Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Paint Finishing Dillema w The Clear Coat ?????

CNC

Supporting Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Gold Mist XLR & 79' Eldorado Convert
Hi All,

As 05 Grand Daddy knows I had been painting and refinishing my truck. Base coat, clear coat. (Dark, "Majestic Blue Metallic") My issue and problem is as follows with the clear coat. Ugh.

When final buffing the driver's side rear door, I got too close to the door edge with the buffer, and Yup, "Zip" went through to the gray primer in a heart beat, on the edge. Dang! :( So, I sanded the surface and edge with #600 Grit wet, and laid down 4 new coats of base (color coat), let it dry and then 6 coats of new clear, Feathered the clear somewhat across the door to try to get it to blend in. Did not use a blending agent, or straight reducer to blend (probably should have?). Now cured and dry. One week ago.

Then I wet sanded the whole door with #1200 grit, then #2000 grit, then #3000 grit and started buffing. Shines like a mirror and looks good, except for "HAZING WHERE THE NEW CLEAR COAT ENDS AND THE OLD BEGINS".

Anyone have and suggestions on how to get rid of the hazing? :dunno:

Last edited:
without a blending agent I would have clearcoated the complete door. what did you sand the old paint with before the new clear? if you tried to blennd the clear, I doubt that will work. One week unless you baked it may not have cured completly. Unless you are in a rush I would wait for 30 days total to see how it drys out. If the haze is stil lthere, I would sand with 1500 and just apply one good coat over the complete door.

Thanks for the input!

without a blending agent I would have clearcoated the complete door. what did you sand the old paint with before the new clear? if you tried to blennd the clear, I doubt that will work. One week unless you baked it may not have cured completly. Unless you are in a rush I would wait for 30 days total to see how it drys out. If the haze is stil lthere, I would sand with 1500 and just apply one good coat over the complete door.

I used #600 grit wet on the old base coat before I re-shot it where I went through with the buffer right on the very edge of the door. Darn that buffer stripped that edge off FAST! :( I really was "trying to be careful" because I know to stay away from body ridges and door edges with the buffer. Oops. --- Did 4 coats of base. First one shot right on door edge where I went through. Next also on edge but fanned out a bit. Then kept hitting the area and fanning out more and more away from the door edge where I had gone through. Followed exactly the same procedure with the clear. Then I sanded the whole panel with #1500 grit wet, #2,000 grit wet, then #3000 grit wet and started buffing. When buffing I began with 3M #2 compound, then went to 3M #3 compound (I also have 3M #1 coarse). Shines great and is smooth as new glass, except for the hazing where the new clear coat was fanned out over the old. I am a novice at this (rookie) :) and didn't know about the blending agent feathering technique which would have been easy to do at the time. I think you are correct about letting it cure longer (I have no baking facility), then trying to buff out the hazing. Plus, it has again been cold here for summer. Around 70* day and 52* at night with lots of rain and thunderstorms, so it has pretty much stayed in the garage. These storms are supposed to end Tuesday, with low 80*'s and lots of sun again. So will sit it outside then. Wait a few weeks. --- Maybe (?) then sand again with #2000 and #3000 first? Like you said, if that doesn't work. I will sand the whole door again with #600 Grit, clean it, tack cloth it, and re-clear the whole door.

Thank you sooo much for your input!

Last edited:
I used #600 grit wet on the old base coat before I re-shot it where I went through with the buffer right on the very edge of the door. Darn that buffer stripped that edge off FAST! :( I really was "trying to be careful" because I know to stay away from body ridges and door edges with the buffer. Oops. --- Did 4 coats of base. First one shot right on door edge where I went through. Next also on edge but fanned out a bit. Then kept hitting the area and fanning out more and more away from the door edge where I had gone through. Followed exactly the same procedure with the clear. Then I sanded the whole panel with #1500 grit wet, #2,000 grit wet, then #3000 grit wet and started buffing. When buffing I began with 3M #2 compound, then went to 3M #3 compound (I also have 3M #1 coarse). Shines great and is smooth as new glass, except for the hazing where the new clear coat was fanned out over the old. I am a novice at this (rookie) :) and didn't know about the blending agent feathering technique which would have been easy to do at the time. I think you are correct about letting it cure longer (I have no baking facility), then trying to buff out the hazing. Plus, it has again been cold here for summer. Around 70* day and 52* at night with lots of rain and thunderstorms, so it has pretty much stayed in the garage. These storms are supposed to end Tuesday, with low 80*'s and lots of sun again. So will sit it outside then. Wait a few weeks. --- Maybe (?) then sand again with #2000 and #3000 first? Like you said, if that doesn't work. I will sand the whole door again with #600 Grit, clean it, tack cloth it, and re-clear the whole door.

Thank you sooo much for your input!

Hi CNC
How is it going? I agree with MickyTee that it may need more time to release the paint chemicals under the clear coat and completely dry. If you get a couple nice sunny days, use the sun as a heat source, park the truck so the sun helps heat up that door and dry it out! Lets us know how you made out. Also it may take longer then a month to cure, if it seems to be fading away some, give it more time before sanding and recoat! GOOD LUCK!

Sent from Grand Daddy iPhone using Tapatalk

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back