Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Problems and questions about an '04.

2WheelWrench

This is my 3rd Caddy, having owned 1958 and 1962 models...so you can see I have some catching up to do! I turn my own wrenches, and have done so on all of my vehicles. This forum has been very helpful in becoming familiar with such a beautiful vehicle. Thanks!

I have a few problems/questions:

1) I've read the posts about the Tech II scanner, but am still unclear whether to buy Chinese or not. I read one seller's comments on EBay, saying that the Chinese units will corrupt the car's software (he was selling an original dealer's system, so I wonder about his truthfulness/motive).

2) Both of my headlight lenses are usable. However, the XLR branded "shield", covering the turn signal bulbs, is melted in both assemblies. So I am looking for lights to cannibalize. Are there any wrecking yards that specialize in XLRs?

3) The engine leaks oil from the front. I've de-greased and am trying to narrow down where the leak(s) is(are). The former owner was told rear main seal, which is wrong. What are the most likely sources?

4) The owner was also told that the radiator had a pin hole leak. This is also incorrect, as the radiator is dry, but the front of the engine is wet (water pump?).

5) The driver's door sags as if someone put all of their weight on it while it was open. The hinges are fine. There is a small (1 1/2") crack at the very front/top of the inner part of the door. When opening the door, the latch side drops approximately 3/4". Is the structure of the door all plastic? A local body man said that he would have to dismantle the door...

6) The outside rear view mirrors have minds of their own. They must be adjusted each time the car is started. When shifting to reverse, the passenger mirror moves UP instead of down, and then has to be readjusted after shifting out of reverse.

7) I would like to purchase a complete, hard copy, OEM service manual. I know they exist, because someone posted a pic... I subscribe to AllData, but it seems inadequate. Are the online DVD manuals copies of the OEM?

8) Finally, for now (ha!), the gas gauge is erratic and the trip meters are unreliable, although the odometer appears to be working correctly. Sometimes the display will indicate that the coolant is low, although it isn't. I have only driven the car 20 miles or so, but the previous owner said that the display gives other incorrect information. My question is whether or not the display and gas gauge are controlled by the same module.

Thanks, in advance, for any and all comments, suggestions and instructions. William.

For a man who turns his own wrenches why did you set yourself up for failure with a car that needs so much when so little is out there for these vehicles minor in the past but this is a major undertaking I hope you have the skills good luck. jerz p.s not knocking you just questioning why you bought a car in such a state.

Sent from my SM-T357T using Tapatalk

This is my 3rd Caddy, having owned 1958 and 1962 models...so you can see I have some catching up to do! I turn my own wrenches, and have done so on all of my vehicles. This forum has been very helpful in becoming familiar with such a beautiful vehicle. Thanks!

1) I've read the posts about the Tech II scanner, but am still unclear whether to buy Chinese or not. I read one seller's comments on EBay, saying that the Chinese units will corrupt the car's software (he was selling an original dealer's system, so I wonder about his truthfulness/motive)..
I can say that the Chinese Tech II works as advertised. YMMV

2) Both of my headlight lenses are usable. However, the XLR branded "shield", covering the turn signal bulbs, is melted in both assemblies. So I am looking for lights to cannibalize. Are there any wrecking yards that specialize in XLRs?
Good luck.

3) The engine leaks oil from the front. I've de-greased and am trying to narrow down where the leak(s) is(are). The former owner was told rear main seal, which is wrong. What are the most likely sources?
No help

4) The owner was also told that the radiator had a pin hole leak. This is also incorrect, as the radiator is dry, but the front of the engine is wet (water pump?)
In my case, I had a small crack in the top of the radiator tank that was always dry. I would say a pressure tester is in your future

5) The driver's door sags as if someone put all of their weight on it while it was open. The hinges are fine. There is a small (1 1/2") crack at the very front/top of the inner part of the door. When opening the door, the latch side drops approximately 3/4". Is the structure of the door all plastic? A local body man said that he would have to dismantle the door..
There's metal underneath the plastic. It would have to be a 300 pound bear to bend it, unless the car was in an accident

6) The outside rear view mirrors have minds of their own. They must be adjusted each time the car is started. When shifting to reverse, the passenger mirror moves UP instead of down, and then has to be readjusted after shifting out of reverse.
BCM maybe?

7) I would like to purchase a complete, hard copy, OEM service manual. I know they exist, because someone posted a pic... I subscribe to AllData, but it seems inadequate. Are the online DVD manuals copies of the OEM?
Never seen one, but that doesn't mean they're not out there. I've had pretty good luck using Chilton's online manuals

8) Finally, for now (ha!), the gas gauge is erratic and the trip meters are unreliable, although the odometer appears to be working correctly. Sometimes the display will indicate that the coolant is low, although it isn't. I have only driven the car 20 miles or so, but the previous owner said that the display gives other incorrect information. My question is whether or not the display and gas gauge are controlled by the same module.
That's a wide open question. Fuel senders, BCM, really needs a TECH II to drill down in the car

Thanks, in advance, for any and all comments, suggestions and instructions. William.

​Here's hoping you got a good price on the car. Lots of big or little stuff wrong with it

Welcome! - sounds like you have a project!

I only have suggestions for the oil leaks -- try checking the cam shaft actuators. Timing chain cover is another common leak spot, along with the oil pan (sounds like you've eliminated this last one from contention). I know about these 3 because they were all leaking on mine.

1) I've read the posts about the Tech II scanner, but am still unclear whether to buy Chinese or not. I read one seller's comments on EBay, saying that the Chinese units will corrupt the car's software (he was selling an original dealer's system, so I wonder about his truthfulness/motive).

The original was made in China under license. Back then the Chinese models could not do all actions (most though). I don't know the current situation, though others do not seem to report problems. Suggest you review posts on this forum about the Tech-II.

This could be difficult. Ones with melted covers are real common, 'good' ones are unobtainable.

Front cover/cam timing. There was an upgraded timing cover and better (thicker) gasket. It is a huge job as you have to remove the front suspension to remove the steering to get to the harmonic balancer.

4) The owner was also told that the radiator had a pin hole leak. This is also incorrect, as the radiator is dry, but the front of the engine is wet (water pump?).

Common defect, the 'V' pump is the usual upgrade.

5) The driver's door sags as if someone put all of their weight on it while it was open. The hinges are fine. There is a small (1 1/2") crack at the very front/top of the inner part of the door. When opening the door, the latch side drops approximately 3/4". Is the structure of the door all plastic? A local body man said that he would have to dismantle the door...

No info.

No info. Poor battery results in all sorts of strange behaviors. Fit the best possible battery and keep on a conditioner.

No info.

See note on battery (above), also, using a gas supplement is reported by others as useful, suggest you read up on this site about erratic gas gauges.

See in-line above.

Thanks for all the input. In response to why?, I have always had a project...I like the challenge and I usually do not lose in the deal, if you know what I mean! I have had Corvairs, MGs, Lexus, a Nissan 6 cylinder diesel sedan with ser.#0001, BMWs, Corvettes, and most recently a Jaguar. All were convertibles (except the Lexus and Nissan) and all required work. I did NOT know of the scarcity of parts for the XLR, but I had stars in my eyes after driving it...ha! It is also one of the most beautiful cars I have seen in my long and storied life. I'll put a couple thousand in it (not counting sweat and tears), and drive it for a while.

I have 5 motorcycles, which are my main mode of transportation (rain or shine-I am in Florida).

I really appreciate the shock replacement post and have the Bilsteins on order.

The tech 2 is next to be ordered.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back