Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

She's home!! 2009 XLR-V (pics)

Since this is a modern hand built engine that is factory filled with Mobil 1, most of that does not apply.
I would suggest changing the oil sooner the first time (1,000-1,500 miles). You won't hurt the engine running it hard after it has reached operating temp. It will probably like it.

Have fun!!!

I agree! (Especially the part about having fun and liking to run it hard!!) The point is to not 'baby' the new engine. I believe in "Use it - don't abuse it!!"

Per these tests, ( http://www.amsoil.com/performancetests/g1971/index.aspx ), Amsoil appears to be slightly superior to Mobil 1 in most tests, but provides a significant 18% less wear in the Four Ball Wear test! After a full break-in I would switch to Amsoil to reduce future wear as much as possible.

So, you consider the V engine to be of higher quality?? How about other components of the V package??
:drool:

The V engine is one of the finest engines there is. They build 3-5 of them a day @ the Wixom Build Center in Wixom, MI.(our group visited there in August) along with the LS7 and LS9 (ZO6 and ZR1 Corvettes) and LSA engine for the '09 CTS-V.

The 4.6 is a great engine as well. It is built in Livonia,MI.

The V cars have more robust pieces in them than their base counterparts, like differentials,brakes,cooling systems,transmissions and axles.

Bruce

The V engine is one of the finest engines there is. They build 3-5 of them a day @ the Wixom Build Center in Wixom, MI.(our group visited there in August) along with the LS7 and LS9 (ZO6 and ZR1 Corvettes) and LSA engine for the '09 CTS-V.

The 4.6 is a great engine as well. It is built in Livonia,MI.

The V cars have more robust pieces in them than their base counterparts, like differentials,brakes,cooling systems,transmissions and axles.

Bruce

I agree... You would be hard pressed to find anyone that has had any complaints about the engine. I have not had the privilege of visiting the engine shop, but I have read a lot about it and saw a NAT GEO TV show that filmed at the factory. It was a special on how the Z06 is built and it showed the shop and how they hand build the engines. Pretty impressive!

The V engine is one of the finest engines there is.
Bruce

Thanks, Bruce!

Now, while in the engine compartment, why does what appears to be the same engine provide 469HP in the STS-V, but only 443HP in the XLR-V??

Or, is it really just an "advertised" HP rating to mollify the critics who think that anything over 100HP is "excessive" or "gratuitous"!?!

Even with less HP, (and less weight), Cadillac claims that the XLR-V is o.2 second quicker to 60MPH!

PS: Even the lowly XLR is quicker than my Hemi Magnum!! Maybe the V is indeed excessive! But, as Einstein might have said: "All things are relative!"!
:banghead:

Of course the V is quicker, it's much lighter and as you said earlier in one of your posts. There's only one way to break in an engine like the Northstar and that's just like you said, warm it up and then get mean with it. That's probably why my car was dyno'd at 565 at the fly wheel. I've convince a lot of owners of other cars in my area how quick it is, or as 3D design calls it.................WICKED. We are going to find out when warmer weather comes to SO Cal at the strip.
Thanks, Bruce!

Now, while in the engine compartment, why does what appears to be the same engine provide 469HP in the STS-V, but only 443HP in the XLR-V??

Or, is it really just an "advertised" HP rating to mollify the critics who think that anything over 100HP is "excessive" or "gratuitous"!?!

Even with less HP, (and less weight), Cadillac claims that the XLR-V is o.2 second quicker to 60MPH!

PS: Even the lowly XLR is quicker than my Hemi Magnum!! Maybe the V is indeed excessive! But, as Einstein might have said: "All things are relative!"!

Thanks, Bruce!

Both versions of the XLR perform really well and are a blast to drive! Just ask anyone who owns one.

Both versions of the XLR perform really well and are a blast to drive! Just ask anyone who owns one.

Thank you for the pleasant reply. However, I would have preferred an answer to my primary question: " why does what appears to be the same engine provide 469HP in the STS-V, but only 443HP in the XLR-V?? "! Where did those extra 26 horses go!?! :dunno:

Nice

It's a really nice car. You will enjoy it more than the Vette. It's the only way I could find to make me, a 57 year old turd, to be instantly cool! LOL :)

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom