Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

removing front fenders

firstone

Seasoned Member
Can someone with a service manual help me. I would like to know how to remove the front fenders from a 2005 xlr. I have searched but couldn't find anything (or I looked in the wrong places).:dunno:
Thanks

Can someone with a service manual help me. I would like to know how to remove the front fenders from a 2005 xlr. I have searched but couldn't find anything (or I looked in the wrong places).:dunno:
Thanks

First remove the wheels, then remove both front and rear splash panels. Remove the headlamps; there are three bolts holding these in place that can be accessed after the front splash panel is removed. There are Torx screws (T15) along the fender under the hood. Also, 6 or 7mm screws can be found along the fender rim attaching the fender to the wheelhouse. There is also a screw under the fender in the rear where it meets the rocker panel; I believe this also takes a 6 or 7mm wrench or socket. I can't remember whether there is a both in the center where the fender matches up to the door, but once the rear shield is off, this area can be seen quite easily.

What about adhesive?

First remove the wheels, then remove both front and rear splash panels. Remove the headlamps; there are three bolts holding these in place that can be accessed after the front splash panel is removed. There are Torx screws (T15) along the fender under the hood. Also, 6 or 7mm screws can be found along the fender rim attaching the fender to the wheelhouse. There is also a screw under the fender in the rear where it meets the rocker panel; I believe this also takes a 6 or 7mm wrench or socket. I can't remember whether there is a both in the center where the fender matches up to the door, but once the rear shield is off, this area can be seen quite easily.

Thanks Rod. That sounds pretty straight forward. Isn't there some kind of adhesive used to attach the fenders to something? I thought I read about that somewhere (I think actually you talked about that somewhere).

On another note, how is your rehab going? Hope all is still good with your recovery.

Larry

Thanks Rod. That sounds pretty straight forward. Isn't there some kind of adhesive used to attach the fenders to something? I thought I read about that somewhere (I think actually you talked about that somewhere).

On another note, how is your rehab going? Hope all is still good with your recovery.

Larry

The adhesive you are wondering about is used to attach the wheelhouses to the frame and hinge area. There is no adhesive holding the fenders in place.
The rehab is going well, albeit MUCH too slowly for my taste. There are still a couple open sores under my right knee, but they are finally healing. The grafts are looking very good, they have attached to the areas very well and are smoothing out quite nicely where they meet my ungrafted skin. Still wearing the compression garments; they are what smooth out the scar tissue. Thanks for asking!!!

Thanks

The adhesive you are wondering about is used to attach the wheelhouses to the frame and hinge area. There is no adhesive holding the fenders in place.
The rehab is going well, albeit MUCH too slowly for my taste. There are still a couple open sores under my right knee, but they are finally healing. The grafts are looking very good, they have attached to the areas very well and are smoothing out quite nicely where they meet my ungrafted skin. Still wearing the compression garments; they are what smooth out the scar tissue. Thanks for asking!!!

Thanks Rod for clearing up the adhesive issue and thanks for posting the removal process.
Very glad to hear rehab is still going good. Sure has been a long haul, hasn't it? Keep the spirits up!!
icon7.gif
icon14.png

Certainly has been a long ordeal. Hard for me to believe that it's coming up on one year from the date of the accident

Hey Rod thx for the update on how your condition is doing I still pray for a full recovery for what remains to finishing healing you back to the best of normal! God Bless!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry