Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

S.O.S. - Shock and Awe!

Dale&Phil

Account Suspended
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Neiman Marcus Edition XLR
I will be very happy to have any of you with experience on these issues give me your opinions, ASAP. Just bought, a couple of weeks ago, a 2004 Neiman Marcus Edition XLR from a guy near Chicago who seemed to have pampered the car, and specified that he garaged it every winter. He was the original owner and had put only 21,600 miles on it. Now that it is home in California, I am having an independent mechanic with a good reputation (and no consumer complaints registered) go over it. To my surprise he says that all four shocks are "blown out" and need to be replaced. With such low mileage car, should I be suspicious? Or can that really happen at any mileage? His estimate to replace all four is approximately $3,500. What do you all think? THANKS!

Remember that car is at least 14 years old. That means those shocks are 14 years old, and with those low miles, the seals may have just given up the ghost. It's just as bad for a car to sit for long periods of time. The last time I looked, Amazon was selling those shocks for around $450 each. That said, I'd take the car to another shop just for a second opinion, unless you can get up under the car yourself and check for leaks around the seals.

Thank you!

Remember that car is at least 14 years old. That means those shocks are 14 years old, and with those low miles, the seals may have just given up the ghost. It's just as bad for a car to sit for long periods of time. The last time I looked, Amazon was selling those shocks for around $450 each. That said, I'd take the car to another shop just for a second opinion, unless you can get up under the car yourself and check for leaks around the seals.

Thanks very much. Your wise advice helps and I will follow it!

I will be very happy to have any of you with experience on these issues give me your opinions, ASAP. Just bought, a couple of weeks ago, a 2004 Neiman Marcus Edition XLR from a guy near Chicago who seemed to have pampered the car, and specified that he garaged it every winter. He was the original owner and had put only 21,600 miles on it. Now that it is home in California, I am having an independent mechanic with a good reputation (and no consumer complaints registered) go over it. To my surprise he says that all four shocks are "blown out" and need to be replaced. With such low mileage car, should I be suspicious? Or can that really happen at any mileage? His estimate to replace all four is approximately $3,500. What do you all think? THANKS!

Mine is going the same way. It seems to be age as much as anything. I'll be fitting new shocks all round soon.

Shocks seem to be one of the first things to go, even if you have no other problems with the vehicle. Whether your drive the car daily or not, as stated it is 14 years old+, and things are go to need replacing.

You also need to realize, the first XLR's were basically test beds for the next generation of Corvettes, so anything that happened was just information for the the next gen C6. If you're going to keep your XLR, my suggestion is to stock up on parts while you can. That's the only way you'll be able to keep it on the road!

Yep. It happens

Yeah, the same thing happened to mine. While the local Caddy dealer could get the replacements for me, I saved about $1500 by finding and buying them off Amazon.

I believe Rock Auto is a sponsor on this site and there should be discounts. Look on retailmenot.com and see if they have any online coupons.
2004 CADILLAC XLR 4.6L V8 Shock Absorber | RockAuto
Look under suspension.
afdcd9baa5df650c44daab16bb651f6d.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics