Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

"Service Ride Control" and top not working

Awesome ... Many thx dfuser !!! ... way to "get er done !" What's the name/location of your dealer? If mine still cant find the parts, I'll refer them.

BTW, which 2 modules were you referring to and what did they charge for the parts and separately,how much for the labor ... and based on how many labor hours if I may ask?

Apparently, there is a wide range of latitude ... I got one quote of 10 to 15 labor hours! Despite what the Service Writer Handbook may say, that seems crazy high for 2 or 3 modules that are basically "plug and play" including the Pump kit which are all located in the same poorly designed module bay with limited drainage ... just sayin' ! I'm no rocket scientist ... but I play one on TV !

p.s. pls be aware of the latent design flaw in the wheel well welds which causes water to clandestinely leak into the module bay even when the main trunk seal is ok. (and the suggested fix per TSB 05-08-57-005B). Also, from other posts in this thread, if you park on an incline, make sure the nose is pointed downhill until you get the TSB fix !

thx again,
Mister D

The 2 modules I replaced were the Body Control Module and Top module of which got wet. They will need to be reprogrammed withe a tech II. Took me about 10 min to replace both in the wheel well. However now my pump is also bad. The 15 hrs you got quoted includes replacing the man harness which is not available any way.

My dealer is in Georgetown, TX Don Hewlitt.

Many thx ... in case you hadnt heard, here's some xlnt info for your pump. A "better than new" reconditioned pump will run you $550 plus $20 shipping and with a 3 year warranty (vs $1795 at the dealer) ... go to Top Hydralics Inc in Oregon:

Top Hydraulics, Inc

My I suggest you read thru their website and then call them I think you'll be impressed.

I too need the Body control and Top Modules and the pump. GRRRRR!

Mister D

Many thx ... in case you hadnt heard, here's some xlnt info for your pump. A "better than new" reconditioned pump will run you $550 plus $20 shipping and with a 3 year warranty (vs $1795 at the dealer) ... go to Top Hydralics Inc in Oregon:

Top Hydraulics, Inc

My I suggest you read thru their website and then call them I think you'll be impressed.

I too need the Body control and Top Modules and the pump. GRRRRR!

Mister D

Yep I was aware and ordered one. Just need to make time to install. Thx again!

The 2 modules I replaced were the Body Control Module and Top module of which got wet. They will need to be reprogrammed withe a tech II. Took me about 10 min to replace both in the wheel well. However now my pump is also bad. The 15 hrs you got quoted includes replacing the man harness which is not available any way.

HERE'S A FOLLOW UP QUESTION RE: THE NUMBER OF LABOR HOURS FOR AN '04 XLR:
I dont mind paying the "Fair" amount for dealer labor but I need a good way to verify what's "Fair". Can anyone share with me the number of labor hours "suggested" in the Cadillac XLR Service Writer's Guide (or whatever they call it) for the replacement (and programming if necessary) of modules in the module bay located in the truck as follows:

- LABOR TO REPLACE Ride Control Module 10348979:
- LABOR TO REPLACE Trunk Module 25840734:
- LABOR TO REPLACE Pump Kit 88958028:
- LABOR FOR DIAGNOSIS of the above 3 items if not already included above:

Thx a million,
Mister D

Help me understand

My local dealer got me both modules within 2 days. All they needed was my vin and I was on a priority list. That was last week BTW.
ok, I have read a dozen post that say you cannot get the ride control module any longer from GM.Yet you got one. Several post showed a couple of new ones on ebay for 1300$ area which would indicate they are no longer available new from GM for the list of around 700 that they used to be. SO how much did a new one from GM cost? The dealer from Texas that you got one from said they are not available . MAybe we are talking about two different items? 10348979 part number ?

Just to avoid any confusion, the BCM is located in the passenger side footwell. The Folding Top Control module and Suspension Control module are located in the left/rear of the trunk adjacent to the folding top hydraulic pump. Both modules commonly fry when the water level in the compartment submerges their electrical connectors due to a plugged drain line.

CC

I had my GM parts guy do a nationwide search yesterday and he came up with zero new ride control modules available in the GM system. When I got my XLR earlier this year I had him do a search and he came up with none available then. If the dealership found a "new" module it had to be from someone selling it on eBay or something. So now I am curious "dfuser", what is the price the dealership charged you on the invoice for part #10348979?

Last edited:
Here are 2 on eBay right now 11/10/17, I contacted both of the sellers and they did not get them recently from the dealership even though they are listed as new.

U4eererntitled.jpg

Last edited:
Thx guys.... this is very informative. I looked at the 2 items on ebay and noticed one photo (from EASTCONC) shows a pin advertising the company logo for the salvage yard known as ... EastCoastUsedParts.net.

You never quite know what to believe when you see and read and hear things these days but as part of my google search, I also found this YELP link for them that I think you will enjoy ... or not:

East Coast Used Parts - Auto Parts & Supplies - Reviews - Clarendon, NC - Phone Number - Yelp

p.s. Can anyone check the LABOR OPS GUIDE to help me answer the following questions for an '04 XLR? Thx:
- LABOR TO program and REPLACE Ride Control Module 10348979 ?
- LABOR TO program and REPLACE Trunk Module 25840734 ?
- LABOR TO program and REPLACE Pump Kit 88958028 ?
- LABOR FOR DIAGNOSIS of the above 3 items if not already included above?

Mister D

I replaced both modules in my trunk in about 30 minutes. I would think the hydro pump would be another 30-60 minutes in replacement, just take the manifold off the pump, disconnect wiring, put new orings on pump manifold and reassemble. So i would think 1-2 hours for all 3. None of these items require a reprogram the modules are plug and play. Just cycle the top to remove any air introduced into the system. You may have to get hooked up to clear any lingering codes though.

Last edited:
Many thx ... BTW, I love your Neiman Marcus Edition ! Boo-yaw !

I had my GM parts guy do a nationwide search yesterday and he came up with zero new ride control modules available in the GM system. When I got my XLR earlier this year I had him do a search and he came up with none available then. If the dealership found a "new" module it had to be from someone selling it on eBay or something. So now I am curious "dfuser", what is the price the dealership charged you on the invoice for part #10348979?

That is the module I got 4 weeks ago. I can only assume they now have it turned off in the system.

Your chances of obtaining accurate GM labor times are more likely if you contact a dealership and ask for a written estimate. Module replacement is fast and easy. The hydraulic pump is more involved. The FTC module requires a ten-minute re-programming. GM will probably estimate higher labor amounts.

Last edited:
Many thx ... I guess I will have to call a different dealer ... I just want to verify from an independent source that MY dealer is not quoting me more labor hours than what the good book says (Labor Ops Guide) ... i.e. MY dealer quoted me 11 hours to replace 2 plug and play modules and the pump ... sounds very, very high to me ... just sayin' !!! BTW, I was told yesterday by Cadillac Customer Relations that the "Labor Ops Guide" lists labor hours on a worst case basis, i.e "assuming the tech encounters 'difficulty' with the job."

Mister D

Programming or Reset?

Your chances of obtaining accurate GM labor times are more likely if you contact a dealership and ask for a written estimate. Module replacement is fast and easy. The hydraulic pump is more involved. The FTC module requires a ten-minute re-programming. GM will probably estimate higher labor amounts.

Hey C3, its been a long time. :) I just replaced my 2 modules and the ride control 'just works' so that is great. The hard top module however doesn't respond. Prior to replacing it, it did just continue to run so I disconnected it and didn't mess with it until I got the new module. If I understand a couple places I have read, I will need to take it in to the dealer to get programmed? Is this something I can do myself or buy a computer or something to do? I did check all my fuses, connections, and even unplugged the battery for over an hour. Thanks for your help in advance.

Charles in Olympia WA

Thx guys.... this is very informative. I looked at the 2 items on ebay and noticed one photo (from EASTCONC) shows a pin advertising the company logo for the salvage yard known as ... EastCoastUsedParts.net.

You never quite know what to believe when you see and read and hear things these days but as part of my google search, I also found this YELP link for them that I think you will enjoy ... or not:

East Coast Used Parts - Auto Parts & Supplies - Reviews - Clarendon, NC - Phone Number - Yelp

p.s. Can anyone check the LABOR OPS GUIDE to help me answer the following questions for an '04 XLR? Thx:
- LABOR TO program and REPLACE Ride Control Module 10348979 ?
- LABOR TO program and REPLACE Trunk Module 25840734 ?
- LABOR TO program and REPLACE Pump Kit 88958028 ?
- LABOR FOR DIAGNOSIS of the above 3 items if not already included above?

Mister D
That may be the guy that lists totaled cars on ebay and everyone was "just a light hit". However if you search e vin you can find photos of the cars and they have been killed. He does have new parts from time to time and sets the mark for all others to try and reach. The Yelp review pretty much sums it up and the same cars getting listed over and over again

Hey C3, its been a long time. :) I just replaced my 2 modules and the ride control 'just works' so that is great. The hard top module however doesn't respond. Prior to replacing it, it did just continue to run so I disconnected it and didn't mess with it until I got the new module. If I understand a couple places I have read, I will need to take it in to the dealer to get programmed? Is this something I can do myself or buy a computer or something to do? I did check all my fuses, connections, and even unplugged the battery for over an hour. Thanks for your help in advance.

Charles in Olympia WA

Greeting Charles!

Man, I miss living in Poulsbo!! I'll return to WA in a few years.

The Folding Top Control module requires programming via a Tech 2 or similar scan tool. The programming doesn't take long at all, so it's a lot cheaper to have a dealer perform the labor than buying a scan tool that you may not get a lot of use out of--depending on the reliability of your vehicle.

CC :wave:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back