Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Remove XM Antenna for painting

SanDiegoXLR

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2005 Platinum with Shale
Hi there, has anyone removed their trunk-mounted factory OEM XM antenna to paint it? My black antenna is an unsightly wart on my silver beauty! Was wondering how difficult it is to remove the trunk panel trim to get to it. I've already broken several of the clips on a failed attempt to replace the reverse lights with LEDs :mad:

Is the XM antenna attached by a bolt? In other words, did the dealer drill into the trunk lid to install it?
I use my iPod, so I'm tempted just to completely remove it, but not sure I want to have a body shop fill and paint the hole.

One body shop quoted me $350 to remove the XM antenna, paint it, and re-install.
Or the other option was to remove it myself, have them paint it, and re-install myself....that was only $80.

They didn't recommend painting it while on the car since it will need to be sanded, the edges might peel, possibility of overspray (even if they tape it), etc.

Thanks for any tips!

Yes, there's a hole in your rear decklid when you remove the wart. You can access the retaining hardware and cable by removing the rat fur liner on the bottom of the decklid.

CC :wave:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back