Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

So what's the deal with our body panels?

lucky_topher

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Raven Black XLR
I just remembered this today for some reason...

When we bought the car, they went through the normal add-on offerings at the dealership... tire/rim scratch/repair protection, etc.... then they got to the offer about ding/dent repair (unlimited for 2 yrs for $X00 or something like that)... but then said, "Oh, we can't offer you that on the XLR... the body panels are made of a special material and this offer doesn't apply"...

So I'm wondering, what makes them so special, and in the instance of a needed repair (door ding, unexpected hail, etc), is this gonna be a crazy thing to find someone who can actually fix it?

They are not metal parts, so you are not going to get dings. You may get the paint chipped, but no dings or dents.

I just remembered this today for some reason...

When we bought the car, they went through the normal add-on offerings at the dealership... tire/rim scratch/repair protection, etc.... then they got to the offer about ding/dent repair (unlimited for 2 yrs for $X00 or something like that)... but then said, "Oh, we can't offer you that on the XLR... the body panels are made of a special material and this offer doesn't apply"...

So I'm wondering, what makes them so special, and in the instance of a needed repair (door ding, unexpected hail, etc), is this gonna be a crazy thing to find someone who can actually fix it?

They are not metal parts, so you are not going to get dings. You may get the paint chipped, but no dings or dents.

Yea, the front fenders and rear quarter panels are SMC, more of a rubberized plastic, the hood, doors and trunk lid are fiberglass, and the roof is a aluminum, magnesium alloy.

All of the exterior body panels, except the front and rear facias are SMC (sheet molding composite) & painted body color. The SMC panels on the XLR are thicker than the panels on the Corvette

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom