Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Roof oil

joman

My XLR/V(s)
2006 Red XLR
how much oil does the top reservoir hold??? My car is in the shop( to get a hose replaced) I find out this morning they did not order any oil for the top! I was able to find 500ml at a dealership in western canada. Will that be enough to top it up???
Thanks Jim.
p.s. is there any replacement oil I can use??

It's really light hydraulic oil. One container of p/n 89022748/30579887 is 500 ml and should be enough to completely fill the system which you will not have to do so you should have some left over. Do not substitute anything else unless you want to risk some very expensive repairs down the road. Actually it looks a bit like power sterring fluid, but I wouldn't take a chance with it.

how much oil does the top reservoir hold??? My car is in the shop( to get a hose replaced) I find out this morning they did not order any oil for the top! I was able to find 500ml at a dealership in western canada. Will that be enough to top it up???
Thanks Jim.
p.s. is there any replacement oil I can use??

I had to have the hoses replaced last May... I bought the oil and hoses and had them replaced in Colorado Springs on the way to San Antonio last year. I think I have most of the 500ml left in the bottle; hardly took any to top off the reservoir. Can't believe the dealership forgot the oil...:pat:

Open the trunk and pull back the carpet on the drivers side corner right next to the bumper. There will be a plastic piece that is removable (It's just laying on top of the pump). You can then see the pump reservoir with the min and max markings on it set down in the well behind the rear tire.

Open the trunk and pull back the carpet on the drivers side corner right next to the bumper. There will be a plastic piece that is removable (It's just laying on top of the pump). You can then see the pump reservoir with the min and max markings on it set down in the well behind the rear tire.

Is that the same cover where the mild to wild module is attached??
Thanks, I will look at mine tomorrow am. How about the hoses, are they readily viewable to check whether they are at risk of chafing etc. ???

Thanks,
Rusty

Yes the pump sits right next to the exhaust control module. The roof control module is also located there. Someone posted earlier on where to inspect the hoses for crimping. I'm not sure if it was on this forum or another.

Yes the pump sits right next to the exhaust control module. The roof control module is also located there. Someone posted earlier on where to inspect the hoses for crimping. I'm not sure if it was on this forum or another.

Thanks, Anchorage..............ha Just a guess Can't really use an xlr anywhere else there...... At least in the '50's when I left there.

I'll just check with the local Caddy dlr and see whether they can check it out for me....

Rusty

Is that the same cover where the mild to wild module is attached??
Thanks, I will look at mine tomorrow am. How about the hoses, are they readily viewable to check whether they are at risk of chafing etc. ???

Thanks,
Rusty

The hoses are on the right (passenger) side of the roof. The weak area is where the hoses bend when the roof goes up or down at the point where the roof meets the rear side panel, right above the rear quarter window. You can just barely see the hoses under the headliner at this point. There is a spring that the hoses run through to supposedly help the hoses not to kink.

The hoses are on the right (passenger) side of the roof. The weak area is where the hoses bend when the roof goes up or down at the point where the roof meets the rear side panel, right above the rear quarter window. You can just barely see the hoses under the headliner at this point. There is a spring that the hoses run through to supposedly help the hoses not to kink.

Got it! Thanks, Rod. Just looked at mine, and for sure they are crimped at that spot. Don't know what I could do about it though. So far, so good.

Took mine into the dealer Monday. Roof would not open. Asked them to check the hoses also. They said they just finished replacing the hoses on another XLR because they were crimped. Also replaced a burned headlight and are looking at an oil leak. They gave me a brand new (7 mi on odometer) CTS to drive while they are working on it. Warranty will be up in 600 miles, but I have CPO for another two years.

Got it! Thanks, Rod. Just looked at mine, and for sure they are crimped at that spot. Don't know what I could do about it though. So far, so good.

If it's crimped and your XLR is still service under warranty, I would talk to the department and see if they will replaced it even though it's not leaking yet. Trust me, if it's crimped, it WILL leak.

If it's crimped and your XLR is still service under warranty, I would talk to the department and see if they will replaced it even though it's not leaking yet. Trust me, if it's crimped, it WILL leak.

While the spring clad hose becomes pretty tight where it makes the bend around the joint, it seems to remain intact. As the mechanizm bends the joint, it tightens the hose so it is almost impossible to move it laterally. It seems, observing the process, that if there were much more "slack" in the hose, it would pinch or otherwise interfere elsewhere when the top is latched in place. Just seems a bad design.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom