Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! 04 Cadillac XLR shifting problems only in manual shift .

XLRAL

My XLR/V(s)
2004 XLR
when putting the gear shifter in manual mode the trans doesn't shift from 1st gear to 2nd gear right away. Sometimes have to shift it 3 -4 times before it goes into the next gear. Hangs up shifting.

Searching previous threads on this topic will yield much information. On both the XLR and Corvette, the plastic grommet that is at the end of the the shifter cable to the transmission linkage is known to fail. Once the grommet is toast, it is a matter of time before the cable will break leaving you unable to shift out of park. Suggest you have someone look at the cable shifter very soon. Several posts about having to flatbed their XLR to get it fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems to me the shifter when it's in DSC mode is controlled electronically and the shift cable itself doesn't move. More than likely the switching system is getting blinky. The plastic grommets on the ends of the shifter cable could be getting wonky which would interfere with the transmission going into proper gear. But once the shifter is put in DSC mode, it's not dependent on the shift cable.

Rex,
My bad. Comment in earlier post about shift cable breaking after shifting into manual. Commented in same post that it was just a coincidence. Everything is electronic once in gear. Thanks for correcting.

Rex,
My bad. Comment in earlier post about shift cable breaking after shifting into manual. Commented in same post that it was just a coincidence. Everything is electronic once in gear. Thanks for correcting.

But you're right, I had to flat bed it to the mechanic's when the grommets on the shift cable went out.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom