously. Then you will be able to plug the scanner into the diagnostic port with "engine off, ignition on" to read any codes.

Welcome to the site.

An OBD II/III scan tool can be useful for engine codes, but won't communicate with the dual LAN, bi-directional XLR bus, which is why a Tech 2 with the latest firmware is recommended in conjunction with the GM Service manuals.

It may not have been meant to read as such, but to clarify, as far as connecting any electronic device under power, I would not recommend it. Damage to the scan device and vehicle may occur. With the vehicle shut down, connect a scanner, then activate the ACC power.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back