Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Run Flat Tires

Doug-J

My XLR/V(s)
2006 Base Light Platinum
What has been the experience of owners that have had a flat on the road. How far did you drive, damage to the tire?, were you able to get the tire repaired or did you have to buy a new one. Thanks for you replies. Doug-J

I haven't had a flat on the highway while driving, only when I've went to the car and found my TPMS tells me I have a flat; this has happened twice. I've then driven to the tire shop and had each flat repaired; I've had no problems with the tires even though the manufacturers say not to repair a run flat tire. I continue to drive at highway speeds - around 85 - with no problems whatsoever. Since the flat repairs, I've probably put on 10-12000 miles. I just know that when I go to purchase a new set of tires, they WILL BE run-flats...
I believe most manufacturers say to drive no faster than 50 for 50 miles or so on a flat run flat tire. I would imagine that you could drive slower for more miles as well. Mine are Goodyears.

Two flats

I have had two flats with the X in the almost 8 years I have owned it. First one I had a puncture by a 3/8 bolt at about 70 miles an hour.. Never felt it. DIC told me. I pulled over on the next freeway exit and sure enough bolt was sticking out of the tread. I left it in drove slowly about 5 miles to my dealer. Unfortunately no tire in stock so had to wait over night.

Next one just a roofing nail while driving on surface streets. Drove to Michellin dealer. They repaired the tire and I drove another 15,000 on it.

Run Flat

Thanks for your replies. Taking an extended trip in June and I don't like suprises,
. Doug=J

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back