Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Radio Aux Connection Installation?

jhansen

My XLR/V(s)
Bella, 2005 XLR, Luxo Blue
I would like to be able to play my IPOD in my 05 XLR. I tried the FM link--no good. Does anyone have any experience with the installation of an after market Auxiliary Connection installation. Recommended hardware and installation tips would be much appreciated. :confused:

Hi - I have an Ipod FM connector that I bought when I first got my Ipod about three years ago. I got it at an auto parts place (I think Auto Zone) for about $30. I plug it into the power outlet in the car (or in our PT Cruiser in the cigarette lighter) and tune it to a frequency that is free in the area (87.9 around here), put the radio on the same frequency and play the Ipod through the adapter. I have to say that I didn't know how good the sound system in a car could be until I got my XLR. I'm a huge Johnny Cash fan and have heard parts of the 'Live at Folsom Prison' CD that I had never heard before.
Diane

Thank you Diane. I appreciate your response.

I purchased an FM transmitter and I found that it did not give me the same sound quality I get from the IPOD or the radio in the XLR. I think I live in an area that has very little FM bandwidth remaining. I found that as I was driving into new areas, that the sound quality went from not very good, to even worse.

I am glad that you are having good luck with your FM transmitter. I will continue to look for a way to get an auxilliary connector. If I find one, I will give you the details on it, so that if you ever have problems with the FM transmitter that you will have another option.

Sincerely
John

I would like to be able to play my IPOD in my 05 XLR. I tried the FM link--no good. Does anyone have any experience with the installation of an after market Auxiliary Connection installation. Recommended hardware and installation tips would be much appreciated. :confused:

You may want to check out these links. I have the lockpick (from coastal) and am satisfied with it. It does have limitations, but does what I want it to do. It is certainly better the the wirelees FM transmitters in my opinion.

http://www.coastaletech.com/

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/soundgmpd2.html
<O:p</O:p<O:p</O:p
http://www.americaninternational.net/pagedetails.asp?SubCatID=86
<O:p</O:p

Cubby
Thank you for the information. A very interesting little gadget. I noticed the Lockpick were out of stock. I may try for another one.

Where was your XM tuner located? Is it in the trunk our behind the dash?

Thanks again.

Sincerely
John

Cubby, what are the limitations that your lockpick has? If you would , explain the installation process you went thru in your `05 xlr. Thanks.

Cubby
Thank you for the information. A very interesting little gadget. I noticed the Lockpick were out of stock. I may try for another one.

Where was your XM tuner located? Is it in the trunk our behind the dash?

Thanks again.

Sincerely
John

The XM tuner is located just behind the storage area in between the seats. You will have a better time getting at it from the trunk however. You will unplug the connection socket from the tuner and plug it into the lockpick, then the socket from the lockpick to the tuner. I then routed the plug for the ipod into my center console. Instructions come with the unit and it is realtively easy.

Cubby, what are the limitations that your lockpick has? If you would , explain the installation process you went thru in your `05 xlr. Thanks.
You can't really search for songs and playlists when using the lockpick. Not all controls on the steering wheel work (just volume if I remeber correctly.) I have the car stored right now so I cant' go and check everything for you. I set my ipod on shuffle before I plug it in and let it play. With over 1800 songs, I have five days before I hear the same song again. Some don't like the limitations, but it works for my needs.

Cubby
Thank You very much for the information. I will probably see if I can get that done. I will let you know how it turns out.

Sincerely
John

You can scroll through playlists but be reasonable, anything more than a dozen playlists will be a bit long. I agree with Cubby with setting your iPod to shuffle, and let it rip. P1 and P2 will let you go to the previous or the next song. It keeps it charge too, the sound quality is great... according to what I can hear anyway. I use an old iPod which does not hold the charge for long and it stays in the compartment between the two seats all the time.

If I can find the list of commands I will post it here,

SilverX

Seems like a good place to post this. When my XM runs out in April that's it, to much money plus they took Chrome off the lineup. The only reason I keep Onstar is for theft, opening doors, air bag notification to 911 and my GPS location.
You can't really search for songs and playlists when using the lockpick. Not all controls on the steering wheel work (just volume if I remeber correctly.) I have the car stored right now so I cant' go and check everything for you. I set my ipod on shuffle before I plug it in and let it play. With over 1800 songs, I have five days before I hear the same song again. Some don't like the limitations, but it works for my needs.

You may want to check out these links. I have the lockpick (from coastal) and am satisfied with it. It does have limitations, but does what I want it to do. It is certainly better the the wirelees FM transmitters in my opinion.

http://www.coastaletech.com/

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/soundgmpd2.html
<O:p</O:p<O:p</O:p
http://www.americaninternational.net/pagedetails.asp?SubCatID=86
I went to the lockpick site. Which type would fit an 2004 XLR?

I went to the lockpick site. Which type would fit an 2004 XLR?

If you go to the site, on the left side choose GM vehicles, then Cadillac and it will bring up the list--XLR is at the bottom.

The XM module is located in the trunk. You can access it from above the parcel shelf when it's open during the convertible top operation or in the trunk right in between the seats and above the center storage compartment. It's a small module of about 4 x 6 inches if I remember right, it's been a while.

Good luck.

SilverX

Thanks. Found it just like you said. Going to see if I can find my Xm connector.

I was just looking up information for bluetooth and came across this statement on edmunds.com "...and Bluetooth connectivity bring the XLR into the 21st century, as does the new iPod interface, which is available through Cadillac Accessories."

Does anyone know of this iPod interface through Cadillac?

Ben

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back