Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

No shifter action

rexster314

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Base Infrared
I pulled into driveway tonight after a 45 mile trip. Got out, decided to make sure car was all the way in the carport since we might get some hail tomorrow. Car started up, and shift lever seemed like it wasn't connected, no matter where I put it it stayed in reverse. Put it back into park, tried to start and all the lights on dash lit up, no start, shifter is loose, no detents. After research seems like the shift cable has popped or the plastic bushing on either end of the shift cable has disintegrated. Is it possible to access the shifter linkage by pulling up the interior console to get at the linkage. Want to see (hoping) if the plastic bushing is disintegrated or if cable is broken. Don't have access to lift or jack and since car won't start, can't drive it to local shop. Corvettes (C5) have same problem it seems. And can be accessed through the floor console.

Hoping ccclarke can give some insight.

Rexter314
This was on the forum a few weeks ago. It usually disconnects under the car you can buy a grommet kit at AZ or local parts store. I think they are made by Gorman. One of the guys in Virginia was going to try and see if the kit worked on the X. I'm relatively sure you will need to get under the car even to tow it. (Neutral ) Many pictures and diagrams on this forum.
V Happy

Yeah, the dealer fix isn't cheap, it's alot of little screws and things in the way. I think all in my repair was north of 500 bucks

Shift cable came in this morning, called AAA to haul (not tow) the XLR to my local shop. Although I bought the Dorman bushings, I decided to replace the cable and be done with it. It was only 57$.

This afternoon my mechanic called me said "got good news and bad news". Good news is cable is in and working, bad news is the wrecker driver accidentally clipped the abs speed sensor on the rear axle. Mechanic thinks he can splice it back to get me going, wrecker co. already assumed responsibility, got to get the replacement part. Just another day in my world.

11-25-15
Wrecker company made good paying for the repair. Original repair was 55$ for the shift cable, and shop labor was $97.50, not even worth turning it into the ESP company. Got the car back this afternoon and all is wonderful in my world now.

Last edited:
wow, tyou got the cable installed for $100 ?
thats like 1 hour of shop labor !!
can you find out if they did the whole job from underneath? if they removed tunnel plate or exhaust to thread the cable thru,
or they were just able to work around everything and snap it in super easy.
dealer is nowhere near that price...
too bad about the sensor, but hey at least they stepped up.

wow, tyou got the cable installed for $100 ?
thats like 1 hour of shop labor !!
can you find out if they did the whole job from underneath? if they removed tunnel plate or exhaust to thread the cable thru,
or they were just able to work around everything and snap it in super easy.
dealer is nowhere near that price...
too bad about the sensor, but hey at least they stepped up.

The shop's labor is $65/hour. I paid for 1.5 hours, and yes, it went up on a lift, took the H pipe off and the closeout panel just as described in most repair manuals. The cable was adjusted and there is NO slack or play in the shifter. Turned out I misunderstood, it was the left front sensor cable that was clipped in half. Apparently there is a cable that plugs into the axle hub that contains the sensor. Didn't have to replace the hub, just the cable itself, but it was about a 100$ itself. Anyways, the shop is billing the wrecker company so I didn't have to tie up my money getting a refund from them

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom