Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Not Able to Shift out of Park

ChicagoDave

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2007 Black XLR V, 2005 Black XLR, 2018 XT5 AWD, 2010 Black CTX Wagon AWD
Recently I have been having trouble getting my '05 XLR to shift out of park. I know there is a switch that releases the gear shift, once the brake pedal is applied. It feels like that switch is not releasing. After a couple of minutes of multiple brake pedal pumps and jiggling of the gear shift, it releases. Not sure if the cold weather is effecting it (but it hasn't been THAT cold yet). Has anyone ever had that issue? Any suggestions? I'd like to avoid going to the dealer if at all possible.

Thanks.

I had the same problem with trixie. If you pop the console cover off there is a solinoid next to the shifter you can watch work. Mine had a wire that fell down on top of it and sometime's restricted it. I just moved and secured the wire and havn't had a problem since.

I had the same problem with trixie. If you pop the console cover off there is a solinoid next to the shifter you can watch work. Mine had a wire that fell down on top of it and sometime's restricted it. I just moved and secured the wire and havn't had a problem since.

Great, thanks Dave. I'll give that a look.

I cannot seem to find the "clips" that hold the console cover on. Are they on the side of console (metal part), or is it the shift cover (wood part)? Seems to be getting worse now; took almost 4 minutes to FINALLY get the catch to release the shifter out of PARK.

I cannot seem to find the "clips" that hold the console cover on. Are they on the side of console (metal part), or is it the shift cover (wood part)? Seems to be getting worse now; took almost 4 minutes to FINALLY get the catch to release the shifter out of PARK.

There are 4 metal clips (2 per side) that hold the shifter plate down. They are located @ the outer edge of the shifter plate, front & rear. You will need to remove the shifter knob first. Pull down on the chrome trim ring and loosen 15 torx, pull up. Grab the rear outer edge of the shifter plate & pull up. I like to put a dab of lube on the clips before putting the shifter plate back on.

Document ID: 1331150
<FORM onsubmit="JavaScript: return true;" method=post name=CellHandlerForm action=/si/cellHandler.do><HR>
Console Trim Plate Replacement
<A href="#ss1-1331150">Removal Procedure

1. Remove the shifter knob.
  2. Open the ashtray door.
    1224727.gif

3. Pry the rear of the shifter trim plate up with a blunt tool to release the trim from the console.
  4. Pull upward on the trim plate.
  5. Disconnect the electrical connector to the trim plate.
  6. Remove the trim plate.
<A href="#ss2-1331150">Installation Procedure

1. 1224727.gif

2. Connect the electrical connector to the trim plate.
  3. Install the trim plate to the console.
  4. Push down on the rear of the trim plate to lock it onto the console.
  5. Close the ashtray door.
  6. Install the shifter knob.
© 2009 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.
</FORM>

Document ID: 1331150
<form onsubmit="JavaScript: return true;" method="post" name="CellHandlerForm" action="/si/cellHandler.do"><hr>
Console Trim Plate Replacement
Removal Procedure

1. Remove the shifter knob.
  2. Open the ashtray door.

3. Pry the rear of the shifter trim plate up with a blunt tool to release the trim from the console.
  4. Pull upward on the trim plate.
  5. Disconnect the electrical connector to the trim plate.
  6. Remove the trim plate.
Installation Procedure

1. Connect the electrical connector to the trim plate.
  2. Install the trim plate to the console.
  3. Push down on the rear of the trim plate to lock it onto the console.
  4. Close the ashtray door.
  5. Install the shifter knob.
© 2009 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.
</form>

Thanks for the info, Bruce. I'll give that a shot when I get home from California Friday.

Really wishing I had my XLR out here in LA this week (sunny and 80's so far this week). Not the same in my HYBRID Camery rental car. :lol:

There are 4 metal clips (2 per side) that hold the shifter plate down. They are located @ the outer edge of the shifter plate, front & rear. You will need to remove the shifter knob first. Pull down on the chrome trim ring and loosen 15 torx, pull up. Grab the rear outer edge of the shifter plate & pull up. I like to put a dab of lube on the clips before putting the shifter plate back on.

Looks like I might have found the problem. Took off the trim plate and it appears there were some loose wires going to the solenoid switch. Seems to be OK now.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Document ID: 1777175 <HR>
#PIC3965: Unable to Move Gear Shift Lever Out of Park at Times - keywords 5L50E BCM empty fuel gauge gauge gear indicator IPC no transmission - (Mar 7, 2006)

999999995.gif
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100>Subject:</TD><TD vAlign=top>Unable To Move Gear Shift Lever Out of Park at Times </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100>Models:</TD><TD vAlign=top>2004-2005 Cadillac XLR </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​

<HR>The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=1777175&from=sm#ss1-1777175">Condition/Concern:

A customer may state that when they started their vehicle, they could not shift out of park. They may also notice that many IP warning lamps are illuminated and the fuel gauge reads empty. They would also find that if the car is shut off and restarted immediately the issue will still be present. They may also mention that if they shut the vehicle off and wait longer than 20 minutes the issue will likely be gone.
Recommendation/Instructions:http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=1777175&from=sm#ss2-1777175

A software anomaly exists in the BCM software that can cause this concern. To verify that the BCM is the cause of the issue, most or all of following DTCs should be set in history - U1000, U1017, U1024, U1064, U1096, U1128, U1255, and B1440. Also the engine will start and run if this issue is present, but you will not be able to shift out of park. The class 2 communications will remain locked up (when condition is present) until the BCM goes into hardware sleep, which takes 20 minutes. If the above conditions are verified, install a new BCM and perform the BCM set up procedure as outlined in SI.
DO NOT replace the BCM unless all the symptoms above are verified!
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.​

</FORM>

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back