Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Original V Tires available

newv

Seasoned Member
Anyone fanatical enough about keeping (or having) everything original that they want an original set of runflats for the V? If you noticed my other post you know I swapped these out. They are from an 06, and have 5-6/32 tread left. I'd sell them cheap if you can figure out how to get them shipped at a reasonable cost. More details if anyone is interested.

After rolling on my Conti's for a full year you couldn't pay me to go back. But I'll bet someone will be interested. If not here than on eBay.
Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but I would never buy 11 year old tires, even if they looked new. Experts recommend changing tires once they reach 10 years old, whether they show signs of dry rot or not. Especially for a high performance tire like the ones specified for the XLR.

Quote from the Popular Mechanics article:
"It's good practice to replace tires as soon as you see signs of dry rot, to prevent blowouts and the subsequent loss of vehicle control. Even if there are no signs of rot, the industry standard is to swap out tires before they hit 10 years old, and some tire companies recommend replacement as early as six years after manufacture."

Do You Really Need To Replace Those Tires?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah fair enough nerkpowers, it is why I said is anyone fanatical enough about originality. I do believe tires age, dry rot, and fail, however I think the six year "recommendation" is self serving tire manufacture's BS. Tire aging is indeed a complex process, much accelerated by UV, so a six, even ten year recommendation is nothing more than a CYA generalization that also helps sell more tires. Our cars likely spend a lot of indoor time, hence less UV and less clock ageing. More concerning may be when tire manufactures begin to design with their own short term arbitrary limit in mind and make it come true! Don't get me wrong, not tying to pump up my tires (pardon the pun), they are indeed old and have used up a lot of clock life no doubt (three are 9 years old, only one is 11), but I assume everyone on this site knows these old tires are no substitute for newer used ones.

Way back before the Ford/Firestone debacle that started the public awareness campaign of tire age, I had a spare tire blow-out in the trunk of my car. It was probably 20 years old and I asked an old tire guy what could have happened. Being in the business he knew tires did this from age and wasn't surprised at all once he saw how old it was. Now it's common knowledge but I take issue with the "safe" number now promoted by the industry.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom