Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Rear view mirror removal

Monepit1

My XLR/V(s)
Does anyone know how how to remove the rear view mirror. Mine is getting loose and I have to keep adjusting it so I’m gonna take it off and see if I can repair it.

Have you or the previous owner(s) ever had the windshield replaced? If so, many glass techs have not had much experience on replacing the windshield on a XLR or a C6 Corvette. Hence they are unfamiliar with removing the rear view mirror correctly.....and by doing it wrong causes the internal pins to be bent or broken. This is what causes the rear view mirror to wobble.....being very frustrating to the driver. The correct way to remove the mirror is to turn it 1/4 turn counter-clock ways to remove it w/o bending or breaking the pins inside of it.

If this is your problem you can check at a GM part counter to see if these pins are still available to order, or in stock >> #25896360 .. 3 new pins are advisable to work with. There is an optional way by buying 'drill bits' but takes more work to accomplish the job.

I'd suggest that you watch the video on You Tube carefully to learn how to D-I-Y >>>

How To Fix A Loose C6 Corvette Mirror - YouTube

For those owners in need of a windshield replacement, I'd search out a good glass tech who has done many Corvette windshields and ASK THEM
if they are familiar with removing the rear view mirror w/o bending or breaking the pins. Ask them which direction to turn the mirror to remove it...
if they can't answer that question, you need to find another tech to do the job.

Some unfamiliar techs will cause the wobble problem and not tell you it was their fault.

Good luck :wave:

Loose mirror

Monepit1

if it loose from the windshield collision safety braket, PURE ZEN suggestion is the way to fix it.

I had a similar problem, however the loosing mirror, was its rear pivot center used with time, l was able to improved it with electrical tape.

The tape was rolled with the sticking side in the exterior side and roll it up to a 1/2'' diameter, this cushion made was sticked between the pivot and the mirror head.( well hide )

Before installing the home made cushion, adjust the mirror as per your need and re do it if necessary, on my car the miror stopped falling too low.

IAN :thumbsup

Last edited:
I'm actually considering a replacement myself, due to the same issue. Mirror is loose at the adjusting joint, not the windshield contact area. There are 4 tabs that can easily break off, and I've already lost two there.

Is there a brand that would be compatible with the OEM 16-pin connector?

If not, I'm definitely considering this, even though I have no need for the camera and don't intend on hooking it up.
Boyo VTM43FL 4.3 Inch Frameless Rear View Mirror Monitor | eBay

Thanks. I’ll try that. Never removed. Just getting loose And slowly dropping over time

I’ve got the same issue with my 2005. What years does the repair mentioned above apply to? The reason I ask is it appears the 04-05 mirror is different than the 06-09.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom