Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

New Toy

rexster314

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Base Infrared
This came in the big brown truck yesterday. It was an open box sale on Autopia.org last week and I couldn't pass it up.
Cyclo polisher. Brand new. Gonna kill all the little swirls on the XLR and the Expedition. Not all at once, you understand. :lol:

Attachments

• 20160227_080608 (1).jpg
    20160227_080608 (1).jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 307
  • 20160227_080624 (1).jpg
    20160227_080624 (1).jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 292
  • 20160227_080640 (1).jpg
    20160227_080640 (1).jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 328
Dammnnn! That's a "BADA$$" polisher, rexster......
ras

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matter of fact, I just got through using it for swirl removal with Zaino swirl remover on the XLR. Made quick work of it and I've got the first coat of Z-2 curing as I type this. Cyclo worked perfectly, using orange pads with the Zaino stuff. I got through with the whole car in about an hour. It's getting overcast slightly so no pictures today, maybe tomorrow if it clears up/sun comes out

Sun popped out later, and I took some pics while I could. The car has a glow that it didn't have before swirl removal and then polished and sealed.
Cyclo polisher, Zaino Swirl Remover, Zaino Z-2 w/ZFX, Zaino CS topped with Zaino Z-8

Attachments

• 2016-02-28 14.43.33.jpg
    2016-02-28 14.43.33.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 337
  • 2016-02-28 14.43.23.jpg
    2016-02-28 14.43.23.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 312
  • 2016-02-28 14.43.08.jpg
    2016-02-28 14.43.08.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 323
  • 2016-02-28 14.41.jpg
    2016-02-28 14.41.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 316
  • 2016-02-28 14.42.jpg
    2016-02-28 14.42.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 310
What did you use for removing the polish/sealant? I've had issues with the sealant creating a white powder when polishing to remove swirls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What did you use for removing the polish/sealant? I've had issues with the sealant creating a white powder when polishing to remove swirls.

What are you using for swirl remover? Zaino? Zaino stuff doesn't leave any powdery residue. Especially the sealant(s)

We've had ZPC leave some white powder behind after using a buffer with it. Last time we used ZPC, used Menzerna 4500 after & then Griots Pre-Wax Cleanser to get everything ready for the Z-5. No powder left after all that! If you don't do all that, maybe try a wipe down with a microfiber towel followed by spraying with Z6 or detail spray & wiping down.

Haven't had any powder happening with other Zaino stuff, just smears sometimes.

I have always used Wolfgang products. Very happy with the results. Wolfgang uses a polymer sealant which bonds with your paint to form a very durable and long lasting paint protection as opposed to a wax, which only coats the paint/clear coat. I recently purchased their Über All-in-one cleaner-glazing-sealant. When I polished with their swirl remover, the swirl remover removed the Sealant and resulted in some powder. Not sure that is a bad thing, because it was telling me that the paint was sealed effectively. They sell a polish remover, just another step. The new system is an all in one system, so the polish remover is part of the system. I haven't used Zaino, but seems like most folks here use that system.

Wolfgang Uber Compound, car polish, polishing compound

Your finish is truly impressive. I might have to switch to Zaino! I have a lot of investment in Wolfgang, though.
Tim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I stopped using regular polish and wax about 2003 when I started using Klasse products. I used that stuff for a couple of years then found Zaino. The key to a good finish is proper paint preparation, no matter what you use. I prefer the polymer stuff because it outlasts wax at least 3 to 1 in my experience.

Sun popped out later, and I took some pics while I could. The car has a glow that it didn't have before swirl removal and then polished and sealed.
Cyclo polisher, Zaino Swirl Remover, Zaino Z-2 w/ZFX, Zaino CS topped with Zaino Z-8

Your car looks absolutely amazing and that is just from the pictures you posted. I'm sure it looks even better in person. I have been using Zaino for years, but just apply it by hand. I notice that the finish has a lot of swirls. Afraid to put a rotary polisher on it, but you may have changed my mind.

Your car looks absolutely amazing and that is just from the pictures you posted. I'm sure it looks even better in person. I have been using Zaino for years, but just apply it by hand. I notice that the finish has a lot of swirls. Afraid to put a rotary polisher on it, but you may have changed my mind.

Thanks for the kind words. The Cyclo polisher is NOT a rotary like you're thinking of. The pads are counter-rotating, kinda like Mr Miyagi's "wax on/wipe off". If you're not sure of using a rotary my advice is don't! The Porter-Cable 7424 is a dual action polisher that will not burn paint or make it worse than it might be. I like my Cyclo because there's no major vibrations coming out because of the dual pads actions. The Cyclo and the Zaino Z-PC swirl remover stuff were made for each other IMHO.
I was up in your neck of the woods last Thursday coming home from Shreveport picking up tires at TireRack.com's warehouse. Came all the way down 59 once back in Texas

Last edited:
I have the porter cable D/A and have done the zaino complete paint treatment this winter. Wow what a difference highly recommend zaino products. From the smell you get when you open the bottle to the deep wet show car finish. Big two thumbs up!
For the polisher I recommend getting various size pads. For smaller tight areas 3" works good and a 5" for the larger panels. Theyve come along way from my detail/portering days with a high speed buffer and a wool pad. Paints are thinner these days would be scared to cross that threshold:( I do use on minor scratches and follow up with the D/A. I laugh when you see a dark colored car that's been molested by someone that doesn't know how to buff. Figure eights and lines burnt in every panel. :dunno:Got to love it:(

I've used the same Porter Cable D/A since 2002. Lost count of the number of pads I've been through. After every use my arms would tingle from the vibration. Yes, I've got the proper counter weights attached. Believe me, the Cyclo puts the PC to shame in both lack of vibration and ease of use. The two small 4" pads make it so much easier to get in the small spaces of your car.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom