Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Rim polishing

Lola's Mom

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Black Raven
Well .... does anyone have any experience with polishing the stock aluminum rims??? I .... uh ... got a little road rash on one yesterday .... and the french fries were not even worth it... :pat:

Thank you for the PM about LA Wheels ....
Here is what I have found out. The wheel can be polished out ... and even a clear coat will be applied ... the cost of the polish will be $100.00 - we think it's more than fair .... so much so we have decided that we will probably have all 4 done. This would have probably been a great time to justify chrome .... but, I don't think so anymore .... now that Lola is 8 years old - we will just enjoy 'original' her the way she came into the world.

Here is what I have found out. The wheel can be polished out ... and even a clear coat will be applied ... the cost of the polish will be $100.00 - we think it's more than fair .... so much so we have decided that we will probably have all 4 done. This would have probably been a great time to justify chrome .... but, I don't think so anymore .... now that Lola is 8 years old - we will just enjoy 'original' her the way she came into the world.

Good ideal Lola's Mom because chrome can get ugly over time also (chip, pitted & rust) and you are not going to rechrome wheels for that price :rocker:

I guess everything is more expensive out west. :chuckle:chuckle I had to have three wheels repaired on Supa's SHO because of 'curb rash' and is was 180.00 for all three. Plus he drove up in his 'mobile office' truck and did them at my office.

Until she can show me, she won't do it again< I won't be getting her chrome wheels!! :lol::lol:

I guess everything is more expensive out west. :chuckle:chuckle I had to have three wheels repaired on Supa's SHO because of 'curb rash' and is was 180.00 for all three. Plus he drove up in his 'mobile office' truck and did them at my office.

Until she can show me, she won't do it again< I won't be getting her chrome wheels!! :lol::lol:

I was in line at a fast food place .... and rolled forward when a big ol' 4X let off of his brake behind me .... he would have rolled into Lola's trunk .... I should have let him .... ;) Anyway - maybe I just need to look into finding someone like you found ... The guy who looked at it said he see's this same damage all of the time done inside car washes ...

If you have seen the SHO, you would have thought George or Bruce had been driving it!:laugh::laugh:

Wow Cubby, your wife and your friends are rough on the wheels of your cars! :chuckle

If your gonna get the rim repolished don't they have to take the tire off? If they don't how will they reclear the rim to match the others? Thought theirs a place called rim exchange in Cali. That will exchange your rims with chrome ones for est. 600.00. Chrome is easier to maintain doesn't pit if you clean and wax and IMO looks better. Good way to change it up alittle. My stock clear coat has little peel marks in the corners of some of the spokes and I think it looks terrible (only 8,000 on her). Waiting till I burn up the tires I will b getting some new rims and tires by fall.

If your gonna get the rim repolished don't they have to take the tire off? If they don't how will they reclear the rim to match the others? Thought theirs a place called rim exchange in Cali. That will exchange your rims with chrome ones for est. 600.00. Chrome is easier to maintain doesn't pit if you clean and wax and IMO looks better. Good way to change it up alittle. My stock clear coat has little peel marks in the corners of some of the spokes and I think it looks terrible (only 8,000 on her). Waiting till I burn up the tires I will b getting some new rims and tires by fall.
Yes .... they do need to take the wheels off - and yes, there is a place called LA Tires about 2 hours from here that does exchange the rims ... we actually at one time had made an appointment to go up there and buy a set of chrome ... but then we didn't ..... I think we decided that we would take one more KY trip with the alums and then put them on - because tires get beat to Hell-o on some of the roads -- especially those in Oklahoma .... but then we just didn't ...and now I'm glad because if I had done this to a chrome wheel I would be :pukeface:. I agree ... chrome wheels are beeeeuuuteeeful .....

It is battery driven ... uses 6 of them ... it is a 36 volt. EZGo ...We did not purchase this new - when we went looking for a 'sports car' (when we bought Lola), our local Ford dealer had this on their lot .... a guy had left it for consignment - it was truly his 'golf' cart .... the grandkids are the drivers now ... This one was made at a place in Palm Springs ... our neighbors have one that is a little MB .... they look very cool out on the streets of our little community :) Glad you like it ... we do too!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom