Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

OEM Base steering wheel compatible with the "V"?

Rule62

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Sable Black XLR/V
I drove my friend's DTS today and remembered how much I enjoyed the real wood on the upper and lower sections of the steering wheel. Can anyone think of a reason why a Base 2004-07 OEM steering wheel wouldn't fit and function on mt '06 V? I know the wood won't match but that doesn't bother me. Has anyone tried this? :dunno:

Other than using a different airbag, reconfiguring the connector to incorporate the revised airbag, heating element in the steering wheel, infotainment and cruise controls, ensuring the mounting points are correct, this sounds easy. . .

Your taste is unique and I'd venture to guess you would be the only one to think of ever attempting to do this.

Dare greatly!

CC :wave:

Other than using a different airbag, reconfiguring the connector to incorporate the revised airbag, heating element in the steering wheel, infotainment and cruise controls, ensuring the mounting points are correct, this sounds easy. . .

Your taste is unique and I'd venture to guess you would be the only one to think of ever attempting to do this.

Dare greatly!

CC :wave:

I can't imagine why they would use two different airbags. Outside of the heat function I why would there be any difference whatsoever?

I've decided to take the last paragraph of your post as a compliment since I can't imagine you meant it any other way. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The V doesn't have adaptive cruise control, so the button for that (for setting the gap between you & the car in front of you) that is on the inner left side of the base steering wheel would either be useless or have to be repurposed.

Some folks with the wooden steering wheel have had problems with the wooden portion detaching from the rest of the wheel.

If it were me, it wouldn't be worth it to switch, especially because the wooden part doesn't do anything for me, but everyone is different.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom