Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Storage - 6 months questions

kenai

My XLR/V(s)
2004 crimson pearl
Hi all - will be storing car for 6 months; think'll go for inflating tires and flatstopers. what is better for battery/electrics - to disconnect battery or put on battery tender? any other items to consider with 6 mo storage?..thxs kenai

PS: indoor garage storage in AZ

Last edited:
Hi all - will be storing car for 6 months; think'll go for inflating tires and flatstopers. what is better for battery/electrics - to disconnect battery or put on battery tender? any other items to consider with 6 mo storage?..thxs kenai

What temperature storage? Indoor or only under cover? Mice? A battery tender is good, if somebody is going to check all is OK regularly. An engine oil change before you store might be good, depends on how many miles since last change. Filling the tank full of top quality gas is also generally seen as a good thing (use the highest grade you can find as gas loses octane over time). A stabilizer might be a useful additive. There is a max recommended tire pressure (which might be 40psi, but you need to check this) (it might be to do with the TPM system IIRC).

I'm sure you will get lots of advice!

What xlrlist01 said. Using the same advice, I stored my XLR for sixteen months, then drove it 800 miles to its new garage. The battery was fine since the Battery Tender minimizes plate sulphation.
A full tank of premium with fuel stabilizer worked great!

CCC :wave:

What xlrlist01 said. Using the same advice, I stored my XLR for sixteen months, then drove it 800 miles to its new garage. The battery was fine since the Battery Tender minimizes plate sulphation.
A full tank of premium with fuel stabilizer worked great!

CCC :wave:

Well I'm planning on being gone for 115 days. Besides a battery/trickle charger. Should I too put a fuel stabilizer in along with roping up the tank.
Also have another question pertaining to this issue

I am trying to get some info on the dos and don'ts on storage and battery tenders/trickle charger. I'm reading where it says find a good ground like bolt or other bare metal. But tire wise if I wanted to not have them stick to the garage cement floor. I'm also looking into the garage rubber tiles to help dress up the garage and so the tires won't stick to the floor.
Will this effect keeping a good ground charge for the battery tender/trickle charge?
Like I said I'm just trying to find the best route to take for when I have to hook up the tender.
I haven't yet bought anything and would like some advice please

I'm also thinking of putting something like this under the car when it is in the garage
atu4a8yq.jpg
or putting this down in the garage
apyhu8um.jpg

The first pic is only 4x8 mat for like under a golf cart size area or the rubber garage interlocking tiles

Last edited:
Well I'm planning on being gone for 115 days. Besides a battery/trickle charger. Should I too put a fuel stabilizer in along with roping up the tank.
Also have another question pertaining to this issue

I am trying to get some info on the dos and don'ts on storage and battery tenders/trickle charger. I'm reading where it says find a good ground like bolt or other bare metal. But tire wise if I wanted to not have them stick to the garage cement floor. I'm also looking into the garage rubber tiles to help dress up the garage and so the tires won't stick to the floor.
Will this effect keeping a good ground charge for the battery tender/trickle charge?
Like I said I'm just trying to find the best route to take for when I have to hook up the tender.
I haven't yet bought anything and would like some advice please

I'm also thinking of putting something like this under the car when it is in the garage
atu4a8yq.jpg
or putting this down in the garage
apyhu8um.jpg

The first pic is only 4x8 mat for like under a golf cart size area or the rubber garage interlocking tiles

I think what they Meant about a good ground is a clean ground. Which I have my battery tender leads mounted directly to the battery +&- . Only thing I would recommend is cleaning terminals before mounting and put di-electric grease on your terminals to help with corrosion.
As for your mats. The best way to save your tires is jack the car up and use jack stands in all four corners. I will start doing this when winter storage comes around. The previous two years the first time I would take out from storage the tires had flat spots from sitting all winter in the same position. I will now elevate the tires so their not touching the ground.
Maybe put some of that fuel treatment in from gm for the sender issues they have and make sure you fill the tank.

What temperature storage? Indoor or only under cover? Mice? A battery tender is good, if somebody is going to check all is OK regularly. An engine oil change before you store might be good, depends on how many miles since last change. Filling the tank full of top quality gas is also generally seen as a good thing (use the highest grade you can find as gas loses octane over time). A stabilizer might be a useful additive. There is a max recommended tire pressure (which might be 40psi, but you need to check this) (it might be to do with the TPM system IIRC).

I'm sure you will get lots of advice!

IMHO. Run the fuel down to below 1/4 tank. Add a can of Seafoam BEFORE filling up (so that stabilizer get mixed in both tanks when filling). Fill up close to home. Detail the car in the driveway. Put into garage and do an oil change running the engine just a minimum. Attach battery tender directly to battery running cord from underneath so you can shut the hood. Inflate the tires near max pressure (I use 45 psi on my tires with a 50psi max) when COLD to prevent flatspots. Cover. Place a few mouse traps around near the tires. Store the fobs more than 30ft away. Shed a tear and take a deep breath.

Thanks all for the info and feedback. I have around a yr and 7 months before I leave. But trying to prepare and get all feedback I can before I leave. That way when it comes time to leave her I'll be ready but with tears. :crying:
Yes, phred I will shed a tear. Because my nephew will probably be staying at my condo to take care of my dog.
When he found out that he will be staying here and then close to my maybe taking my car out a couple weeks at a time. I saw his eyes get very wide. But then I also said I might put her on a tender. So I don't know exactly. I trust him to a certain point. But I also know that I might return to a car with several scratches and find out other problems when I return. Luckily I have the car on Onstar and can check the mileage and other goodies online. But I will need a wifi area because I don't like to use the internet time on the ship. It's not so great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm stepping into this thread a little late, but I wrote the following article for my other site - CorvetteActionCenter.com for the long term / winter storage of Corvettes. However the article pretty much relates to any automobile:

Corvette Action Center | Tech Center | Practical Corvette Care 101 | Corvette Long-Term / Winter Storage

I just want to mention that mothballs are toxic to pets. Use with caution if your pets ever get around your car. Some rodent poisons can cause harm to your pet if they eat a rodent that dies from the poison.

I've also used crumpled up aluminum foil stuffed into the exhaust. If your forget it, no problem.

Went window shopping today to get some ideas on good tender/trick chargers
y7u2yzuv.jpg
unarenu7.jpg
thinking of going with either the $40 one(L). Or maybe the $50 (R)
The 2nd pic is the $20 one. Both are Schumacher tenders

Went window shopping today to get some ideas on good tender/trick chargers
y7u2yzuv.jpg
unarenu7.jpg
thinking of going with either the $40 one(L). Or maybe the $50 (R)
The 2nd pic is the $20 one. Both are Schumacher tenders

From the looks of the pictures, I use the one in the 2nd pic. Have had no problems at all with it. Just my 2cnts.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom