Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

New XLR owner with key fob issues

Brialdo

My XLR/V(s)
2006 XLR Base
I bought a 2006 XLR that only came with one fob and zero mechanical keys. I was able to get a mechanic key from the dealership. I bought a new key fob online and I have tried to do the programming steps outlined in the owners manual. I can get the car into programming mode, but when iI put it in the programming socket it is not being recognized. I have tried replacing the battery in the fobwith a brand new one. I got the same result. Any suggestions as to why the fob isn’t being recognized?

Additionally, checked all of the fuse in the cabin and under the hood, replacing two, one for the cigarette lighter and one for the dash lights. I had hoped that is exercise would have resolved my programming issue, but alas it didn’t.

I work for a Chevrolet and Cadillac dealer and just spoke to our service manager about your issue. You have to bring your XLR with the new FOB to a Cadillac dealer to be programmed. The XLR fobs are the same as the Corvette Fobs which have to be brought to the dealer to be properly programmed with the fob is new. Hope this helps.

Being frugal-minded, I was afraid that was going to be the answer ($150 for that task locally). If that is the case, why are there instructions to do this process in the owner's manual? I did have an open slot for programming, as it said "ready to program fob #4".

Thanks for the response, Rob!

I just went thru this too. Bought a XLR V, came with one fob (marked fob 1 on the back), got another online (marked fob 2 on the back). When I programmed the second fob I was able to program it, but the car thought it was fob 3. So apparently, even though the fob 2 did not come with the car, it was still programmed into the car. Dealer said they needed to delete both fobs and reprogram both. Something the owner could not do. This dealer (DE) charged $69.99 for that service. Shop around if you can.

TomP, you were able to program it as #3, though? I guess I should be concerned that the fob doesn't even register as being placed in the socket. There are 4 sets of instructions on various ways to program a fob, found here:new 2004 owner with a key fob issue | Cadillac XLR Forums (xlr-net.com).
I fear trying them, worried that I would end up with a tow bill on top of a reprogramming fee.

So, I tried one more time and when it would NOT* recognize the fob, I tried working one. The DIC said "Recognized Fob", so the socket works. I went up to my local Autozone to test it (having tried 3 new batteries in it, besides the one that came with it) and their fob tester said it worked. I asked if they sell fobs, which they did. He said the fob I was sent was for an 04-05. Now to see about getting it replaced.
*Edited for accuracy

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob
I followed the instructions in the owner manual for programming a new fob when mine ended up as FOB 3. Inserting that text here (from page 2-6 of the '06 manual):
Matching Transmitter(s) to Your Vehicle
Each keyless access transmitter is coded to prevent another transmitter from working with your vehicle. If a transmitter is lost or stolen, a replacement can be purchased through your dealer. Remember to bring anyremaining transmitters with you when you go to your dealer. Once your dealer has coded the new transmitter,the lost transmitter will not work with your vehicle. Each vehicle can have a maximum of four transmittersmatched to it.To match a new transmitter to your vehicle when you have a recognized transmitter, do the following:
1. The vehicle must be off.
2. Have the recognized and new, unrecognized transmitters on your person.
3. Go to the rear of the vehicle and insert the vehicle key into the key cylinder located on the lower rear fascia on the driver’s side of the vehicle. SeeTrunkon page 2-12for more information on the keycylinder.
4. Open the trunk.
5. Turn the key five times within five seconds.
6. The Driver Information Center (DIC) will display READY FOR FOB #X. X can be 2, 3 or 4.
7. Place the new, unrecognized transmitter in the glove box transmitter pocket with the buttons facing to the right.
8. Once the transmitter is programmed, a beep will sound. The DIC will display READY FOR #X,where X can be 3 or 4, or MAX # FOBS LEARNED.
9. Press the ACC button

Just to give an update...using the right fob makes a HUGE difference. The hardest part was bending over to stick the key in the trunk lock. Thanks for the help!!!

I bought a 2006 XLR that only came with one fob and zero mechanical keys. I was able to get a mechanic key from the dealership. I bought a new key fob online and I have tried to do the programming steps outlined in the owners manual. I can get the car into programming mode, but when iI put it in the programming socket it is not being recognized. I have tried replacing the battery in the fobwith a brand new one. I got the same result. Any suggestions as to why the fob isn’t being recognized?
Had the same issue with my 06. Swapped the internal parts, or maybe just the back panel. All good now.

Additionally, checked all of the fuse in the cabin and under the hood, replacing two, one for the cigarette lighter and one for the dash lights. I had hoped that is exercise would have resolved my programming issue, but alas it didn’t.
I tried myself but couldn't get it to work. I needed the key anyway so took mine to reputable key place. Finally had to go to gm dealership where they can supply key codes at no charge. Returned to key making service and they made new key,s and program fob in timely fashion . About 65.00 dollars

I tried to program a key, it was recognized, but I was unable to program it. Heard that if I tried 3 times, the fob would be rendered useless (Dealer told me that). Spent the $175 to have it programmed. My second original key went through the wash and now the battery goes dead within a day or two.

Welcome to the XLR Site Brialdo! Gee, after reading all of this about the FOB issues, should I have this problem in the future, I think Ill just take it to Red Noland Cadillac in Colorado Springs.

Welcome to the XLR Site Brialdo! Gee, after reading all of this about the FOB issues, should I have this problem in the future, I think Ill just take it to Red Noland Cadillac in Colorado Springs.
It really wasn't hard, if you have open slots (you only get 4). My first key fob purchase was the wrong part number.

So, Briado, if you were like me (needing a backup FOB and you had to do it all over again, would you just order through a Cadillac dealer or purchase from AutoZone and do what you did? How much money would I save doing the latter?

It would really depend on your confidence and your frugality. While it was frustrating, it wasn't hard. Had I thought to look for a part number on the back of my existing fob, I would have saved myself a whole lot of headache and heartache. To answer your question, yes I would do it myself again. The dealership will come into play, if your 4 slots are already taken.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom