Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Opinion: Can Cadillac Take on BMW with the ATS?

Rob

Seasoned Member
Staff member
Site Administrator
My XLR/V(s)
Not yet!
Interesting editorial:

The chase begins.

By Peter M. De Lorenzo
The AutoExtremist.com
(Posted 6/26, 12:00 p.m.)

Detroit. In the not too distant future, Cadillac is going to come out swinging with an ad campaign for the new ATS, the luxury brand’s point-blank answer to the vaunted BMW 3 Series. Cadillac and GM executives have been very blunt in their stated mission with the ATS, in that they’re not only going after the BMW’s image spear carrier, they expect that the ATS will meet or exceed the 3 Series in every measure.

A tall order indeed.

First of all, let’s review the target that Cadillac is going after with its ATS. The BMW 3 Series isn’t just BMW’s bread and butter - it’s the machine that has defined the sports sedan segment since 1975.

Everything BMW stands for is embodied in the spirit and the execution of the 3 Series: The disciplined adherence to the art and function of driving, the superb chassis dynamics, the faultless execution, these are all hallmarks of what made BMW great way back when and what still make it great – at least for the most part – today.

To take it further, the 3 Series has defined BMW as much as it has defined the segment. And the fact that BMW has managed to display a relentless level of focused consistency with the 3 Series over time has made the company the envy of product development people throughout the industry for years.

Full Story: THE AUTOEXTREMIST - Rants - Autoextremist.com ~ the bare-knuckled, unvarnished, high octane truth...

What do you think? Can Cadillac finally knock BMW off its pedestal?

Excellent article, Rob - thanks for sharing.

I've been waiting for the ATS to come out so I can take a serious look at it this fall. I'm looking for something that is more fuel efficient than my DTX and XLR - and I need something for the winter, when the XLR is put to slumber. I'm pretty excited about this car. Can Cadillac knock BMW off the pedestal? Time will tell - I just hope GM has the patience to let Cadillac continue to work at it. :drool:

Interesting editorial:

The chase begins.

By Peter M. De Lorenzo
The AutoExtremist.com
(Posted 6/26, 12:00 p.m.)

Detroit. In the not too distant future, Cadillac is going to come out swinging with an ad campaign for the new ATS, the luxury brand’s point-blank answer to the vaunted BMW 3 Series. Cadillac and GM executives have been very blunt in their stated mission with the ATS, in that they’re not only going after the BMW’s image spear carrier, they expect that the ATS will meet or exceed the 3 Series in every measure.

A tall order indeed.

First of all, let’s review the target that Cadillac is going after with its ATS. The BMW 3 Series isn’t just BMW’s bread and butter - it’s the machine that has defined the sports sedan segment since 1975.

Everything BMW stands for is embodied in the spirit and the execution of the 3 Series: The disciplined adherence to the art and function of driving, the superb chassis dynamics, the faultless execution, these are all hallmarks of what made BMW great way back when and what still make it great – at least for the most part – today.

To take it further, the 3 Series has defined BMW as much as it has defined the segment. And the fact that BMW has managed to display a relentless level of focused consistency with the 3 Series over time has made the company the envy of product development people throughout the industry for years.

Full Story: THE*AUTOEXTREMIST - Rants - Autoextremist.com ~ the bare-knuckled, unvarnished, high octane truth...

What do you think? Can Cadillac finally knock BMW off its pedestal?

Great article. The last two paragraphs of the article tell the tale...if Cadillac can knock off BMW.....

"It will take a decade of the kind of focused consistency as practiced by BMW in order for Cadillac to make even the slightest dent in the aura built up around the 3 Series. Can it be done? No automaker is infallible, so Cadillac’s chance is as good as any.

But one thing that's in short supply down at the RenCen these days is patience. And I just have to wonder if there’s enough of it to go around to see this quest through to fruition."

Leaping ahead, if BMW 3 class is the target, then will the ATS V become the focus of Cadillac racing in the coming seasons? It would seem that there would be more series and opportunities to prove superiority = race on Sunday, sell on Monday!

More races = more XLR trips and gatherings - sounds like a plan to us.
See everyone at Mid Ohio:cool:

Follow-up to previous post: I just showed Coach the ATS photos and her immediate response was "Does it come in a V convertible?" Men are from Mars, etc. so if you are listening Cadillac a significant market has just spoken!!

Excellent article, Rob - thanks for sharing.

I've been waiting for the ATS to come out so I can take a serious look at it this fall. I'm looking for something that is more fuel efficient than my DTX and XLR - and I need something for the winter, when the XLR is put to slumber. I'm pretty excited about this car. Can Cadillac knock BMW off the pedestal? Time will tell - I just hope GM has the patience to let Cadillac continue to work at it. :drool:

I, too, have been waiting for the ATS to come out. Even more so for the ATS-V. It will also be interesting to see what engine they put in the V, since the ATS has an optional 326HP engine.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom