Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! "Service Traction Control" message

Rule62

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Sable Black XLR/V
So I'm getting a sporadic fault in the DIC displaying "Service Traction Control" along with "TC" telltale lamp. I notice it only happens when I'm decelerating from under 50mph to a stop and it's accompanied by a very audible "clunk" between 2nd and 1st.

The fault seems to disappear within 5 miles then may or may not return for the rest of the day. I do not own a Tech II device and my little OBDII scan/reset tool is useless here.

Has this type of fault occurred to anyone else? :dunno:

The Traction Control Indicator is controlled from the Electronic Brake Control Module with inputs from the wheel speed sensors.

I recommend having your dealer run a diagnostic scan to determine if any DTCs are set. You may have a second issue with the Transmission, but the only way to tell for sure is have the system scanned.

CC :wave:

The Traction Control Indicator is controlled from the Electronic Brake Control Module with inputs from the wheel speed sensors.

I recommend having your dealer run a diagnostic scan to determine if any DTCs are set. You may have a second issue with the Transmission, but the only way to tell for sure is have the system scanned.

CC :wave:

Well, it's off to the dealer tomorrow morning. I'm having the 100K service done (new plugs, transmission, coolant, intercooler, rear diff, fuel filter, etc.) now since the car's 8 year old and I have no record of anything being done.

I'm going to have them diagnose and repair the Traction Control issue as well. So very glad I got a really good, $0 deductible warranty with this thing.

Will follow up when I get it back. :cool:

Last edited:
I too have had the DIC readout traction control light go on, but I know what that is. Being an old race car driver which means I'm a two footed driver, I found it would go on if I touched the brake while still being on the accelerator even a wee bit. I also have that clunk which when I brought it in for service, it mysteriously went away but comes back periodically. That's all I got:xmas:

So I'm getting a sporadic fault in the DIC displaying "Service Traction Control" along with "TC" telltale lamp. I notice it only happens when I'm decelerating from under 50mph to a stop and it's accompanied by a very audible "clunk" between 2nd and 1st.

The fault seems to disappear within 5 miles then may or may not return for the rest of the day. I do not own a Tech II device and my little OBDII scan/reset tool is useless here.

Has this type of fault occurred to anyone else? :dunno:

I too have had the DIC readout traction control light go on, but I know what that is. Being an old race car driver which means I'm a two footed driver, I found it would go on if I touched the brake while still being on the accelerator even a wee bit. I also have that clunk which when I brought it in for service, it mysteriously went away but comes back periodically. That's all I got:xmas:

Thanks Standby. Got my car back from the dealer after a week. I had a vacuum leak at the exhaust solenoid that was improperly capped when my Corsa system was installed. They couldn't get the Traction Control issue to repeat so they assumed it was connected. Not so, of course. So It's back to the dealer the first of the year and this time, I'll drive the tech and his scanner around until it trips. :(

I don't doubt that applying the gas and brake together could create that fault, but my left foot is planted firmly into the dead pedal and my right foot can only be in one place at a time. But I'll stay mindful of that in the future just in case. :thumbsup

Regarding Traction Control issue.

Thanks Standby. Got my car back from the dealer after a week. I had a vacuum leak at the exhaust solenoid that was improperly capped when my Corsa system was installed. They couldn't get the Traction Control issue to repeat so they assumed it was connected. Not so, of course. So It's back to the dealer the first of the year and this time, I'll drive the tech and his scanner around until it trips. :(

I don't doubt that applying the gas and brake together could create that fault, but my left foot is planted firmly into the dead pedal and my right foot can only be in one place at a time. But I'll stay mindful of that in the future just in case. :thumbsup

I only once had that issue. I think the computer temporarily lost it's mind. All I did to fix the erroneous Stability Track Needs Service message was to turn the stability track off, put it into performance mode, do a hole shot and return it back to stability control on again position and the issue went away and never came back.

Weird things also erroneously display occasionally, like ENGINE HOT - A/C OFF. The displays comes on even after an overnight cool off. It keeps doing this for the next 6 or 8 times I cold start the car, but then for no reason the display shuts off by its self and everything is fine for another 6-8 months when it happens again!

engine hot-ac off

Had the same problem with my 06 V had a bad connection to the temp sensor at the right rear of the engine, fixed the connector...fixed the problem

Had the same problem with my 06 V had a bad connection to the temp sensor at the right rear of the engine, fixed the connector...fixed the problem

Thanks Rocky. I'll have to check that out. You wouldn't be able to post a picture of it for me, would you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I discovered that the sensor was actually unplugged. Let's see if that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back