Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

scared

Hey

Then you are not enjoying it. I'm driving mine as a daily driver, and will deal with the "what if's " when they pop up. Not saving it for the future. Drive it sparingly and still that "driver" could run into you. Pats wear out, yes but they are out there.

These are robust cars really, and they were designed to be driven. Examples are all over of plus 100,000 miles cars and there are a few plus 200,000, examples out there. Just maintain it and don't worry about the scarcity of parts. You could drive it sparingly and "that" driver could still get it.

Enjoy your ride

Bill

Thanks. I think you're right.
I know from past experience, someone can hit you on that one small Sunday joy ride.
Just was afraid to put the top up and down for a short ride because of all the parts I see moving.
Also love shifting it manually....hope that's alright for it as well.

My not-a-mechanic, not-an-expert opinion on operating the top is running it up & down is good for it, keeps the hydraulics flowing, everything lubed up, etc. I generally think it’s bad for mechanical things to sit unused.

makes it hard to have fun with them for sure. Have to agree on the top. It basically fails when it gets wet. Just keep the area dry, make sure you don't open the trunk In the pouring rains so the water runs right into the electronics. Just read of one guy that drove his to church and a pickup backed into this headlight and cracked the fender. Totaled it. So its a toss up if you bought it to enjoy or to have an investment. I don't see investment in them unless you get a steal and it is a v or one with miles in the teens.

I agree...I've had mine only for a month or so, and reading this forum has made me a little nervous to drive it, especially at speed on the highway, for fear that a rock will crack my headlight....Oh well, If that's the least of my problems, I guess thats not too bad

I have been on the fence with this issue since I brought my baby home 2 years ago...Bought her not as a daily drive but as a second car for cruising around..Since experiencing first hand the difficulty and expense of obtaining parts, it definately altered my thoughts of how, when and where I take her..
My Wife loves the experience every time of being driven in her, but she is terrified of the other guy on the road...jealous people when parked and just a possessive craziness about things out of our control....
If I felt that way..She would never leave the garage and I don't want the enjoyment of just saying I own an XLR..I want to experience what was meant to be experienced with these incredible machines...I'm hoping off the fence
I am not getting any younger,..don't know what tomorrow will bring ..so HOF XLR-V...X-Pel your lights...do whatever you can do that you think you can control.. .take a deep breath , and hopefully get out there and enjoy the top down and whatever road you are on..

Last edited:
If you bought the car as an 'investment',,,you most likely will be disappointed.

If you are worried about a fender bender, mechanical issues, electrical issues, and/or future parts availability....probably best to sell the car now and let some other person enjoy its use. Many prospective buyers out there who would like to own one of these beautiful cars!

Life is too short to be a worry-wart............

Sometimes too much information lowers our confidence level, giving us opportunities to over-think what could or might happen. I try to manage and control the fundamentals. This forum helps me sort things out and prioritize what keeps the car running well!

I have been on the fence with this issue since I brought my baby home 2 years ago...Bought her not as a daily drive but as a second car for cruising around..Since experiencing first hand the difficulty and expense of obtaining parts, it definately altered my thoughts of how, when and where I take her..
My Wife loves the experience every time of being driven in her, but she is terrified of the other guy on the road...jealous people when parked and just a possessive craziness about things out of our control....
If I felt that way..She would never leave the garage and I don't want the enjoyment of just saying I own an XLR..I want to experience what was meant to be experienced with these incredible machines...I'm hoping off the fence
I am not getting any younger,..don't know what tomorrow will bring ..so HOF XLR-V...X-Pel your lights...do whatever you can do that you think you can control.. .take a deep breath , and hopefully get out there and enjoy the top down and whatever road you are on..

X-Pel on the lights is a GREAT idea (wish I'd have thought of that !)....I will definitely do that soon, but I have been driving it, love the car.

XPEL is great stuff. Had it on a prior daily driver, have it on my base XLR, waiting to put it on my ATS. Basically I’ve put that on everything that either didn’t get clear bra or headlight protection didn’t come with the clear bra I purchased.

I got mine from Autosportcatalog.com, & my talented husband put it on for me. It is a DIY item. Key trick: put it on on a sunny day & let it lay out in the sun for a while (in the packaging) before putting it on. Makes it easier to work with. Also follow their instructions on keeping your fingers & everything wet with the solution.

Pure Zen, thanks for this link. :thumbsup Here in The Rocky Mountains (emphasis on "Rocky" : ), cannot believe until now this did not occur to me. Duh. :rolleyes: So far mine are not pitted, but intend to install this now, ASAP, on the lenses. --- As far as use of the vehicle, and being afraid to drive it as a result of possible damage, yes, I do occasionally think about this, but have determined that I will drive and enjoy it, and 'IF' something untoward should occur, then will deal with it at that time.

Full use vehicles, here, typically require a windshield replacement approximately every two to four years because of all the rocks and gravel and stuff on the roads, (stay far back and away from Semis) and the front paint becomes chipped and pitted. So with The XLR will drive it occasionally, and if it gets bad enough, will repaint if necessary.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry