Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Sometimes a picture is worth over 10%

Ruthie, I am just an old gray haired hippie from the Mountains, I thought you knew that. I have eaten a lot of peanut butter and jelly in my lifetime so I could afford the things I wanted. I still have the same furniture in my living room that I bought over fifty years ago. I am also known as a very frugal excentric. Live is fun and has been good even through the ups and downs, the good times and the hard times. :):):)

Well, the good part is you ate PB&J because you wanted too - there were times when we HAD too. I guess I am so sensitive to unemployment issues because I remember the days before UI .... when my dad, uncles, and friends closest to us would get "laid-off" from Convair in mass numbers, and those in the carpentry unions would have no work and stand with "for hire" signs in fronts of stores ... I remember one time when I was 3 and the Salvation Army came to our home on Christmas morning and brought a box of food, a doll for me and my sister and a toy western gun and holster for my brother (still our favorite charity to support - when my mother was passing away, one of her last checks was written to them for 18 Easter dinners) .... My parents were very proud and took no relief and could not believe that someone "cared" - my mom cried - I remember lay-offs as being part of our lives as my dad bounced between who "got" the contracts ... Convair, General Dynamics, Ryan, Rhor .... My mom did amazing things from the home to bring in $$ - even ironing for 10 cents a piece. Yeah, money was always tight for us. I ate worse than peanut butter and jelly. I had the best parents in the world. We didn't know we were poor - every Sunday was spent with the extended family, there was always a chicken in the pot, Pinochle games for the men, us kids playing crochet on the grassy lawns, women in the kitchen (!) and plenty of love to go around. The best part? My parents persevered and not only died with a few bucks in the bank, but 3 children who loved them dearly and I think have learned our lessons well.

Lots of great thoughts and ideas; however a few constants must be accepted. Here is the gospel according to Mark:

1) Trade schools are indeed a solution for many, but who wants what they can build/repair? If your tool box contains only one item, what do you do when that one breaks, wears out or worse - becomes outdated and useless..........?? (i.e., auto industry employee, steel mill worker, etc)

2) If I owned a very large, successful company and a Chinese (or Japanese, or Korean, or Mexican, or feel free to insert any country OTHER than ours here) investment firm offered me a great price - I would sell out in a minute. If they offered me cheap, reliable labor and huge breaks on developing required infrustructure; I would beat a path to their door. Afterall, they are competing in a GLOBAL economy, something Americans fail to recognize and continue to blame their poor track record on everyone but ourselves. We forced the expates, and did nothing to stop it. Don't blame corporate america for keeping their profits high; afterall many of my retirement investments are riding on their success!!

3) The majority of Americans want what they are not willing to work hard for. They want a politician to provide them with things they are not willing to work (and earn) for themselves. They want their doctor to cure an illness they could have prevented through a healthier lifestyle. They want plastic surgeons to provide them with looks they are not happy with - a very sad state of affairs indeed when one is so unhappy with their own looks they are willing to scar themselves - even kill themselves due to self-induced depression.........and don't get me started about the skyrocketing levels of Americans who seek medical attention for "clinical depression"..............:rolleyes:

4) Personal retirement accounts are just that - it is your (and mine) responsibility to prepare for life, today, tomorrow and most importantly the days that follow. My employer provides the vehicle for a portion of my retirement savings, however the pace at which I save and how I invest the funds is mine to decide. I don't need the government or anyone else to assist me in this endevour, I plan on having a sustainable level of income bolstered by my ability to sell skills I am developing for just that purpose.

5) And Most Importantly - There are too many Americans ! Too many mouths to feed, too many hands for the workload offered in this country and waaay too many "have-nots" who feel it is their God-given right to be supported by anyone and everyone but themselves.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom