Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! no power steering, service stabilitrak

jimkroeker

My XLR/V(s)
2007 base light platinum/cashmere
Well, it looks like l put my foot in it again.
l had a crack in my radiator so after two weeks of rounding up the right parts l replaced my radiator. While l had the radiator out l changed out the coolant pump, thermostat, upper and lower coolant hoses, and serpentine belts. Flushed the old coolant out of the block and heater core. After getting everything back together l was purging the air out of the cooling system and noticed come carbon buildup in the throttle body. So the engine was running and l gave it a squirt of carb cleaner and the engine shut down immediately. Immediate response---Oh crap!!What did l break now? When l went to restart, the engine turned over for a long time then finally caught. lt coughed once and then ran fine. Now l have service stabilitrak on DIC. l figured that would correct itself with a test drive so l backed out and turned the car to leave…..no power steering. What did l do? ls power steering controlled by stabilitrak? Did l manage to get the serpentine belt routed so my p/s pump is turning backward? Wouldn't think so. Will disconnecting the battery reset everything? Did carb cleaner damage the sensor in the throttle body? lf anyone out there has any experience with this type of thing l would appreciate any input or suggestions.
l like working on cars, but l wanted a hobby, not a career.

CAREER

AS LONG AS YOU OWN A CADDY YOU WILL HAVE A CAREER. EITHER TAKING TO SHOP OR WORKING ON THEM YOUR SELF. I HAVE OWNED 12 IN MY 75 YEARS. DON'T ASK ME WHY I KEEP BUYING.

no power sterring

I believe there is a power steering fluid cooler located in the radiator. Does the steering pump make noise.... air in the system? Had my radiator replaced because ,you are supposed to remove A/C condenser along with the radiator and I had no way to deal with the r-134 (or whatever they use) They got air in he system when they disconnected the cooler lines from the power steering system. Hope it might help.

Well, it looks like l put my foot in it again.
l had a crack in my radiator so after two weeks of rounding up the right parts l replaced my radiator. While l had the radiator out l changed out the coolant pump, thermostat, upper and lower coolant hoses, and serpentine belts. Flushed the old coolant out of the block and heater core. After getting everything back together l was purging the air out of the cooling system and noticed come carbon buildup in the throttle body. So the engine was running and l gave it a squirt of carb cleaner and the engine shut down immediately. Immediate response---Oh crap!!What did l break now? When l went to restart, the engine turned over for a long time then finally caught. lt coughed once and then ran fine. Now l have service stabilitrak on DIC. l figured that would correct itself with a test drive so l backed out and turned the car to leave…..no power steering. What did l do? ls power steering controlled by stabilitrak? Did l manage to get the serpentine belt routed so my p/s pump is turning backward? Wouldn't think so. Will disconnecting the battery reset everything? Did carb cleaner damage the sensor in the throttle body? lf anyone out there has any experience with this type of thing l would appreciate any input or suggestions.
l like working on cars, but l wanted a hobby, not a career.

Never actually tried it but it shouldn't hurt anything. I've shot carb cleaner in carbureted engines while running and used as a starting fluid worked both ways. Sensors are temperamental though. Still it wouldn't have anything to do with no power steering:dunno:

AS LONG AS YOU OWN A CADDY YOU WILL HAVE A CAREER. EITHER TAKING TO SHOP OR WORKING ON THEM YOUR SELF. I HAVE OWNED 12 IN MY 75 YEARS. DON'T ASK ME WHY I KEEP BUYING.
Thanks Davy Jones. Guess l'm sunk. So far this car's like being married. Lots of fun for a little bit then spend the rest of the day trying to figure out what ****ed her off.

I believe there is a power steering fluid cooler located in the radiator. Does the steering pump make noise.... air in the system? Had my radiator replaced because ,you are supposed to remove A/C condenser along with the radiator and I had no way to deal with the r-134 (or whatever they use) They got air in he system when they disconnected the cooler lines from the power steering system. Hope it might help.
Tyrone:
Thanks for the heads up. l was under the impression those were engine oil cooler hoses. l never checked the power steering tank to see if it was low. My power steering pump isn't making any strange noises, but that will be the first thing l check tomorrow. l know l lost some tranny fluid, but l haven't checked that yet. l'm not driving it until l get it back right. The radiator description has W/EOC, W/TOC.
With engine oil cooler, with transmission oil cooler. Power steering fluid cooler didn't occur to me. Sure hope that's it.

Never actually tried it but it shouldn't hurt anything. I've shot carb cleaner in carbureted engines while running and used as a starting fluid worked both ways. Sensors are temperamental though. Still it wouldn't have anything to do with no power steering:dunno:
Hi, Stella:
lt sure didn't occur to me that carb cleaner would shut an engine down like that. Now that l have experience my advice is don't try to clean carbon out of the throttle body while the engine is running. I've cleaned lots of throttle bodies and carbs with that stuff and never a problem,,,,til now. l don't think there is any link to the power steering there. Having the serpentine belt routed wrong and still having the tensioner fit exactly right doesn't seem too likely either though. I was reading somewhere that the stabilitrak can be affected by the throttle body sensor and that stabilitrak can affect how the car steers. Seems like a stretch to me, but seems like with this car you can hit a bump with the front tire and then the trunk won't open. IDK So for now…thar she sits.

Jim

Jimkroeker: love your last statement. So far this car's like being married. Lots of fun for a little bit then spend the rest of the day trying to figure out what ****ed her off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Tyrone

Tyrone:
Thanks for the heads up. l was under the impression those were engine oil cooler hoses. l never checked the power steering tank to see if it was low. My power steering pump isn't making any strange noises, but that will be the first thing l check tomorrow. l know l lost some tranny fluid, but l haven't checked that yet. l'm not driving it until l get it back right. The radiator description has W/EOC, W/TOC.
With engine oil cooler, with transmission oil cooler. Power steering fluid cooler didn't occur to me. Sure hope that's it.
Tyrone:
Well, sir, you fixed it. Power steering fluid was low. Sometimes l have an IQ about 5 points higher than a carrot. lf the power steering doesn't work, check the power steering fluid….Duh. Power steering pump never made any strange noises. lt made some while l was filling it, but before that, nothing to draw attention to it. l wonder why DIC said service stabilitrak instead of check power steering fluid.
ln any event it's fixed and l really appreciate your help.

Jim

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back