Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Success - Bluetooth and IPOD interfaces installed

majik755

:D Thanks to all on the battery information. As promised my update: I now have my IPhone 3G and IPOD working through the XLR's audio and OnStar system. I installed the CoStar Tech BlueSTAR PnP GM Class II kit. Took only about 10 minutes once I figured out which pair of connectors to use from the VCIM, white was the OnStar and black were the NAVI system (thankfully I bought the Service Manuals). Just unplugged the OnStar from VCIM and plugged into BlueSTAR. Done deal, use the OnStar buttons to answer calls, mutes radio, and sounds great. Second installation was a SoundGate GMPD2 IPOD interface. Found XM connector at upper portion of passenger seat, in the trunk area (didn't have XM unit installed). Used connectors provided, plugged it in and ran IPOD connector into storage area between seats. Connected IPOD and use XM features on radio screen to operate. Can select playlist and scroll through songs from screen. Total time, including searching and research in service manuals was about 40 minutes. Now need to take it for a ride, interior is much roomier than trunk! Thanks again for all the help with my questions.

Congrats....Where did you get the hardware and how much did each item cost, if I may ask?:cool:

The bluetooth interface cost me $249

It was the BlueSTAR PnP Class 2 kit from www.costartech.com

I spent $159.95 for the SoundGate GMPD2 IPOD interface kit at
www.logjamelectronics.com but it seems to be the same unit the XFireXLR spotted on Amazon. You will need the power adapter as well if you have an IPhone 3G or brand new ITouch because of the 5v power reqs, the older IPODs like my Nano work fine without it. It has no effect on the use, just the charging of the newer units.

So far all worked fine except an issue of the use of the phone when in IPOD mode, although it places the call and mutes the music, after a second the IPOD music resumes blocking out calls. I can get around this by switching to radio or turning off the radio before placing a call, which makes sense anyway but is annoying. It may just be the switch settings on the SoundGate so I've emailed tech support and will let you know what I find out.

Other than that I can select from of my playlists and then can skip forward and backward through music while its playing.

The Bluetooth works well with my IPhone, and works great except as noted above when I'm listening to the IPOD. Hopefully that will resolve with the switch settings, otherwise I just have to remember to hit the radio off switch before the OnStar answer button, but nowadays even an extra button push is annoying, maybe I'm just getting old. :ugh:

I've been wanting to buy a Bluestar but when I go to the website it says they are not available until 1/13. I've emailed many times to see if the have any and get no responce.

:( Car sold

No longer have my XLR, but I did remove the BlueStar and SoundGate GMPD2 interfaces. They were installed on my 2005, and I think work for model years 04-06. If you're interested, PM me and I'll be glad to send either to you to try. Because they were installed and used, I hesitate to sell them, just request you reimburse postage after you had a chance to check them out. Windscreen, shop manuals and scale models on sale on EBay under my screen name, they're all almost new/or new. PM me if interested.

Do you lose the Voice control for the Nav and radio with this unit? How about the steering wheel controls for volume and radio presets?

My units have already been sent to others to try.

In response to danno's questions, the steering wheel functions all continued to work. I really never used voice controls, so I'm not sure, but I wouldn't think they were affected. The only functionality I know was disabled by the BlueStar was the OnStar, because it used the VCIM connections from the OnStar to plug into the BlueStar, and there were no cables to plug back into the OnStar part of the VCIM. You may want to go to CoStart tech's website, they are very good about responding to technical questions.

soundgate

what year is your XLR? I have a 2004 and purchased the GMPD2 but can not get it to display on the screen. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm late to this game, but I seriously need my Iphone5 hooked up.:naughty: LOL. I have a 2007 and in CA drivers are required:reddevil to use bluetooth and it would be nice to use the XLR system if at all possible.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom