Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Skinning the car

Stella

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004xlr
Would like to hear some comments about wrapping the hood and roof of my xenon blue xlr. I saw a chip foose show where they took a xlr and redesigned a lot of the body by putting ground effects I believe a v hood and skinning the roof with stainless. I was told that you can buy the stainless roof but probably a mint. Anyway I was thinking of wrapping the hood, and the roof just between the inner body lines on the roof. If looking from the front of the vehicle the width of the hood lines up with the inner lines on the roof. This is something I am tossing around. I do not want to mess up the paint and it will eliminate any further rock chips. I was told that the skin would come off with no effects to the paint? I wish I could post a picture but their are none.

Wrapping with what... a different color or with the clear stone deflector? I just had my headlights and fog lights done. When I have the time to fix the rock chips on the front, I will probably have the hood and bumper cover done. I haven't had any chips on the roof...:dunno:

Would like to hear some comments about wrapping the hood and roof of my xenon blue xlr. I saw a chip foose show where they took a xlr and redesigned a lot of the body by putting ground effects I believe a v hood and skinning the roof with stainless. I was told that you can buy the stainless roof but probably a mint. Anyway I was thinking of wrapping the hood, and the roof just between the inner body lines on the roof. If looking from the front of the vehicle the width of the hood lines up with the inner lines on the roof. This is something I am tossing around. I do not want to mess up the paint and it will eliminate any further rock chips. I was told that the skin would come off with no effects to the paint? I wish I could post a picture but their are none.

Are you talking about the legendary chip foose? I would -like to know the episode so I can see what they did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The skin is basically a big sticker and you can get them printed to simulate just about any color or design. I was thinking of carbon fiber. I purchased some in the fall and covered the little black triangle on the doors behind your side mirrors. It now looks like carbon fiber instead of the black. Worked well was able to cover ends behind window gaskets so it doesn't look like a sticker was applied "looks real". The wrap actually has a texture to give the effect of the real thing. Wrapping the whole hood and roof would be purely cosmetic. Only advantage is it would cover existing chips and wouldn't get any more. It would definitely change the look of the car.

An XLR owner here in AZ had his Silver totally wrapped in a military Green. Wish I had taken a picture to post on here.

I think I've seen pictures of it, it was done quite a while ago. I didn't care for it that much, not his best work.
If I think of the website I'll post a link.
Bruce

That was easy, thanks Google:
http://www.chipfoose.com/ws_display.asp?filter=Press_Releases_Detail&item_id={8A0F94B1-3CCC-403D-B94E-917A511162E9}

I think I've seen pictures of it, it was done quite a while ago. I didn't care for it that much, not his best work.
If I think of the website I'll post a link.
Bruce

That was easy, thanks Google:
http://www.chipfoose.com/ws_display.asp?filter=Press_Releases_Detail&item_id={8A0F94B1-3CCC-403D-B94E-917A511162E9}

Link doesn't work... says the link is broken:dunno:

I have that episode dvr'd....the dealership Lund Cadillac in Pheonix, AZ that supplied the cars retained the licensing rights to the upgrades shown. Called and emailed them many, many times over the last 3 years to get pricing and availability and no response to date.
:cool:

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Doesn't work for me... wish it did.

be sure to copy and paste the entire link including the http... I tried both ways and without the http it didn't work.

www.chipfoose.com/ws_display.asp?filter=Press_Releases_Detail&item_id={8A0F94B1-3CCC-403D-B94E-917A511162E9 didn't work

http://www.chipfoose.com/ws_display.asp?filter=Press_Releases_Detail&item_id={8A0F94B1-3CCC-403D-B94E-917A511162E9} did work

The show they reworked the xlr is rides. I believe it aired in 04. Surprisingly they didn't do a v probably window sticker shock. Car looks cool IMO could be a different color or combination. If you want to see pics just google chip foose xlr.

be sure to copy and paste the entire link including the http... I tried both ways and without the http it didn't work.

www.chipfoose.com/ws_display.asp?filter=Press_Releases_Detail&item_id={8A0F94B1-3CCC-403D-B94E-917A511162E9 didn't work

http://www.chipfoose.com/ws_display.asp?filter=Press_Releases_Detail&item_id={8A0F94B1-3CCC-403D-B94E-917A511162E9} did work

That didn't work either... :dunno::dunno:

stella said:
The show they reworked the xlr is rides. I believe it aired in 04. Surprisingly they didn't do a v probably window sticker shock. Car looks cool IMO could be a different color or combination. If you want to see pics just google chip foose xlr.

Thanks, Stella. I was able to see the two tone XLR... actually looks rather sharp.

That didn't work either... :dunno::dunno:

Thanks, Stella. I was able to see the two tone XLR... actually looks rather sharp.
I just googled it. Looks nice sema04_xlr.jpgchip foose XLR.jpg

The thing I thought showed alittle of his creativity was how they veneered a piece of stainless on the roof. You really can't see from the pics. Wonder who has that one?

The thing I thought showed alittle of his creativity was how they veneered a piece of stainless on the roof. You really can't see from the pics. Wonder who has that one?

Stainless??? I thought the roof was painted silver like the hood and windshield pillars. That would look sharp; I could only imagine the cost, though...

I wish I could find a link or something to the whole show. It was a good episode and I didn't own the car back then and was interested. Yes the roof is a brushed stainless. I thought they were gonna sell the roof as a aftermarket piece but I've looked around and can't find anything? The reason why I brought the design up was i wanna do the same but instead of the silver and stainless do the carbon fiber wrap. I have the drk. blue and thought of having the hood and roof done which because of the dark color and the carbon fiber being dark it would blend well. Would be suttle. I've seen hundred thousand dollar cars in gumball races with the wraps on so I would think their not scratching any paint. I've placed a big piece on the hood and had it follow the hood line on one side and looked good but? That's why it way down on the list.

I wish I could find a link or something to the whole show. It was a good episode and I didn't own the car back then and was interested. Yes the roof is a brushed stainless. I thought they were gonna sell the roof as a aftermarket piece but I've looked around and can't find anything? The reason why I brought the design up was i wanna do the same but instead of the silver and stainless do the carbon fiber wrap. I have the drk. blue and thought of having the hood and roof done which because of the dark color and the carbon fiber being dark it would blend well. Would be suttle. I've seen hundred thousand dollar cars in gumball races with the wraps on so I would think their not scratching any paint. I've placed a big piece on the hood and had it follow the hood line on one side and looked good but? That's why it way down on the list.

Every design upgrade that Chip Foose made is supposedly available through Lund Cadillac in Phoenix AZ. Good luck trying to get anyone to communicate with you in regards to the upgrades.

http://www.chipfoose.com/ws_display...tem_id={8A0F94B1-3CCC-403D-B94E-917A511162E9}

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back