Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Paint Protection

I'm surprised the heat gun is not softening the glue better. Have you tried a 1,500 watt hair dryer on high? Or "Goof Off?" I just used my heat gun to take decals off my engine area (on my 84 El Camino) and they softened with ease. And these decals had been there for many years. (I would not take the plastic scraper anywhere near the car!)
What would you suggest using to scrape the melted crap off with?
Hi, just finished both mirrors. Used a heat gun and ice scraper to take off most of the plastic/residue and then just used the heat gun/towel to remove the rest. Turned out perfect. Here are in progress and after completion. Took my time, heat gun on medium, approximately 1 hour of work time per mirror. Now I have to really think about the front hood section and what I'm going to do as that is a much bigger area and have to protect front grill and side by each headlight assembly.

Attachments

• 20240405_145953_HDR.jpg
    20240405_145953_HDR.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • 20240405_113054.jpg
    20240405_113054.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
Didn't actually have to use goo gone. Get most off with scraper then just one more use of heat gun wipe off what was left with towel while applying heat

3m makes general purpose adhesive cleaner 08984 thatbody shops use to removve glue residue without harm to the paint. Does not need heat . just pour a little spot and push the glue one way. It rolls up. You will use a lot of paper towels to pickup the glue.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom