Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! rack n pinion for 2005 XLR

Golhock

My XLR/V(s)
Black /Black 2005 XLR
Hi guys..2005 XLR

Looking for help in finding a new rack n pinion, Whats the best brand, remanufactured or New??

Anything I should be on the lookout for that may not be the exact part Im looking for?

some have deposit for the core, or if I send in the core they give a lifetime warranty.

Also, has anyone installed an open Element Air intake "Brand Volant", will this fit?..see below or attachment!!
Or do you have a better recommendation to open the air intake of the XLR...Im not a fan of the stock intake..

Thank you for your help.
Filter XLR.jpg

Rock Auto has several brands available, all reconditioned, as I recall from a search I did several months ago. I think GM has discontinued the production

GM has indeed discontinued the power steering rack for our cars. I recently had my power steering rack replaced and I found the last one that Auto Parts, Buy Car Parts, Automotive Accessories - Buy Auto Parts had in stock. ACDelco no longer manufactures our power steering rack, but can rebuild yours. Be aware that the ACDelco process can take 3 - 6 months.

the volant fresh air system is about all that is offered other than making up one from scratch. I thought Rexstar got a new one from gm that was no good and had to be replaced on the rack. I doubt anyone has much experience In rebuilding them unless they are the same as the vette which I do not know but the tie rods are same, I doubt the rack is. Summitt racing shows one available in about a month for 550 less 50 coupon and 150 core. Sounds about right and they are pretty easy to deal with on their warranty. So who ever they are getting them from has to do a pretty good job.

Rock Auto has AC Delco reman. rack and pinion listed for 325$ with a 125$ core charge.
ACDELCO 36R0423 {#19320521}

Thank you Long Tall Sally, yeah im comfortable getting the Volant..especially if thats the only one..haha..thank you for the reply...ill take a look at Summitt racing..Thank you

Thank you Rexster314..thats about what ive seen for a remanufactured rack n pinion..330 plus 200 core charge refunded after returned core...what do you think is a good warranty timeframe on rack n pinion should be?
also, when I purchase a rack n pinion..are there any other parts or bearings, bushings, or parts I should be aware of and ask when I order ? Im going to do the tie rods at the same time..If you can shed any light on the tie rods ..that would be great too...I really appreciate anything you add.

GM has indeed discontinued the power steering rack for our cars. I recently had my power steering rack replaced and I found the last one that Auto Parts, Buy Car Parts, Automotive Accessories - Buy Auto Parts had in stock. ACDelco no longer manufactures our power steering rack, but can rebuild yours. Be aware that the ACDelco process can take 3 - 6 months.

Hmm? Gold Mist, the 'fastest color'. Oh my, here I go again with XLRating. I probably should leave this alone. Just can't help myself.
:cool:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back