Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Persistent P2098 code

Tiger38117

I have a persistent p2098 code (lean bank 2 downstream). Have replaced O2 sensor twice. Have also replaced the following recently to solve other problems:

Upstream bank 2 sensor
intake gaskets
plenum hose

The car runs beautifully, idles smooth, good gas mileage, no indications that anything is wrong except the CEL glowing.

Anyone else encounter this?

Thanks

These engines are sometimes finicky. First thing to do would be to check and make sure all the intake manifold bolts are tight

I have a persistent p2098 code (lean bank 2 downstream). Have replaced O2 sensor twice. Have also replaced the following recently to solve other problems:

Upstream bank 2 sensor
intake gaskets
plenum hose

The car runs beautifully, idles smooth, good gas mileage, no indications that anything is wrong except the CEL glowing.

Anyone else encounter this?

Thanks

I have 2006 XLR, and I recently encountered this code as well. P2098, we took it to the dealership, and he indicated the exhaust manifold/converter needs to be replaced, $1300. The problem is the part is on backorder with no date of availability. I will need to contact GM, my concern is that they are not making this part anymore. What options do I have to fix?

Thanks for the suggestion, I read on other threads that my problem may be related short drives that does not get the catalytic converter hot enough. I bought a bottle of CATACLEAN. Going to try this, will post the results. It may help other XLR owners.

Yes, you must be careful. On our Cadillac SRX, we replaced both cat/converters with aftermarket items. When the check engine light went on again after a couple of hundred miles, the garage said "we should try new oxygen sensors... Check engine light came on again, after a few hundred miles. Next, just before the annual inspection I dumped in the Cat-clean magic potion--- worked for a week or two, and we passed inspection-- (of course, the check engine light is ON again). I'm thinking we dumped a couple of thousand dollars in parts/labor, and the infernal light keeps coming on--- so yes, I'd try the Cat/clean snake oil, and see if the damn light goes out. James

That has to be very frustrating...... Best tell the tech that you aren't paying for "Guess Repair"

checkengine 2.jpg

Appreciate your advice, Pure Zen. It appears that some of these computer/electronic monitoring systems are far from fail safe, and apparently what is coming out of the tail pipe may not be an issue when the code and light say otherwise. Of course, when faced with no alternative, you say, "Sure, change out the parts, and you assume that doing so will solve the problem, and when it doesn't, how can you justify not paying for all the work and effort the techs expended in good faith. I keep thinking that there must be some kind of work around to "fool" the computer-- as most of these "systems" work on measuring differences in resistance... Used to be that the measurement of noxious fumes from cars was determined by a probe in the tail pipe at inspection time. The entire issue of the "check engine light" is a real puzzlement, as our 1999 Ford EXPLODER with 185,000 has never registered a check engine light in our 21 years of ownership ...go figure. James

The Cadillac workshop manuals have generally been written to minimize the cost of repairs, with careful sequences of tests before reaching the 'change module' option.

Where can you purchase a Cadillac workshop manual I'm in Texas buffalo Texas can someone direct me or is there web link and by the way do anyone know of a good shop that can put an XLR in the relearning position and programming top and trunk they have to have a a GM Tech 2 with a candi modular

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom