Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Paint Job

Cadiblk

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2005 Black Raven XLR
Some %^&**^^ keyed my xlr today. I have contacted my insurance and they (of course) suggested a few body shops. The scratch covers the rear quarter panel, door, and front fender. I was curious if there is anything special I should know being that the body materials are both fiberglass and SMC. Are there special painting techniques that I should be aware of and ask about?

I was really hoping to keep my baby in original condition, but that will no longer be the case. Any good arguments should the insurance company try to avoid a total respray? They always claim to match the paint, but from my experience they just use the VIN code and order the paint. I have taken very good care of my car but I am sure the paint has changed somewhat over the last 10+ years.

Thank you

Greg

Black is a pretty easy color to match shade wise. Now fadding match might be another issue. Now might be a good time to respray the entire car. Get rid of those rock chips up front and get your self that triple black they offered in later year on the cts v. Paint to me is everything on a car. But that's me.

Thanks. The insurance company wouldn't buy off on a total respray, but did suggest I find a shop specializing in color / fade matching. I am starting that search in my area to see what may be available. Triple black would be nice as I am not a huge fan of the Raven black, but unfortunately will not be happening.

if it was me,,,,

Sorry to hear your story. Same happened to me back in '97 with a new p/u truck, parked at a shopping center that had a 'sports bar' business and a big ball game going on that night on their big screens. Guess there was an un-happy, drunk loser that took out his frustrations on my truck. Bastad!

I would suggest using the highest priced, body shop/painter in your area.....one that does 'custom cars' OR call a dealership that sells high-end, exotic cars,,,and see who they say they use to paint their cars if needed.

It doesn't stop with just paint color match............the clear coat must be a quality job or it will blister/fade over time....critical part of the re-paint, IMO.
Ask the painter to add 'flex' to the paint.....will help with small rock hits and large bugs.

Good luck!

p z

Yes, do your research first and ask to see some past work. I threw away money having the wrong painter first.

I kind of think black raven is the easiest to match - had some fender work done on our black one by the local dealer & it turned out fine. On the other hand, they changed body shop guys inbetween times so when I had a small area painted on the red one they did it in Crimson Pearl instead of Infrared. :mad:

On the other hand, they changed body shop guys inbetween times so when I had a small area painted on the red one they did it in Crimson Pearl instead of Infrared. :mad:

He thought you wanted an upgrade! :reddevil

As far as any special painting/bodywork requirements - I would suggest going to a place that KNOWS how to work on Corvettes ... they should be able to handle the special body material work, then ... my opinion. Good luck (sorry to hear about your incident - that sucks :mad:)

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom