Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Shifting

Tjxlr

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Black Xlr
Hey all...Question regarding shifting..
My car shifts fine into reverse, neutral and drive...it runs fine in drive.
When I move shifter to the left to manually go through the gears heard it doesn't respond. It acts as if it stays in drive.
No change in gear regardless if I shift up or down.
Any ideas anyone?

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

When you enable Driver Shift Control, does the HUD indicate the current gear?

CC :wave:

When the circuit operates as designed, the shift lever enables Driver Shift Control, sending a signal to the Transmission Control Module, which sends a message to the HUD. Your problem is likely related to the switch the lever activates or the TCM's inability to process the command.

Without any error messages, it's Tech 2 time. The Tech 2 contains a thorough diagnostic routine that checks the signal paths between the TCM and Engine Control Module (ECM.) The Tech 2 can also monitor status to determine if the shift lever is sending the command to the TCM.

CC :wave:

built into the shifter is a switch that tells the transmission it is in manual mode. if the switch is broken nothing happens when you pull the lever to the left, or push it + and -
only fix is to replace the whole shifter.
or take it out and see if you can glue the switch lever or whatever back in place.
mine is not working either.
since i never use the manual mode in any of my other cars , i'm not spending time or money to get this one working...
part is 500+ whole shifter assembly.
theres another thread around here somewhere with part # etc.

another common failure is the grommets on either end of the shift cable,usually its the end by the transmission that desintigrates and falls off, but the end by the shifter also goes bad, or the cable gets bendy and sloppy.
depending when/what needs fixing when my shift cable goes, i may have dealer install new shifter at that point, while everyhting is open anyway...

Last edited:
Thanks..i lean towards the grommets as well...i don't use it either, just dont want a bigger problem to arise...

Tjxlr
If you are shifting ok to the right that pretty much rules out the shift cable problems. I would bet on one of the switches that controls manual (to left). I would start there!!!
V Happy :dunno:

Thanks..i lean towards the grommets as well...i don't use it either, just dont want a bigger problem to arise...

If you're shifting from P to N to D with no play in the shifter, it's not the grommets. I know first hand. The shifter when placed into manual relies on electrical contacts for + or - shifting. No mechanics involved.

I see..Thank you all!..

If you're shifting from P to N to D with no play in the shifter, it's not the grommets. I know first hand. The shifter when placed into manual relies on electrical contacts for + or - shifting. No mechanics involved.
You make perfect sense...i suppose the caddy dealer is my solution..
Thanks!

guys, yes i understand the cable and grommets have nothing to do with the tiptronic activation or shifting +/-
i was implying that maybe when my cable or grommets does go bad, that would be an opportune time to fix the tiptronic.
advising TJ of my plan of when to deal with the tiptronic repair

heres the other thread, btw its DSC not tiptronic, driver shift control
the part # is 15217064, its around $200, i bet install is relatively easy, but may require a dealer to reset, etc.
https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/
Hey...finally looking into getting this repaired ..thanks for input..the part number you gave I'd correct, guess what? All but impossible to find the shifter assembly... Any ideas how to find?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back