Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

"Service Ride Control" ??

BJahn

My XLR/V(s)
2005 Red
We just brought our 05 home after dealer had it for five months for top module issues. It also went in with dash display "Service Ride Control" message...it's still there. A return call to the dealership claims the module to correct this message is unavailable but it doesn't affect the ride at all so don't be concerned. I really don't like seeing that message all the time...is there a fix?

no fix except buying a module. you can sometimes clean the plastic cover in the bumper and wipe the cover of them off. That's about it.

Service Ride Control again

When I originally posted this question regarding the "on all the time" message about the Ride Control, Long, Tall Sally suggested I clean the plastic cover. Can you please tell me where the cover is that might solve the problem? thank you.

its in the lower grill on the left side. It should snap out (when its warm) the back side can get dirt on it and sometimes can be the problem. I would drive it with if off a day or two and make sure the wiring going into the unit is firmly in place . I have a couple units if that does not fix it.

This is the kind of advice you get from someone who sells parts and knows next-to-nothing about the vehicle architecture.

The cover in the front of the bumper is for the Adaptive Cruise Control, which if a failure is detected would give the "SERVICE RADAR CRUISE".

The "SERVICE RIDE CONTROL" message is completely different, and relates to the Suspension Control Module detecting a fault. Neither module (Adaptive Cruise or Suspension Control) is available from GM.

CCC

that was a mistake In my reading to fast .I was helping someone else with a new module for their suspension error and read this one incorrectly thinking it was the cruise module .. It is my mistake . I do know the difference as I have repaired the cruise modules and now have the suspension module also repaired . plus a good supply of both of them. Since you do not want me to sell anything Mr Clark I will leave it up to you to advise where to buy parts .I know you have a lot of knowledge about electronics but I am yet to see you supply actual parts to people.
I will just keep mine or list them only on ebay where they bring really good money instead of selling them much cheaper to forum members. I also have top control modules new from GM that others are asking 1500-2400 on ebay What parts do you have to help others with again?
I apologize for my quick reading and misinformation BJahn . I sent you a pm Bjahn to tell you the order of a few things to check before needing a module .I have a work around on the module when bad on 04 and 05 I can share that will allow you to run stock corvette shocks now even if your modules are bad. I also have a harness in works that will allow use of the 06-09 Modules that are readily available as they interchange with the corvette. The parts are very inexpensive but labor to reroute the harness will take some time and be expensive if you cannot do it yourself.

Last edited:
Ok, so just so I'm clear, the "SERVICE RIDE CONTROL" is not related to top failure? I had the dreaded failed flooded trunk over the summer and thought the service ride control message was gone, but came back on again now that weather is cold-and still haven't fixed the top issue as the FTCM was backordered.
Are these two separate issues? Are they BOTH related to the flooded trunk?

I’m thinking both of these modules are in the rear well, thus the flooding has killed both of them.

they are both located In the same area in the trunk. On the left side they can get wet with a trunk leak on the upper corner near the front door and also from the bottom up a. Also when you open the trunk when wet the water runs right down into the module area. That's why Someone suggested and I always keep a towel on the floor in that area. Just touch it and if ever damp start looking for the leak. when one module gets wet its pretty sure the other will also. neither are mounted in anything near water proof. They are not related electrically but are because when one goes the other usually also goes.

if you have a ride control light on, the first thing to check is if the wiring harness under the dash has had the new comb connector installed. The above was an answer to the adaptive cruise. If its not working then the front cover needs to be cleaned and yes the 05 has that .If you have a service suspension light and a do not exceed 80mph that is a sign the suspension module in the trunk is wet and needs replacement.

if you have a ride control light on, the first thing to check is if the wiring harness under the dash has had the new comb connector installed. The above was an answer to the adaptive cruise. If its not working then the front cover needs to be cleaned and yes the 05 has that .If you have a service suspension light and a do not exceed 80mph that is a sign the suspension module in the trunk is wet and needs replacement.
Thanks for that info! My problems all stem from Check Gas Cap and then Check Engine Light that code reads Large exhaust leak! I have replaced the gas Cap twice! The Service Ride Control just started after I went thru a Rough construction repair area! This is what I need a Good Corvette Man for! Thanks again for the advise!

We just brought our 05 home after dealer had it for five months for top module issues. It also went in with dash display "Service Ride Control" message...it's still there. A return call to the dealership claims the module to correct this message is unavailable but it doesn't affect the ride at all so don't be concerned. I really don't like seeing that message all the time...is there a fix?
That is why I am looking for an Independent Servicer in the Ocala?/Gainesville Fl. Area! Any Corvette Mech's out there?

its in the lower grill on the left side. It should snap out (when its warm) the back side can get dirt on it and sometimes can be the problem. I would drive it with if off a day or two and make sure the wiring going into the unit is firmly in place . I have a couple units if that does not fix it.
Is this Lens you speak of in the grill the large Plexiglass one that is 10 in. X 5 In.?

yes on the lens. Its behind that plexiglass cover. that cover snaps of and the square module behind it can be dirty plus the plexi needs both sides cleaned .Never replaced or heard of a gas cap being needed. I have seen codes when they are left loose . SO that could be bad cats which is a known problem or several other things that any basic mechanic may get right the first time or any of them, even a really good one may replace the wrong parts before finding the right ones. Thats a tough one. As far as the service ride control , I think it was a failure on the vette also. It usually goes on when the steering column is moved up or down. that may turn it off btu you still should check the vin thru a dealer to see if the recall was ever done. Too late to get it done for free but at least if it has not been done you will know. I will be passing thru in a few weeks going to PuntaGorda I can scan it for you if you have not had it repaired and do the wire repair. its simple.

yes on the lens. Its behind that plexiglass cover. that cover snaps of and the square module behind it can be dirty plus the plexi needs both sides cleaned .Never replaced or heard of a gas cap being needed. I have seen codes when they are left loose . SO that could be bad cats which is a known problem or several other things that any basic mechanic may get right the first time or any of them, even a really good one may replace the wrong parts before finding the right ones. Thats a tough one. As far as the service ride control , I think it was a failure on the vette also. It usually goes on when the steering column is moved up or down. that may turn it off btu you still should check the vin thru a dealer to see if the recall was ever done. Too late to get it done for free but at least if it has not been done you will know. I will be passing thru in a few weeks going to PuntaGorda I can scan it for you if you have not had it repaired and do the wire repair. its simple.

Thanks again for the info! I Removed the lens and cleaned it and the box behind it! The lens did have some dust and fine gravel in it! I test drove the car on different types of road about 50 miles in all and the Service R C Message came back several times. I also moved the Tele Steering up down and side ways just for drill! My gas cap message and check engine light has not returned so maybe the new gas cap helped! Have a nice Father's day!

There is a Gm bullenton on this issue in order to check to see if it is install you will need to remove the knee bolister and with a flash light look at the wiring connector located on the stearing wheel position sensor.

Okay there is quite a bit of information on the suspension module but I need to know some particulars in example what should be the working volts as tech2 records. I get no dic's and voltage varies somewhere in the 3.4 volts at all 4 wheels and will change slightly when I sit on the trunk and bounce. The system seems very firm and yes with the mileage should replace the shocks yet in inspection see no leakage. I am a little apprehensive to convert to bilstiens due to the 05 module. Spending $900+ and then find that the service ride control appears and will still need to add more money to correct the problem. As the car parked on a level servic I get very little movement at all when testing all 4 corners. And would seem the module is working based on no DIC'S but the firm ride make me question As someone stated "I have not idea of what a new XLR ride was"or should be.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom