Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Spring Cleaning!

HOMEGAMEROOM

My XLR/V(s)
2004 Light Platinum, President, "Midwest Marauders"
I think it's supposed to be relatively nice outside today - maybe it's time to blow the cobwebs out of the XLR!

Some members have had some issues with their cars that, had they had advance notice of the issue, could have been averted. A good "Spring Cleaning" of your car could help. here's one:

There is a little drain tube in the tub that holds the pump and brains for the folding top mechanism. Crawl under the car and make sure the drain tube is not blocked! If it fills up with dead bugs or gets sealed shut with road debris the area around the pump can fill with water, which will result in the failure of the pump. This is a very costly and avoidable repair!

I also like to give the seals for the roof and trunk a good cleaning and lubrication with silicone. This eliminates many squeaks that can occur and gets rid of any dirt that can scratch the mating surfaces.

Check the fluids, check the belts & hoses, change the oil (if it needs it), give it a good wax job, and you're ready to roll!!!

Does anyone else have anything to add that they think is a "must-do" maintenance item?

Is there any particular brand / form of silicone that you use?

Hi Rich,
We were teased with some warm weather here but it went cold again. Next weekend may be back into the 60's.

If it is dry I am itching to get the V out again. It has been tucked away since November.

See you in a few weeks.

Bob

Is there any particular brand / form of silicone that you use?

Silicone will stop squeaks, but attracts dust, dirt, offers no UV protection, (one of rubbers biggest foes) and if it gets on glass, is a major PITA to remove.

I use to use Armorall, but the greasy/oily residue (and streaked glass on the lower part of the windshield and upper doors) wasn't working for me.

I tried a number of other products, and after the fantastic results I got with Zaino polishes, gave their Z-16 Tire Gloss a try. I wasn't dissapointed. It has a low-gloss finish, protects against harmful UV rays, lasts a long time and keeps my seals pliable and squeak-free. It works on Tires, rubber seals and plastic.

Somebody on a Corvette forum turned me on to Zaino about six years ago, and like most others who've tried their products, I've become A True Believer.

Here's a link to scope out:

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2...ode=Z-16&Category_Code=Zaino&Product_Count=17

CC :wave:

I use Die-Electric silicon on all seals. Just put a little on my finger and rub it in. Keeps seals from drying out and cracking. Just do one a year,

Dave

I think it's supposed to be relatively nice outside today - maybe it's time to blow the cobwebs out of the XLR!

Some members have had some issues with their cars that, had they had advance notice of the issue, could have been averted. A good "Spring Cleaning" of your car could help. here's one:

There is a little drain tube in the tub that holds the pump and brains for the folding top mechanism. Crawl under the car and make sure the drain tube is not blocked! If it fills up with dead bugs or gets sealed shut with road debris the area around the pump can fill with water, which will result in the failure of the pump. This is a very costly and avoidable repair!

I also like to give the seals for the roof and trunk a good cleaning and lubrication with silicone. This eliminates many squeaks that can occur and gets rid of any dirt that can scratch the mating surfaces.

Check the fluids, check the belts & hoses, change the oil (if it needs it), give it a good wax job, and you're ready to roll!!!

Does anyone else have anything to add that they think is a "must-do" maintenance item?

Sound and valuable advice, especially with the seals and tube blockages. I've never thought about the convertible roofs much, but that could be something to really pay attention to. Just out of curiosity, how many times do you have your car belts checked per year? I heard once a year is good, but I don't know about that. I'll admit that with my last vehicle I never checked them once. :O

I use Die-Electric silicon on all seals. Just put a little on my finger and rub it in. Keeps seals from drying out and cracking. Just do one a year,

Dave

You are correct Dave, GM has been recommending this for years on weatherstrips, just make sure and wipe off the excess.

Silicone will stop squeaks, but attracts dust, dirt, offers no UV protection, (one of rubbers biggest foes) and if it gets on glass, is a major PITA to remove.

I use to use Armorall, but the greasy/oily residue (and streaked glass on the lower part of the windshield and upper doors) wasn't working for me.

I tried a number of other products, and after the fantastic results I got with Zaino polishes, gave their Z-16 Tire Gloss a try. I wasn't dissapointed. It has a low-gloss finish, protects against harmful UV rays, lasts a long time and keeps my seals pliable and squeak-free. It works on Tires, rubber seals and plastic.

Somebody on a Corvette forum turned me on to Zaino about six years ago, and like most others who've tried their products, I've become A True Believer.

Here's a link to scope out:

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2...ode=Z-16&Category_Code=Zaino&Product_Count=17

CC :wave:

Mother's brand Back in Black also works well on weatherstrips.:)

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom