Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

power door locks

long Tall Sally

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2008 xlr dove gray
anyone know a way to let passengers out without putting car in park? Grandma wants to get out but cannot unlock the door if I just hold the brake pedal in gear. Have to put her in park (the car) grandma stays in overdrive all the time

Sorry, mine works like an override. Sometimes my pass. door is half shut, I drive off and get the warning, I hit the main switch, the door unlocks, and I can open the pass door to shut it fully.

i agree with Rex,,,, that works for me also.

Better yet, put car in Park and leave your door ajar.................and go around and open the door for Grandma and help her out. :)

grandma is in better shape than most of guys. She would be In the store and back before you got around the car. She would most likely smack you in the head if you tried to open the door for her.

Maybe you could just loan your car to Grandma.

icon54.gif
:rocker:

It may very well be, that it’s relocking immediately because the cars is still in drive.... not sure just saying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that is the issue I have . Because its in gear it locks automaticlly. You can pull the emergency cable release but with time that may fail . Its not made to use al lthe time. Grandma actully has a 1970 Hemi cuda with close to 700 HP. this car is too tame for her. shes only 70

"Grandma actually has a 1970 Hemi cuda with close to 700 HP. this car is too tame for her. shes only 70"

I think I know her................................Shirley Muldowney, right? :lol:

that is the issue I have . Because its in gear it locks automaticlly. You can pull the emergency cable release but with time that may fail . Its not made to use al lthe time. Grandma actully has a 1970 Hemi cuda with close to 700 HP. this car is too tame for her. shes only 70

So by what I’m reading here... she’ll let you sitting in her dust [emoji23][emoji23][emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Well it seems that you must have a relay or wiring issue because other posters can open the door while in drive. I have a 2006 with just 17000 miles and everything works properly and i can push the button to open the door and it opens. I had a 2006 Corvette and it worked the same way.
This is a safety issue and you should fix it ASAP you wouldn't want to get into a accident and not be able to open the door and exit.

Last edited:
yeah, I am waiting for some one with an 08 or 09 to chime in. MAybe they changed it 08

Very doubtful since the XLR was a C6 Corvette basically and shared much with the XLR.

From the 2008 owners manual:

Your vehicle is programmed so that, when the doors are closed, the ignition is on and the shift lever is moved out of P (Park), all the doors will lock.
If someone needs to get out while the vehicle is not in P (Park), have the person use the power door unlock switch. When the door is closed again, the doors will lock either when your foot is removed from the brake or the vehicle speed becomes faster than 8 mph (13 km/h).

Not sure why any of them would act differently.

Gary

I had read that in the 06 manual but have not found an 08 yet to confirm, Since you have a 06 do you have the 08 manual or just going by a reprint online? Many of those are copies and they just reprint one year to cover all years. My dealer had checked and said the 08 and 09 had to be put in park to unlock the door.

Government regulations change a lot for safety reasons. Faster airbags, delayed airbags, many reasons a company makes a small change from year to year. When my passenger presses the unlock button, it just locks back before they can open the door so I think their is an issue or its made that way.

I would suggest you check out the wiring and relays. Fed regulations do not change any requirements during a model run as to door lock etc. But Emissions change every year and get tighter reducing emissions and mileage.

sorry but when I worked at Toyota there were constant updates to Camry's , Tundra's. Corolla's within a model run . People would come in and say my last year car did this or that and we would find it to be a new compliance regulation. Oh and you would be amazed as to what emissions regulations can cause to change on a car. This might just be a matter of GM wants you to park and shut the car off instead of being able to pull up and let some one out and circle the block. You figure out all the reasons they do stupid stuff like engine start and stop at every light to get like one tenth of one mPG better and maybe you could save a lot of the plants closing HAHAHH Thanks for the input I will check it out further. I just disconnected the wire to the locks from the shifter and all works fine. I can lock the doors when I want or leave them unlocked when I ride in most states. I personally see no reason to lock the doors on an adult driven car when in motion. Maybe an suv with kids In the back ? yes.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom