Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Paint Protection

boilermaker

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2009 Black/Tan XLR: 2008 STS V8 AWD: 2008 SRX Premium AWD
Was wondering what the concenses is pertaining to having the application of a "Paint Protection System" applied to their vehicles.
There are various types i.e. Simonize, Zeibart and some done professionally by the dealers.
Adds additional protection from bird droppings, acid rain etc.

Owning a Collision Repair shop, I feel they are really not necessary... the clearcoats on the vehicles of today are formulated to guard against damaging effects of the environment. These are a way for dealerships to make $$$$...

I agree, a good coat of wax does wonders. Somebody was showing me some super goop used on aircraft, really expensive, at the end of the day I think he lost gloss using it.
Bruce

Like bpappy, I think a good coat of wax does wonders. I'm always polishing and waxing Scarlett-V to keep her looking pristine. The only other protection I am considering is the 3M clear bra protection for the front bumper area; to save it from rock chips. There is a business near me that does it and I'll be checking it out come spring. Til then Scarlett-V sits in her heated garage covered up!!;);)

Like bpappy, I think a good coat of wax does wonders. I'm always polishing and waxing Scarlett-V to keep her looking pristine. The only other protection I am considering is the 3M clear bra protection for the front bumper area; to save it from rock chips. There is a business near me that does it and I'll be checking it out come spring. Til then Scarlett-V sits in her heated garage covered up!!;);)
Many do this with their Corvettes if you follow through you may want to include the side mirrors. I am thinking about this also. I know if you get a group together 3M rep will come to an Event (possibly Colrado) and have been know to give up to a 40% discount if you have enough people interested. They do it right at your hotel its fun to watch them cut and apply. Doesnt take that long there masters at it.:)

Fred:wave::wave::wave:

If we're talking about clear film, I'm a huge fan.

I have it on my front bumper, hood, fenders, a-pillars, mirrors, and rear bumper...

I've already accidentally backed into something and the film protected it from knicking.

Owning a Collision Repair shop, I feel they are really not necessary... the clearcoats on the vehicles of today are formulated to guard against damaging effects of the environment. These are a way for dealerships to make $$$$...

I agree with MT, you don't really need it. As others have posted, a good coat of wax and or paint sealant will help keep your paint protected from the elements. A clay bar will help to remove contaminates from the clear coat.

New member, I have a 2006 XLR, there is a film/plastic on the front hood and mirrors. The problem is that it has cracked all over and I don't like the look of it at all. Any suggestions for removal or fixing?

A heat gun on medium, a plastic scraper will do it. I've used a spray solvent and a scraper with good results.

Yep, a heat gun will do it but be careful on the heat. If its yellowed or cracking your paint under it may show a color change from the uncovered section. When you heat and start to remove dont pull the film back over itself but rather pull it like you are stretching it towards where it came from. That will help keep the glue on the film.

Yep, a heat gun will do it but be careful on the heat. If its yellowed or cracking your paint under it may show a color change from the uncovered section. When you heat and start to remove dont pull the film back over itself but rather pull it like you are stretching it towards where it came from. That will help keep the glue on the film.
Mine was so bad on my other vehicle (old) when I put the heat on it I had to scrape it off in sections, no peeling back to it. I finally got that liquid solvent, sprayed it on, let it set for 15 minutes and I was able to get it off with a plastic putty knife in gobs.

Thanks for all of the comments. I may have asked my question incorrectly. I was looking for a way to fix it, not remove it. Looked around quite a bit and really don't see any good ways to do so. Concerned about removing it and having the paint underneath not matching the other paint on the vehicle.

Was wondering what the concenses is pertaining to having the application of a "Paint Protection System" applied to their vehicles.
There are various types i.e. Simonize, Zeibart and some done professionally by the dealers.
Adds additional protection from bird droppings, acid rain etc.
Turtle Wax has a new product you may want to look into that it's in hybrid product new on the market

It seems this post went off in a few directions. " Paint Protection" usually refers to putting a "ceramic" coating on your paint. Not the same as the "Clear Bra" plastic shield. I personally like both but will focus on the "Ceramic."
There were lots of reference to a "good coat of wax" being "as good" as Ceramic. One needs to understand that the Ceramic application is in lieu of any wax! Instead of waxing your car after polishing (remember polishing and waxing are different) you apply the ceramic. Done right (and its a simple job) the least expensive ceramic will protect your finish far better, and longer, than any wax!
Ceramic coating gets into the "pores" of your paint, effectively "sealing" your paint. No wax does that. It's harder than any wax, thus, will resist paint chips better.
My XLR has a ceramic coating on the whole car, PLUS, plastic shield on the front. Ceramic is so easy to apply, I even put the ceramic coating over the plastic shield. Adam (of Adam's Polishes,) advised me to put the ceramic on top of the plastic for further protection from chips.
That's my input. Hal

Update: in the process of removing the clear plastic film from one side mirror and it is a mess. Used a heat gun and plastic ice scraper, gets quite a bit off but lots of adhesive residue left, still working on it. So another thought...if I can't get this looking right (after cleaning up what I can so there are no/very few bumps) has anyone tried a vinyl wrap, say just on the side mirrors?

Update: in the process of removing the clear plastic film from one side mirror and it is a mess. Used a heat gun and plastic ice scraper, gets quite a bit off but lots of adhesive residue left, still working on it. So another thought...if I can't get this looking right (after cleaning up what I can so there are no/very few bumps) has anyone tried a vinyl wrap, say just on the side mirrors?
I'm surprised the heat gun is not softening the glue better. Have you tried a 1,500 watt hair dryer on high? Or "Goof Off?" I just used my heat gun to take decals off my engine area (on my 84 El Camino) and they softened with ease. And these decals had been there for many years. (I would not take the plastic scraper anywhere near the car!)

I'm surprised the heat gun is not softening the glue better. Have you tried a 1,500 watt hair dryer on high? Or "Goof Off?" I just used my heat gun to take decals off my engine area (on my 84 El Camino) and they softened with ease. And these decals had been there for many years. (I would not take the plastic scraper anywhere near the car!)
What would you suggest using to scrape the melted crap off with?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom