Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Oil leak

Monepit1

My XLR/V(s)
I have a pretty bad oil leak coming from the passenger side rear of the oil pan. I took it to the shop and they replaced the oil pan gasket and the windage tray above it. $1970 later it still leaks just as bad from the same spot. They put die in the oil and I have looked for a couple hours. It’s not coming fron the crankshaft seal or the ream main seal. Only the oil pan. I haven’t paid them yet. Now they want to pull the engine and do a total reseal. $5800. I just don’t know I trust them since the last repair didn’t work. Any input on how to advance would be appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_9674.jpeg
    IMG_9674.jpeg
    943.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_9671.jpeg
    IMG_9671.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 78
Not really a solid reply but the previous owner of my XLR did have to change out the valve cover gaskets - the resulting leak(s) ran down the side of the engine quite badly and made quite a mess. Just time, heat and age I guess.

I can't tell much from the pictures, sorry, and that's the only 'history of oil leak' I know of.

Gord

p.s. Can't say I'd be willing to pay for not fixing something... if they quoted you that amount to fix it, consider to get them to honor their word or walk away and find someone else who's perhaps a bit more thorough. Just my 2 cents. ;)

I had the oil pan and cam shaft leaks repaired on both our XLR’s, Oil pan leak came back on one of them. My dealer took it back & fixed ONLY that, no charge. Cadillac Tech on here told us it is very, very hard to get that oil pan on right and not have it leak. I’d tell them to try that again and let them know you know it’s hard to get it on right. And not to mess with anything else!

Cadillac Tech on here told us it is very, very hard to get that oil pan on right and not have it leak.
I'm very interested in this comment. I'm new to the XLR community, having just bought my car a few weeks ago. I chose to have the local Cadillac dealer examine the car for me as a "baseline" for me. Car only has 20k miles. The dealer called and said all was great with the car except for an oil pan leak. Quoted $1,400 to fix it. I looked at the floor of my garage and do see some very small spots. I have an aftermarket warranty on the car so I have them talking about the repair. With that said, and based on the quoted comment above, I'm wondering if I'm better off living with the small leak versus perhaps ending up with a worse one? Something to consider. Thanks for the input. Hal

Better check that warranty. Many don't include oil leaks. It all depends on where its coming from. I he seen it fixed a few times and I he seen others pay and wind up worse. I would not rush into it. I personally am not bothered by a drop or two on my on car. If I had other issues being repaired I might consider it as an additional repair.

Better check that warranty. Many don't include oil leaks. It all depends on where its coming from. I he seen it fixed a few times and I he seen others pay and wind up worse. I would not rush into it. I personally am not bothered by a drop or two on my on car. If I had other issues being repaired I might consider it as an additional repair.

I agree with you completely. A minor leak of a 15 year old car would not normally concern me. It's a bit of a test of my warranty. If they say no, I'm likley to just leave it alone. If they agree to fix it, I'm fortunate to have a local dealer with experience with these XLRs.

I have a pretty bad oil leak coming from the passenger side rear of the oil pan. I took it to the shop and they replaced the oil pan gasket and the windage tray above it. $1970 later it still leaks just as bad from the same spot. They put die in the oil and I have looked for a couple hours. It’s not coming fron the crankshaft seal or the ream main seal. Only the oil pan. I haven’t paid them yet. Now they want to pull the engine and do a total reseal. $5800. I just don’t know I trust them since the last repair didn’t work. Any input on how to advance would be appreciated
Who is doing the work , a Cadillac dealer or local garage /

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back