Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Possible purchase

Hi!
I have read as much as I can on the web board and I have a couple of questions.

I am looking at a used XLR at a dealership, I'm going to be negotiating with them (hopefully) for purchase.

It's a 2004 with about 31,000 miles, they want 26500.

I looked at the headlights, and I think this first picture shows that headlight issue the 2004's had. This is one problem I will use to get them to drop the price a bit.

The gaskets around the top of the top are starting to crack, how much do those cost to replace? Another item I plan on pointing out.

It might not show up, but there are bubbles starting in the driver's side headlight's turn signal too.

Other than these visual problems, I haven't driven it yet, I plan on doing that maybe tomorrow, using some of the "pre-purchase" check lists people have posted here. I will definitely be pulling up the carpet in the trunk to check out the pump/ecu/etc area to see if there's any water damage there too.

Thanks for the cool website! I hope to be coming here a lot.

You have identified a few important issues with the 04's; you have done your homework!

My thoughts:
When you are looking at a car of that age with low miles I would check the age of the tires. Make sure they are no more than 4-5 years old. Generally speaking, tires of 7 years or more should be replaced. Even if the car was stored inside the rubber deteriorates after that length of time and it gets hard: no good in corners and susceptible to blow out. Not only could they let you down; a catastrophic blow out can take out a fender.

The manufacture date of the tire is in a oval stamp on the sidewall, the first two digits are the week or manufacturer, the second two digits are the year. In the worst case scenario on an 04 XLR may read something like 2103 which would be the 21st week of 2003. Likewise 0211 would be the second week of 2011. Just something to think about when negotiating.

Other than that, see what they dealers warranty is and what it covers: top articulation, shocks, electronic accessories etc. Take it for a drive: XLR's handle like a snake on sandpaper: it should not feel squidgy in the corners under light aggressive driving, if it does you may have leaking shocks or other suspension trouble.

If you like the car, I suggest you have it inspected by your own mechanic for things like leaking shocks (crazy expensive) or other things like suspension etc. Based on your findings about warranty coverage you could do this after purchase: then 'hold their feet to the fire' if issues are discovered.

It sounds like you have found a nice car and you know these cars are not 'easy to find' but they are out there and available as they don't have the huge following something like a Camaro has. Be willing to 'pass' if you don't have a great feeling for the condition of the car. There will be another one waiting somewhere for you and when you find it - you will find your dream!

Good luck in your conquest David! :burnout:

Welcome David
Those light are quite costly when I bought my 05 in March 2011 I taken her the a local Cadillac Dealer, they call this crazing on DLR lights cost was then 1250.00$ each and 500.00 replacement cost, as trying to earn my maintenance and repair business they offered to replace them for $500 labor, which I did go for!
So if they are Cadillac dealer I'd try to get them exchanged in your buying deal and any other thing you might not be happy with! These 4.6 NORTHSTAR motor have some oil leaking problems I'd check them out too! In the trunk in the left rear corner is the main top pump pull up the carpet , move the cardboard and make sure there's no sign of moisture or even looks corroded or wet in there, if so that could cause major top issues???
Operate the hard top up and down a few times make sure it runs full cycles!
Last note is to check buying an aftermarket warranty these awesome cars are Cadillac and not cheap fixes!
That's your basic's I'd check out and get the dealer to fix what ever you can!
We love or Roxy but can be an expensive repair car without a good warranty
My warranty cost 1800.00 but they paid out 3 times that and still have 1 half years or 15000 miles before it runs out!
If you buy it you will Love go ahead and go for it! But check her out good!
We welcome you here with open arms! GOOD LUCK!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Ok *cough*cough*.
I think i just got cancer sitting in this car *cough*. Lol
Small cars just should not be smoked in..
Besides feeling like i was in an ashtray, there was an 8th inch of water in the drivers side tub. Didn't look like it ever filled up and the tops of everything in the tub looked clean.
Top worked good. Drove fine. Looks like they steam cleaned the engine.
I offered them 23500 otd. That might even be to much...
Getting that smokers smell out will probably require new seating materials. I am sure the padding is empregnated with that aweful smell..

Perhaps you could work into the deal for steam cleaning the carpets and headliner; ask them to adjust the seats fore & aft to get under the seats as best they can. Then Fabreeze under the seats, under the dash (I believe they even make a smoke eaters Fabreeze. The worst culprits for harboring stink is fabric, the leather seats shouldn't be too bad once a good leather cleaner is applied followed by a leather conditioner. Good luck!

I think passing is likely the best route if you are a non-smoker. I know I would not purchase a smokers car.

When I purchased mine 'sight unseen' I had a long telephone conversation with the dealer (in Missouri) about the condition of the car. Beyond the condition of the interior and paint, the other hot topic was that it had to be a non-smoker car.

Continue your search, you will find your dream XLR!

14,000 miles is exceptionally low for a 2004!

Sounds like it was well-cared for as well.

Well worth a little extra $$.

Congratulations on your new acquisition and hope you love it as much as we love ours!!

Glad you found your "One in a million"!!!! Here's to YEARS of wondrous top down cruising!!! Congrats...

David
Sounds as though u found a gem. Awesome color combo. Hope u enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine. Run a maintenance history thru GM and it will give u a good picture of where u are at with recalls ,battery ,headlights and such. I'm assuming the original owner always took it to dealer. You still have some top down weather available. I know with that car u will use every bit of it. ENJOY
V Happy :wave:

David sounds like you found a winner. I too have taken my drivers side XLR embroidered logo (probably factory done) out and replaced with a regular after market cheep floor mat. I didn't want to cut it up because i have adaptions (because i drive left footed) and a suicide knob. I have the 06 infrared and purchased back in oct of 2012 she only had 20758 miles. I have her garage kept and she just had a full bath and detail. She is getting ready to be shown at a local car show here in my area. I also take her to several cruise ins in my area. I get asked so many questions . So what i have done is made up a couple poster boards. Printed out the info from this site about the car. Mounted it and use it when i go to the shows. Granddaddy has even told me that those chair in a bag work great for when you travel to shows. They fit in the well area so you can still drive topless and set the bag chair in that area.
Screen shot 2014-03-28 at 8.57.15 PM.jpg

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back