Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Retro Fitting XLR Headlights

T

The Lizard

My XLR is an 04

I had the unfortunate luck of being hit by an un-insured driver while stopped in a parking lot this week. The left headlight was damaged and requires replacement. As with most 04s the DRLs had melted the lense and the headlights needed to be replaced anyway.

The question for the technical types. I understand that there is some type of wiring harness adapter to put 06+ headlamps into a 04-05 XLR. Does this harness keep the 'steerable' headlamps in the straight on position? if not what is the purpose of the harness? My buddy has a set of brand new 06 headlamps which he is offering to me to repair my X. Will this work?

On a related note, has anyone put LED turn bulbs into their vehicle? Does it work? I have read something about pulsed voltage DRL circuits. Does an XLR have such a thing?

Thanks in advance for your help.

My XLR is an 04

I had the unfortunate luck of being hit by an un-insured driver while stopped in a parking lot this week. The left headlight was damaged and requires replacement. As with most 04s the DRLs had melted the lense and the headlights needed to be replaced anyway.

The question for the technical types. I understand that there is some type of wiring harness adapter to put 06+ headlamps into a 04-05 XLR. Does this harness keep the 'steerable' headlamps in the straight on position? if not what is the purpose of the harness? My buddy has a set of brand new 06 headlamps which he is offering to me to repair my X. Will this work?

On a related note, has anyone put LED turn bulbs into their vehicle? Does it work? I have read something about pulsed voltage DRL circuits. Does an XLR have such a thing?

Thanks in advance for your help.

The '06 lamps will work (they are the ones used for replacement on '04-'05). You will need the jumper harness for each lamp assembly. I can post the part # on Monday.

Bruce :wave:

I had both headlamps replaced with the upgraded versions about a year ago. The jumper harness P/N is: 19120977.

CCC :wave:

Thanks for all the great answers.

I am so relieved that I don't have to fork out nearly 2K for the headlights.

As far as the resistor for the DRLs, do you remember the resistance rating for the inline resistors?

Thanks again!

The harness doesn't keep the headlight straight, it simply completes the wiring since the 04 and 05 XLRs don't have the Headlight Control Modules like the newer cars have. To make the new headlights work with the old wiring, you need the jumper harness. You may notice a little 'shaking' of the headlights when you go over bumps and the like. I think it is just a necessary side-effect to having an articulated headlight.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom