Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

New tires

monepit

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 black raven
I just got new tires on the new monepit. What a differance. The car rides better and has 0 road noise. I went with a BF Goodrich KDWS. I've put these tires on the last 3 cars I've had and have been thrilled with them on every one. Get this, Tire rack had these on sale for $380 delivered and I paid $80 to have them installed. $460 for a great set of tires on an XLR blew me away. We will be leaving for Tampe for 10 days on tuesday so I will see how it does on the road. I think it will be great because it was great on the trip home from chicago. It was a quite ride with the old tires but you could feel every bump in the road. The reason I didn't go with the run flats is because I found out you can't patch them if you get a nail in them. and you can only go 50 miles on them and nobody stocks them. I figure if I have a flat I can have it flat beded 50 miles for $100 and they might have a tire,:wave: and the run flats were about $600 more. I hope I dont eat my words but I thought it was worth the gamble. Dave

I just got new tires on the new monepit. What a differance. The car rides better and has 0 road noise. I went with a BF Goodrich KDWS. I've put these tires on the last 3 cars I've had and have been thrilled with them on every one. Get this, Tire rack had these on sale for $380 delivered and I paid $80 to have them installed. $460 for a great set of tires on an XLR blew me away. We will be leaving for Tampe for 10 days on tuesday so I will see how it does on the road. I think it will be great because it was great on the trip home from chicago. It was a quite ride with the old tires but you could feel every bump in the road. The reason I didn't go with the run flats is because I found out you can't patch them if you get a nail in them. and you can only go 50 miles on them and nobody stocks them. I figure if I have a flat I can have it flat beded 50 miles for $100 and they might have a tire,:wave: and the run flats were about $600 more. I hope I dont eat my words but I thought it was worth the gamble. Dave

EMT can be repaired just like any other tire,as long as the sidewall is not damaged. The factory installed Michelin EMT on the XLR can go 100 miles @ 55 mph with no air pressure.

Thats funny. When I ordered the tires the tire shop told me that they couldn't be fixed even if it was in the tread. He aosl told me that you can only go 50 miles and then you would have rim damage. I probably would have gone with the run flat's if I knew that. Just show's you can't always believe what you are told. I guess I should have done more research. By the way I owe you a thank you. The moron's left the doors open for 4 hours and ran the battery down and when I left the windows woudn't reset up to the top. I remembered a post about resetting the auto up and got it working right away. Thanks

Document ID: 1739179
#05-03-10-019: Information on Run Flat, Zero Pressure or Extended Mobility Tires (EMT) and Unique Servicing Techniques - (Dec 6, 2005)

999999995.gif
Subject:Information on Run Flat, Zero Pressure or Extended Mobility Tires (EMT) and Unique Servicing Techniques

Models:2004-2006 Cadillac CTS-V
2005-2006 Cadillac XLR
2006 Cadillac XLR-V, STS-V
1994-2006 Chevrolet Corvette

This bulletin is being revised to add vehicles, model years, tire manufacturers, and additional information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 33-35-02A.
Tire Manufacturers

GM currently uses tires from three manufacturers that can continue to be driven on while completely deflated. Each brand has their own slogan for this capability.

• Goodyear -- Extended Mobility Tire (EMT)
• Michelin -- Run Flat
• Pirelli -- Zero Pressure (ZP)​

Characteristics and Added Capability

The tires above can be operated at up to 89 km/h (55 mph) for 160 km (100 mi) with zero air pressure. All vehicles originally installed with this style of tire are factory-equipped with a tire pressure monitoring system (TPM). Each wheel position has a sensor which transmits inflation pressures to a receiver that displays actual pressures to the driver. This system immediately alerts the driver of a loss of air pressure in any tire, as it is possible to drive with zero air pressure and not notice any difference in vehicle handling.
Mounting and Dismounting

Due to the unique reinforced sidewall construction of this type of tire some special servicing techniques are required. This mainly pertains to mounting and dismounting the tire from the wheel.
Caution: Inflation pressure exceeding 276 kPa (40 psi) may be required to seat the beads during mounting. To prevent serious injury, only specially trained tire technicians should mount or dismount these tires. A tire inflation safety cage and clip-on air hose must be used. A rim clamp/European style tire changer is also recommended to mount or dismount run-flat type tires.
If a "run-flat" style tire must be dismounted for non-tire related reasons such as a wheel, valve, or sensor replacement, it is recommended that the job be sublet to an authorized tire service facility if your dealership DOES NOT have qualified personnel and the necessary equipment described above.
Extreme care must be taken that the tire pressure warning sensor and O-ring inside the tire are not damaged. Some tire changing equipment companies such as Coats* and Hunter* have put together a procedure booklet for these tires.
Caution: Even when using a safety cage to seat the tire bead, do not exceed 552 kPa (80 psi). If the bead does not seat by 552 kPa (80 psi), you should deflate the tire and change the position of the tire in relation to the wheel. Use of tire lubricant is also advisable.
*We believe these sources and their equipment to be reliable. There may be additional manufacturers of such equipment. General Motors does not endorse, indicate any preference for, or assume any responsibility for the products or equipment from these firms, or for any such items which may be available from other sources.
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.​

999999994.gif
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION​

© 2008 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

I had a nail in one of mine and the tire shop fixed it just fine. Although the first shop I went to wasn't able to do so; apparently, the tire shop has to have a tire machine capable of mounting and dismounting run flats.
my .02 worth...

While at RIII I had a RF flat which was taken care of (believe it or not) very professionally by the Walmart auto guys. It only cost $16.00 to remove the tire and insert a plug. The tire is still fine. Also, when was the last time you saw anyone use a torque wrench to install the lugs?! I found out they get 100lb. of torque--think I knew that???

By the way a few years ago I had the same thing done to my Vette at a Good Year shop and they charged me $40.00--go figure!

Floyd (BB)

While at RIII I had a RF flat which was taken care of (believe it or not) very professionally by the Walmart auto guys. It only cost $16.00 to remove the tire and insert a plug. The tire is still fine. Also, when was the last time you saw anyone use a torque wrench to install the lugs?! I found out they get 100lb. of torque--think I knew that???

By the way a few years ago I had the same thing done to my Vette at a Good Year shop and they charged me $40.00--go figure!

Floyd (BB)

Most tire shops anymore have impact extensions that are designed to torque to a specific range. The extensions are purchased as a kit with several extensions rated at different torques.
BTW... my tire repair cost me $12.00.

The issue is dismounting. The tire does not easily go over the rim inside lip which is what holds the side wall in place when you run flat. I believe mounting is a standard procedure, although, the installer must make 100% sure that the tire is right against the rim edge and not just against the inside lip.

My 2 cts..

I had a nail in one of mine and the tire shop fixed it just fine. Although the first shop I went to wasn't able to do so; apparently, the tire shop has to have a tire machine capable of mounting and dismounting run flats.
my .02 worth...

The issue is dismounting. The tire does not easily go over the rim inside lip which is what holds the side wall in place when you run flat. I believe mounting is a standard procedure, although, the installer must make 100% sure that the tire is right against the rim edge and not just against the inside lip.

My 2 cts..

All I know is they used a special tire mount/dismount machine for the run-flats...

new tires at 16,000 miles?

Had my '05 in for service at 16,500 miles. Service tech mentioned i would be needing new tires soon.
I'm skeptical. Tires are rotated every 5000 miles, never had a flat, and seem to have lots of tread.
What are you guys experiences with tire wear? And what would you advise if I do indeed replace them. Should I stick with run flats? Or Go for a regular tire at a considerable saving.
All advice will be welcome.

Ed

Had my '05 in for service at 16,500 miles. Service tech mentioned i would be needing new tires soon.
I'm skeptical. Tires are rotated every 5000 miles, never had a flat, and seem to have lots of tread.
What are you guys experiences with tire wear? And what would you advise if I do indeed replace them. Should I stick with run flats? Or Go for a regular tire at a considerable saving.
All advice will be welcome.

Ed

I replaced my tires last year and stayed with the Michlein Run Flats. I had 22,000 miles on the original tires. On another forum a lady went with the cheaper regular tires, in a very short time she had a blowout and it took her fender with it so her cheap tires wound up costing her more than the run flats would have. I like to stay with what Cadillac recomends. I priced tires with companies like Discount Tire and my Cadillac dealer met their price, installation and tax included.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom